Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Jan 17th update

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 06:46
Hi all, final testing continues this week. Many areas are now "in the bag" and lots and lots of bugs squashed for good. We have even had time to add some cool ideas to the product - player check points is one idea that was so simple to implement, Lee coded it in a matter of hours and we had the system infrastructure setup for it to easily slot in to place.

There are still a number of bugs to sort out and Lee is also creating 2 example games to go in with the EA release. I have almost completed the manual and the software is now installable (not just a big zip file).

We'll see how this week progresses re squashing the bug list and give you an update on Friday.

It's really interesting to see what the some of the testers are creating - FPSC is such a creative tool! Users will push it in all sorts of directions, it's going to be great FUN! I made a few games late last week as part of my testing sessions. One game was called Ladies Night, you had to kill a number of gun wielding women before falling through a hole in the floor door to a secret room. There you landed in the centre of a room surrounded by 8 grenade throwing women! Totally mad game and great fun (and it only took 1 hour to make).

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 07:09
Here's a pic from my ladies night game! I grabbed it on the latest build which currently has lost the keys for setting ambient light level, so it's not the best it can be. It show me fighting those grenade mad ladies...

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Sound like Great fun and thanks for the awesome update
on the progress of fpsc.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
And the Cool Screenshot.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 07:11
One more pic from another game I knocked up on Friday. This one is a sci fi shooter. I placed the enemy character Conker on some platforms and made them non-moveable. They track me as I run around and shoot their guns at me (at the rate I chose). Again, this was a very quick creation, less than 1 hour.

Commercial Director
TGC Team

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 07:14
Quote: "One game was called Ladies Night, you had to kill a number of gun wielding women before falling through a hole in the floor door to a secret room. There you landed in the centre of a room surrounded by 8 grenade throwing women! Totally mad game and great fun (and it only took 1 hour to make)."

Wow, and I thought a few of my ideas we're crazy

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
Ali M Oldboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 16:03
Wow! Sounds GREAT fun!

As soon as it comes out GETTING IT!

-- Nukesoft --
-- Tv has changed our lives...FOREVER! --
Please feel free to visit the nukesoft forums! :: http://nukesoftforum.uni.cc
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 16:28
Hehe, nice to see I'm not the only one who likes to take Simons models down a peg or two . Glad that ambient lighting is stuffed too, I left my PC on overnight rendering a lightmap then could'nt tell if it had worked this morning.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 16:36
Quote: "I placed the enemy character Conker on some platforms and made them non-moveable. They track me as I run around and shoot their guns at me (at the rate I chose) "

Like a gun fixed gun turet!!

dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 1,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
http://www.granadagames.com/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 16:57
Quote: "Like a gun fixed gun turet!!"

Hell yeah! - like the 50mm tripod sentries in Aliens.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 17:07
Set in a hole above some steps so when you do down the steps the gun opens fire from behind you

dave

Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 1,1AMD Athlon(tm)XP 3200+ Barton 2.20 GHz ,1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB DDR
http://www.granadagames.com/
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 17:27
I'm currently setting myself a challange for the next level. I've turned ambient light off and i have to light the scene totaly via placing lights on the wall and putting light markers where the lights are. Some of the results so far are quite impressive.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 19:57
We'll judge what's impressive and not.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 21:45 Edited at: 18th Jan 2005 21:48
Rick V,

What exactly are : "player check points" and what function do they have?

I understand the general description of a check point of course, but how do you see FPSC "player check points" being used?

By the way thank you for this update info and the promised Friday one - this is what was always needed to keep the forum Mellow while the awaited release is progressed.

Much appreciated by all
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2005 23:28
Maybe its like an auto save-game. i thought he meant "way points" which would have been wierd...

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 00:34
@Exeat, I was mainly talking about having no ambient light and lighting the areas with light markers makes it look impressive. Having dark corridors that lead into pich black can look really spooky.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 02:49
The player check point is a saved location that the game remembers for when and if the player loses a life. Saves the player starting all the way back to the start of the level.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 02:59
Can you guys please throw some more screenies up?

I would love to see some more!

Thanks

The Nerd

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 07:23
RickV,

Thanks for the explanation of what the player check point does.

Thats excellent news.

Can you say if this check point extends to the current state of all gameplay at the point of check point or just the player stats? The name player check point would seem to indicate not.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2005 07:56
Quote: "@Exeat, I was mainly talking about having no ambient light and lighting the areas with light markers makes it look impressive. Having dark corridors that lead into pich black can look really spooky."

I know, I'm just kidding.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking Good Rick... Thx for the update.

--Mike

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:47:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:47:05