Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Collision and model files

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 09:06
I have another question for the Beta testers.
One would normally expect collision with world type blocks or walls to be reasonable.

Can you give us though an indication of how good or bad collision by player and enemies with entity models is : i.e. collision with x.models files.

For instance if an .x file model was used for a box or crate :

What level of collision quality would the player or eneny have with it? Could they walk through or partially through it? Can they jump on top of it or would they fall through it? Or does it depend on the quality of the model? i.e. the size of the model, number of plygons, or not? Or is collison detection absolute?

Some general indication would be helpful to me at least.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 17:00
I'm not 100 sure, but I think a lower detail version of the mesh is created for level collision, while bullet collision uses the full mesh. The collision detection is really good, I shot the heck out of a chair as a test, and it left a clean outline on the wall behind it - the bullet decals seem spot on.

The tables etc, they can all be jumped on, any object in fact can be climbed on in the right circumstances.

If your planning on starting on media, then I'd say go for it but keep the polycounts sensible, like don't spend time on stuff that your not sure will work, but for the most part it should pan out as you expect.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 17:08
Quote: "I shot the heck out of a chair as a test, and it left a clean outline on the wall behind it - the bullet decals seem spot on."

yeah, test. pull the other one! You just got excited that you could stand there and shoot at a virtual object infinitely. Come on, admit it... we all have these urges sometimes.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:09
Ok I admit it - I'd already written my name on the other wall (which I always do when there's enough decals), so I decided to see how many I could spend on a chair as well.

I'm not too sure about bullet to character collision, nothing struck me as out of the ordinary though, I shot em and they fell down .

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:44
Quote: "I shot em and they fell down"

I'm preparing myself for a slew of comments now saying "Thanks for clearing that up!" and "did they fall down quick or slowly?" "Whats the average speed of the fall? or do they always fall at the same rate?"
damn you and your privaleged position.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 18:57
thanks
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:24
Collision seems fine. It is normal sliding collision as with other FPS games. There was a time when you could run through enemies if you were running fast enough, but that has since been sorted.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Evarcha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:33
[quote]I'm preparing myself for a slew of comments now saying "Thanks for clearing that up!" and "did they fall down quick or slowly?" "Whats the average speed of the fall? or do they always fall at the same rate?"

I'll get my coat....(i am curious though, hahaha, just kiddin!)
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 20:48
[/quote]There was a time when you could run through enemies if you were running fast enough, but that has since been sorted.
Quote: "
Thats a Matrix move if ever I heard one! lol

"
I'll get my coat....[quote]
After I posted that, I actually did start to wonder!

PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 22:44 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 04:35
i realise that most of these points will apply to 'level geometry', but rather than start a new thread on collision, i thought i'd just tuck it into this one

i've noticed some collision 'oddities':

- when blasting an enemy with my trusty shotgun, he/she frequently gets blown back half-through (or all the way through) the walls. in a couple of really interesting instances, the enemy disappared completely and then simply walked back out through the wall to resume his attack.

- when i place an enemy in the back part of the science lab, he/she will run through the window to attack me. the interesting thing is that the glass stays intact

- i've also noticed that 'point blank' shotgun fire (occasionally) has no effect on the enemy, while stepping back a foot or two delivers the blow effectively. i'm not so close as to have the shotgun actually 'through' the enemey mind you... just very close.

i find these to be interesting issues and wanted to share them with the community.

peace.

Professional Atmospheric Skybox Textures
http://skymatter.thegamecreators.com
jcleaver
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, I can run through enemies. At least the zombies in my level.
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
PocoRev - I have observed all of this behavior as well. I suggest we try adding colon to the start of the entity appear scripts and see if that reduces or solves this odd behavior.

(player collision was removed from entities to avoid trapping the player apparently. I don't know that this will resolve any of these clipping issues, but it's worth a shot. I will experiment this evening)
PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 02:12 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 04:35
@ Cloud of Crows Studios - sounds interesting... i'm going to do what you propose and will report on my findings.

PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 03:56 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 04:35
ok... after trying what 'Cloud of Crows Studios' suggested i have found that the 'jumping through the glass' and being 'blown through a wall' issues are still taking place.

if there is any noticable difference at all, i'd have to say that 'some' of the enemies are acting a bit more 'dense' than usual. whereas before they would move toward me in an aggressive posture, 'some' of them are turning away and 'day dreaming' a bit lol...

anyhoo... a worthwhile experiment but alas - not successful. (for me at least)

Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 05:13 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 05:13
Quote: "if there is any noticable difference at all, i'd have to say that 'some' of the enemies are acting a bit more 'dense' than usual. "

A trait common to zombies, but probably not useful for evil nazis, ninjas, and robotic commandos

Well it was worth a shot, but I guess the entity collision systems needs more tweaking. See also my "sliding zombie bug" on the big Ominous bug list. Methinks there's a lot under the hood that needs some work where dynamic entities are concerned.

Thanks for testing though PocoRev.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 05:18
Again issues which need TGC atention. So too collision on death - if the body is left again enemies may well dissapear in whole or in part through walls etc. I presume that collision is switched off by default on death (for the same reasons I guess) so they then get through things before coming to a complete stop. I have not yet looked whether or not this can be addressed in the scripts. Curently I am working on segments and the difficulties with making your own windows, doors, corridors and so on. I will get around to the AI later - enough problems for now.

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 09:19
@Cloud of Crows

You have a sliding zombie bug in my list? I haven't seen it. Is it in the thread? If not, I need to add it.

Now is the winter of your discontent.
-Stewie from Family Guy
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 19:30
OK, great feedback, we'll take a look at the enemy collision system.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 20:07:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 20:07:23