Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Book or tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 09:54
I think it would be great if there was a book written to help you learn c++ and this sdk. Kind of like the Game programming with dark basic.

I have been learning c++ but don't know enough yet to do tutorials. This book should be written by a professional programmer/writer. It should start out with the basics, to get the reader up to speed on the c++ language then it should go into creating a game from scratch using DGSDK, including the modeling, sound etc... using programs such as Milkshape, audacity, PSP. Like the book 3D game programming all in one using the Torque engine.

This could also be done by a person or persons in this forum that that really know their s@#t about programming with c++.

I really don't think I know enough yet to do this myself but would be willing to help out any way I could. I could probably do some very basic tutorials but when it gets classes and advanced data types and things like that I'm still kind of behind the power curve!!!

This is my 2 cents worth. If anyone has any ideas or comments post in this thread!

Dragonslayer
sempre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 11:29
Greetings,

Recently started writing a book about the DarkGame SDK. It will cover the SDK in depth plus game programming techniques, the book will assume though that you already know how to code in C++. Still the book will be targeted at beginners and intermediate game developers. I might soon post the table of contents once it is frozen so that the community and get an insight. At this point I have no big publishers committed but the good people at TGC are willing to publish it in e-book format and maybe on paperback. I’ll keep everyone posted on this thread.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 22:04
Dragonslayer:

I still want to do it, just until I leave Honduras, I am totally slammed.

-This...is my boomstick!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2005 22:12
book? I hate book. Book is stupid.

^ The above is an inside DB joke.

I think its a good idea, if you can get it published I will buy it .

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 07:48 Edited at: 14th Jan 2005 08:02
Cellbloc studios

I remember in another post discussing this with you. I was not sure you were still into it. Keep us updated, I will try to help as much as I can(as far as my limited knowledge will take me).

I have been reading up on classes now I need to fire up MS C++ and try to create a small program with a small class or two in it and then spend a few days trying to figure out the 25 errors I'm sure I will have.

Sempre
I do check out profiles and go to the websites, I checked out your site still under construction but what you have and the way it opens up is really pretty sharp I like it but maybe shorten the intro up a little that may take a while to run on 56k I have dsl and it ran pretty fast but still seemed a little long.

I'm pretty sure that is Flash right? I can build sites but don't really know Flash that well, learning flash is on my to do list but I just can't stop trying to learn C++!

Dragonslayer
sempre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 08:38
Dragonslayer

Sorry for the web site being under construction, it’s our third version (never satisfied with the previous I guess). Anyway we are a software development incorporated in January 2001 based in Puerto Rico. We specialize in information systems and biometrics. We have done some games for our clients in the past, but I mostly do it as a hobby since the market in PR for games is pretty small. The actual site should be up in a few weeks and will be HTML based. The only thing is flash is the intro.

Cellbloc Studios

What kind of book tutorials do you have a mind? Maybe we can work on something complementary.
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:08
Just because the market in PR is small for games does not matter. You have the web, man! With properly promoted, well made and thought out website you will sell games.

Dragonslayer
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 01:03
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 07:30
I have been away playing around with some affiliate programs I was stupid enough to get involved with. I want to make a living with my computer but I don't think affilite programs is the answer. I think they are all hype to get you in and then only the people that got in in the very beginning are making the money. I think I would much rather continue to learn programming and 3D graphics and make money selling my games and 3D products. This is not easy either but it is much more fun!!!

So has any one gave my Idea in this post any more thought?

Dragonslayer
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:26
Everyday. Still stuck in Honduras.

-This...is my boomstick!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:57:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:57:35