Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 19:12
Maybe we can't make cut-scenes in FPSC but whats even better would be to just use a programme like FRAPS and script the enemys. Record clips for a cut-scene then edit them in an editing programme! I think it's possible to script your player so he/she flouts, but I'm not sure. It would make your game alot more creative by using these Machinima techniques.

Cheers
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 19:34
That won't be particularly helpful since FPSC cannot play video files as cutscenes at the moment.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 19:40
Jordan, ur so late in these discussions that it actually hurts my head.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 19:44
whats up coldnews ? i think a normal answer would me much more informative and apprechiated here.

yeah...thats the ticket !
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 20:01
mine just hurts more and more as time goes on here - so I keep taking the tablets
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive started to keep out of discussions because every question we cover and every answer we get someone comes along talking about the same thing.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2005 22:46
Well, no. I didn't ask any questions. I already knew there was a Machinima thread and no i didn't know that FPS Creator didn't play video files. My apologys
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 03:30
You're not the one that should be apologizing, Jordan.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 05:00
well, its really irritating that people dont search the forums properly. I was not one of the "first wave" of people that came on here, and I sat and read through all the posts I could before I started actually asking questions because I know how annoying it is to go asking a question or subject thats been asked before. I'm just waiting for the EA to come out and to get another wave of "can i do X feature with EA version" or "should I get the EA version or should I wait for version 1". I also think that TGC should make an FAQ as SOON as they finish the EA version, because I'm just bored of what is being discussed on here. Sorry, Im being rude...

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 05:28
Coldnews then thats just the way you are and thats fine. But everyones different. People have asked such questions on all Forums since time immemorial despite being asked to read the FAQ before posting. Actually sometimes FAQ threads dont answer peoples questions adequately anyway although they may provide an answer in sorts people often are looking for more detailed info and they may not understand what they read anyway - so naturally they seek a more descriptive one.

Many here like yourself are in need of somewhat more creative and specific relevant questions regarding FPSC and are somewhat bored with the topic of conversation going around, but its difficult to find new topics when we are considering a product which we have no practical experience of and answers we cannot relate to again in practise. We could all refrain from posting at all of course but I would not suggest that.

Patience is difficult to sustain for us all and I am sure that once the release comes we shall see a host of more of those interesting, relevant questions and answers we seek.

I fear however, that the niggling type consversations as seen by some which have always been around poping up in Forums may still persist as a natural consequence of Forums in general.

Peace to all
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 21:32
Quote: "Sorry, Im being rude...
"

Quote: " Coldnews then thats just the way you are and thats fine."

:p
Quote: "I fear however, that the niggling type consversations as seen by some which have always been around poping up in Forums may still persist as a natural consequence of Forums in general."

Yep. I just joined a new forum and got flamed myself. Apparently EVERYONE knows how to build a PC. lol.

Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 05:55
DAMN IT! READ THE POSTS BEFORE THIS! I explained EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVERYYYYTHING on how to do cutscenes, get them as a mpeg, and play them as an ordinary movie.

Animecivil
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
So how do you think that you will be able to play those mpegs in the middle of a running game when its not supported by the game engine?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 08:33
"DAMN IT! READ THE POSTS BEFORE THIS! I explained EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVERYYYYTHING on how to do cutscenes, get them as a mpeg, and play them as an ordinary movie"

Not really a practical suggestion with FPSC. The best you are likely to get is the posibility of using a launch prog/wrapper showing the story before game start. Any story telling during gameplay is likely to have to be restricted to screen bitmap type or text overlays of some kind. We may of course be able to use mix that with audio at the start of each level say to add effect which would good. Next best thing to video I suppose.

I guess it may be possible for someone with enough skill and knowledge to interupt the gameplay grab the screen and run a cut scene video then release it back to the game - but thats an extremely difficult task which would be a major programming undertaking I recon - not worth the attempt and beyond most of us anyway. Some progs and FPSC may be one of them - will not allow full screen control to two progs at once.

I suspect there will be no easy option for a substitute to an in built FPSC cut scene/cut scene video capability which was designed to do the job properly.

