Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / map making only in FPS ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 14:58
Hi Folks ! I am sorry for those many threads ...but i am new and i have many many questions not answered in the faq or anywhere else.
I heard you can import meshes and use them in your game....with full collision detection.
IF the CD ( collision... ) is that good....then you should be able to make entire levels in a modelling program and import them ....right ?
just a thought
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 15:43
It would be very, very, very unweildy and won't allow the visibiolity system to optimise your level. Hence then game'd run slow.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2005 23:28
David,

Does that mean that the visibility system only calculates for elements (wals and such like) created in the editor and not for say mesh imported?

I ask in ref to some other posts here regarding using models for more complex geometry with a view to gaining an understanding of how various elements and their balance in numbers might affect frame rates.

Thanks
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 00:28 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2005 00:30
Well imagine you have imported a wall the is the whole size of your level, like a perimiter wall that surrounds everything - because that's a single mesh, it can't cull the detail off the screen, but if it's in little bits, it only needs to display the bits on screen and check collision on them as well. Also, once your imported wall is in, you could'nt do very much with it, whereas if it's segmented you could add windows etc.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 00:29
I think it's a form of portal system, so yes.

I could be wrong of course.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2005 00:47
Well then the word segement as it pertains to FPSC is quite perfect and I can see how it got the name.

Van, That would suggest to me then that one would ideally use the internal editor walls for boundaries and fit them in pieces. I cant see why anyone would want use mesh for a complete boundary anyway unless it needed to be a complex shape which could not be put together in the editor in some way.

Again I dont know what I am talking about do I cos I have not used FPSC but understand I think what you say. When it comes out I am sure it wont take very long to find the best options for optimisation.

Thank you all for your help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:09:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:09:35