Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 09:07
Anyone testing out FPSC care to try an enemy at a level above the player i.e. on a walkway without barriers and tell me if you can get an enemy which shoots at the player to stay up there and follow any kind of path and not move directly toward the player in attack?

Obviously I dont refer to an enemy that is forced to stand in one place and shoot the player - I mean a roaming enemy that can walk around and possibly down a staircase or something on his way towards the player. Just trying to ascertain what level of control there is.

Can this be achieved?

Maybe this would require scripting or other time consuming effort so if its a hassle then give it a miss.

thanks
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 20:03
Anyone? I guess not
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 21:33
Coldnews perhaps? He's very active with FPSC now. Maybe he'll respond soon, no?

Don't eat yellow snow!
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 04:51
@uman
I'm not too sure what you mean, do you want to know if an enemy on a level above the player will shoot at you? Or whether an enemy will walk down stairs and shoot at you...? I'll gladly try both.
@Chimera: Its nice to know I'm known on here for something! not bad for a newb am i?

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 04:56 Edited at: 27th Jan 2005 05:54
You could set an enemy to static, and he'd shoot at you from above, or he'd pathfind his way down the stairs.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 05:34
DavidT,

Thanks for that.

"You could set an enemy to static, and he'd shoot at you from above, or he'd pathfind his way fown the stairs".

He Would! Then youv'e made my day.
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 00:39
The guy is asking if the enemy is stupid as a bird and will jump straight towards the player from a 10 story building just to attack the player, or if the enemy is smart enough to stay up there and shoot down.

Animecivil
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 02:19
Animecivil,

Actually I was not concerned at all about an enenmy staying at rooftop level to shoot at the player as that should be posible - if its not its a disapointment. But your observation about the enemy jumping straight off the top of a building and heading directly towards the player gets to the basic the point of the question.

Obviously if we were on top a 10 story building and wanted to get to someone below we would not jump off the roof but make a way to a path of elevator to get down - thats the point.

I was wanted to know if enemy AI/pathfinding was capable of ensuring an enemy does exactly that - i.e. ignores the player and chooses the human like method of using brains and find/use the stairs en-route to the player.

DavidT has suggested that this is indeed the case - lets hope so.

I have a number of levels where something more than rudementary AI would be more than helpful - hopefully thats what we will get, albeit with perhaps a measure of FPI scripting effort.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:15:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:15:54