Nice though that would be, if you are making games for download via the internet then remember that a large game size could be increased dramatically with the addition of your cut scenes which is why perhaps TGC have not included such a facility? It would be great to have the option though and I am all for options as you know.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 15:39
animecivil knows how to use FPS without having even used a copy of it. amazing!

Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 00:38
Yup, I am tda MASTA! The reason why I know this is because I have the tools to do this stuff, which works in everything. You can record a movie with tools (like the ones I have) that record off your screen. I will most lilely change the camera poosition, blabla, then cut up the movie, save it as a mpeg, and then put in a strand of code to play it anywhere.

It's called "thinking outside the box", becaus enaything can be done if you approach the right way.

Animecivil
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "put in a strand of code to play it anywhere."

As far as i know you CAN'T have strands of code i FPSC
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 03:25
Maybe people should just accept that FPSC can't deal with cut scenes, and start to find solutions when it is actually released... then we wouldn't have all these kind of pseudo-solutions

Don't eat yellow snow!
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Good point "Chimera".
i just hope people listen to it.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 05:31
Then again some people would like to see other things that are currently are not supported by FPSC but may come later. The trouble with all this is without exception as far as I can see is that all individuals here and everywhere are only happy when the things they want are in and gladly request other features that they want to see come later - but deny others the same opportunity. I'm including myself - OK.

So the attitude is like do unto others but dont do it to me cos I got what "I" want. Always "I" or "Me" Some more "You" would be Nice.

I wont comment on what I think any further - enough to make the point.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I got what I need.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 06:37
As far as I know, cut scenes are quite high on the V1 priority list.

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope Melee is to. That is probably the MOST important.
(goes for both Player melee attacks and monster Melee attacks)
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 07:09
well its all down to the EA users! When you get the product you'll need to speak out!!

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I will scream from the rooftops.
Or something.
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 08:23
Quote: "As far as i know you CAN'T have strands of code i FPSC"

Then what's the talk about the admins always say "you can customize the code of ur AI in notepad"

THATS CALLED STRANDS OF CODE

Animecivil
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 08:25 Edited at: 29th Jan 2005 08:26
Yes but its not real code.
Its a special script that uses special commands
within FPSC. So that we will be able to customise
the behaviour of some of the object within FPSC.
You can not change the game engine with the script.
Its not a source code.
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 08:35
Quote: " Yes but its not real code.
Its a special script that uses special commands
within FPSC. So that we will be able to customise
the behaviour of some of the object within FPSC.
You can not change the game engine with the script.
Its not a source code."

Is it in English or computer language? Is it a command? If it's a command, then IT IS A CODE!

even if you have

if (global.Incar1 = true)
{
if (speed < 17)
{
if (keyboard_check(vk_shift) = true)
{
exit;
}
else
{
speed += 2;

}
}
}
if (speed >=17)
{
speed = 17;

}

Yes, it is very simple, but ITS STILL A CODE

Now, look how easy this is, and it is a code, and this code is only for a car speeding up when you press the up arrow, imagine editing the AI, which is considered REAL coding.

Animecivil
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes that is code but that code will not work in FPSC.
Thats not how the script works
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 10:07
The script is exactly the same, except with a different language.

Animecivil
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a script for you:

UR>=ID10T
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 17:18
Quote: "The script is exactly the same, except with a different language."

Hehe - I have a feeling you may be surprised at FPI code. It's like nothing I've ever seen before

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Nosce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 18:58
You know I'm thinking of stopping coming to these forums. What does it matter what FPSC can't do at the moment? It's in BETA stages, of course its not going to have everything in it yet. Bitch about what it can't do when you actually have it in your hands.

temet nosce
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 21:53 Edited at: 29th Jan 2005 21:54
David T,

I am looking foward to seeing what the FPI scripting files are like and how they work - further to anything of course we already know about them.

Can you say if there is a comprehensive section in the manual about FPI scripting and its functions or do we just have to use our initiative and play around with the scripts (after backing them up first of course I presume) to find out what they do and whats further possible with them?

I believe that the scripts can be extended and we can write our own? If that possible then does the Scripting reference section, if there is one, have a full list of predefined scripting commands we can use to put FPI files together? Is the list if any a complete list? i.e. I presume no other user created commands would be possible as they would not be recognised by FPSC? Is that correct?

