Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / For the developers - Is this a thriving, long term product?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 21:49
Hi,

Please bear with me during this longish post.

I've looked at DBP and now I've looked at the DGSDK (unfortunately can't find a trial download of this). I love OOP, and as I know Java and have used C in the past, C++ should be largely a doddle for me. So my preference is obviously for the DGSDK over DBP.

Because C++ is a more difficult language to learn than basic, there are obviously less developers on this forum. From some of the comments in various threads it seems that perhaps this SDK is destined for the bin. Comments have been made about lack of resources working on upgrades, upgrades stalled because other products have kidnapped the developers etc. Coupled with the lack of numbers using the product, this makes me feel very edgy about spending my money on the SDK and the M$ products that go with it.

So, developers of the SDK...is this a viable, regularly updated product, part of your long term strategic portfolio, and worth buying? You may all laugh out loud that I'm asking the people selling the product this question! But I have an innate trust of developers. If it was marketing I was asking then I wouldn't even bother sending the mail

Thanks,

Troll.
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 03:49
Oh hell yes, this product is really cool, and with the benefit of OO this products whips the llamas ass.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 04:02
The Dark Game SDK is a very important product to us and there's no way it's going to be dropped. I continue to see it being developed over a very long period of time with all kinds of improvements.

We are currently working on an upgrade and when it's released it will bring many new features and additions to the SDK. As soon as there's more info on this I'll post a message about it.

Mike
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 20:05
Thanks guys. Poor old llama!

Well, maybe I'll risk it then. Feck it, I WILL risk it. What else would I spend the wife's money on in the middle of a bog in the west of Ireland?
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 20:12
PS

User feedback

Moderators, I know why you do it, but it's intensely frustrating to have your posts held up because you are new to the forum. That's exactly the time when you NEED to get quick answers (and also the time you guys should show newbies how useful the forums are so you capture them!)

I honestly nearly lost interest in this product purely because it was taking so long to get any information about it here. Once the posts appear the feedback is fast, but having your questions lost in cyberspace (for 24 hours at times) is mightily frustrating.

No flame, just feedback.

T.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 20:30
Quote: "Moderators, I know why you do it, but it's intensely frustrating to have your posts held up because you are new to the forum. That's exactly the time when you NEED to get quick answers (and also the time you guys should show newbies how useful the forums are so you capture them!)"

Understood, but there is nothing we can do about it I am afraid. The long and short of it is - morons abuse forums and we have had a history of it in the past - idiots posting offensive images, etc - it was that which drove us to implement this in the first place, so it's not just there for the "fun" of it, believe me.

The "approval" status doesn't last long, it will automatically turn itself off after a while, and all moderators can approve posts so there would never be a wait of 24 hours, it's significantly less than this.

Cheers,

Rich

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Unkelben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 23:45
I switched to the SDK and it was a great choice.

- Faster!
- More flexible!
- Visual C Editor is much more powerful than Dark Basic's
- The Visual Studio debugger kicks ass

Jonathan
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 01:30
Indeedly do - just want the sprite problems sorted

Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 23:57
Thanks folks, I'll probably buy both. I'd like to be able to help out with the Daggerfall remake, so I'd need DBP for that. But for myself I'd prefer the DGSDK.

T.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:59:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:59:37