Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / More in game Level Pics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:16
This is an example of a scene with and without lightmapping.

Firstly the View without the lightmapping and with ambient light up full.

Full size image attached.

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:18 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 06:23
Next a view with Full lightmapping.

Full version attached.

You can see on this picture the shadows cast by the windows on the terminals at the back.

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"

Attachments

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:20
This is the view of the level editor which created that view.

You can see the white light outside and the blue lights attached to the terminals to make them glow.

Full view attached.

----

Attachments

Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:41 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 06:43
I also notice the light coming in from the outside through the windows. Fantastic effect. Looks like you can make some really eerie looking games with this. Great screenies jasuk70. Thanks a lot! Getting us all excited!
some questions though, how long does it take to render a full quality light map and what spec PC are you running?
Secondly, where have you placed the lights for the computer screens It looks like you have placed inside the screens on the editor but I couldnt tell...
Thanks again!
edit: you mentioned yourself about the light outside the windows. sorry. I was too busy looking at the pictures... such is life...

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:49 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 06:50
This gives you a better view of how the screen lights have been placed....

This took me around 4 hours on a Athlon XP 2800 1gb ram. Quick lightmapping is great for testing and when you get to creating the final game, full lightmapping gives it that extra polish.

The external light you can see on the first map editor view just outside of the green windows.

And looking at this picture i can see i've missed a blue light on one of the terminals

Jas

----
Noah
Years of Service
User Offline
In that case it'll probably take 7 hours on my PC.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 06:55
It all depends on the size and complexity of the level you are working on so each time it will probably be different.

Jas

----
Noah
Years of Service
User Offline
it's not going to take 7 hours for every level when exporting the game, right?
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 07:05
You only turn full lightmapping on when you have finished desiging. The quick lightmapping is more than enough to give you an idea of how the view will look while you are desiging (And it only takes a few seconds) And the amount of time to render in full lightmapping is really dependant on what you have in the scene, lights, entities etc. etc. As you can see in the one above there were lots and lots and lots of lights to calculate.

Jas

----
Noah
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh sorry i didnt see that there was full lighting and quick lighting.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 07:42
It's stressed throughout the documentation that you should only use full lightmapping when you're absolutely sure that you're about to build your final version. You use quick lightmapping when you test your levels and that only takes 30 seconds to compile

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks "jasuk70" for the full lightmapped screenshots. Looks awesome. I get more impressed with every screenshot posted. =)
I belive i was the one requesting these shots from you.
Do you think you can post a screenshot of the
entity editor or the segment editor..
Thanks once more for the screens. Your the best "jasuk70"
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 09:52
I think the 4 hours comment was talking about creating the level right? please tell me it didnt take 4 hours to lightmap the level?
Either way, if that took you 4 hours to create that level - GOOD WORK! If you bothered to wait 4 hours for lightmapping - GOOD WORK!
Either way, you're a legend, cheers for the shots. I see how you did the lights now.
Do you know if you can have directional lights like spotlights? or is it just "one bulb fits all" kinda thing?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 10:34
No, it took 4 hours to automatically create the lightmap, it's something you should only do once when you're absolutely sure you've finished the game. You set it to build and then leave the room.

Hence why we have the 'Quick Lightmap' option which creates much more simple lightmaps in less than a minute.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 13:10
@ Exeat or any one who has tested FPSC

Ok. Tell me how long it will take to load a level with lightmap(not quik lightmap), not to test it though. If it's more than 30 seconds (thats longer than you think )... well that is a lot of loading witch isn't to great at all.

Thanks
(sorry if my wording wasn't right. Didn't konw how else to say what I said)

www.geocities.com/vgamestuff
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 16:44
Actually loading the game after building it is pretty quick. Jas' map would probably take 10-20 seconds to load.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 16:46
MaddA,

The level doesn't get saved out with a lightmap.

If your talking about loading a game, that has had full lightmapping applied to it, it is simply like any other lightmap, all it is is a texture overlay.

It calculates it all once ( In this case, it took 4 hours to do it all ), and saves it as a texture.

On game load, it loads in all the textures, including the lightmaps, and just sticks them on the objects appropriatly ( no different to how you do it in DarkBASIC ).

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 18:17 Edited at: 15th Jan 2005 18:17
So thats what the Full light mapping looks like , Nice lightmap job.
I actually haven't tried full light mapping yet TBH, just played with quick light mapping so far.

Eric

BTW: Fancy lookin map ya got there

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 18:23
I really don't get this... It took 4 hours to make the final lightmapping? How come this is so long? Is that normal?

Don't eat yellow snow!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 18:54
@Chimera: Think of a ray tracing package, Most of them, when set to a high quality mode, you start rendering the scene and come back later. It's similar to creating a FULL Lightmap for the level you have generated. Up to that point on the ray tracing package, you probably use a quick render to make sure everyting is where you want it to be, and you only do proper rendering when it's finished.

Hope that helps explain it.

Jas

----
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 19:05
It does, thx

Don't eat yellow snow!
Noah
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait, when you build/export the game, how long does it take? I dont get it.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2005 20:44
oh, ok. This all makes sense now. It does look bloody good though. Could you do us a favour and render the same shot as the one above with quick lightmapping? Just want to compare! Thnx

MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 00:48
Thank you Jess

(like your invader zim fourm pic. itz cool. I can never get my own pic in because it never works !!!)

www.geocities.com/vgamestuff

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:40:08