Thank you
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 22:05
There's a large section in the manual with a list of the commands and parameters - and theres also a quick walktrhough of the syntax I believe. I think its a given that if you're going to be coding in FPI, you already know a little about programmming.

IMO its not really a programming language - more a sort of 'script' that lists actions to do at a certain state.

I suppose fully fleded language would have things such as user functions, variables, subs etc.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 03:15
Ah well, so theres no cut-scenes. But then again like the Half-Life series, we can show the player awesome scenarios without using video files. It gives a whole new feeling to the gameplay.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
im with you "Jordan Siddall".
And we can show BMP pictures between
levels.. Thats good.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:10
"we can show the player awesome scenarios without using video files".

"Awesome Scenarios" pardon? how will you do that then? I look forward to those.

Bitmaps = They are OK and will be of some help = they wont tell much of a story unless you can have multiple screens shown. They certainly do little to add to any dynamic feel to a game. They are better suited to helpful hints or information as parts of a story such as an enlarged page from a book on a table or interactive images - though I dont suppose FPSC supports interactive images of that kind on screen (as opposed to any menu items).

I have some ideas I will need to test out when FPSC comes along to provide maximum user experience
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:28
Quote: ""Awesome Scenarios" pardon? how will you do that then? I look forward to those."

Umm, yeah... If you have played half-life, you would know the game has scripted scenarios were if the player looks in a certain direction it triggers off an action.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:32
I think bmp's will be cool for now. The storytelling can be done using bmp's for the time being until it finally gets to V1 and we'll see if we can persuade Lee to make a cutscene editor.

Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:34
BMP=> comic book page (anyone thought of that), still it isn't the same as cutscenes.

Don't eat yellow snow!
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:34 Edited at: 31st Jan 2005 05:37
I once played a doom mod that had an amazing story and that story
was only built up by one screen of text between every map.
We will be able to show pictures with that text so i will
be satisfied. I would not be able to do any good videos to put
into the game anyways.
(flash video would feel out of place and live video would also feel
out of place. I don't have the ability to make 3D rendered videos to
have in there so the only thing left is videos that are taken from the game engine but the game engine don't have a spectate mode so that would also be hard.)

EDIT : Sorry for the rambling. My point is video would not be of
any use because there would not be any good way of making video material that would fit into the game. It would be possible but
it would take more time to make the video then the game.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:36
Quote: "but the game engine don't have a spectate mode so that would also be hard.) "

When EA is out I'm starting a "cutscene editor revolution".

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:38 Edited at: 31st Jan 2005 05:38
Im more for a Melee attack revolution.
(that goes for both PLayer and monster melee attacks.)
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 05:38 Edited at: 31st Jan 2005 05:40

looking for Royalty free 3D objects?
then Check PanzerGames at this link : http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 07:55
Some things are possible, some maybe not, but those who presume to tell to others what is best for them or would impose restrictions on others who aspire to achieve greater thnings, should not be heeded.

Hopefully the developers of FPSC will not be swayed (and I am sure they wont) by individuals personal agendas or opinions and make FPSC the best possible product based on accommodating into FPSC any and all features requested for inclusion that are possible and practical as an aid to gamemaking within the bounds of any commercial restrictions.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 08:20
Quote: "When EA is out I'm starting a "cutscene editor revolution".

Im more for a Melee attack revolution.
"

I'm for Both!

www.geocities.com/vgamestuff
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 08:34
Coldnews,

"I think bmp's will be cool for now. The storytelling can be done using bmp's for the time being until it finally gets to V1 and we'll see if we can persuade Lee to make a cutscene editor"

I quite agree.

Without true support built in to an engine for the dynamics of such options one will have great difficulty in achieving an alternative work around with the same degree of potential.

Its then a make do situation.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 08:36
"Im more for a Melee attack revolution"

thats cool too
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2005 15:21
Quote: "
Without true support built in to an engine for the dynamics of such options one will have great difficulty in achieving an alternative work around with the same degree of potential."

totally true. And thats why I think people need to just sit tight and wait for the EA version to be bug free. Cos a bug-free EA version thats late is better than an endless series of "essential" updates...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:08:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:08:44