Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / "Commandos" or something similar

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 13:16
Hello!

My name's Rober... (without t), I'm spanish and I'm a novice using DB (not DB Pro).

I'm not so good in English too.

I'm planning to create a great turn based RPG but it's so hard for me at the moment.

What about "Commandos", "Desperados" and that kind of games??

I don't have a light idea about how to create them. If anyone is so kind to give me some pieces of advice or help me I'll be so pleased with it. I will help anyone in everything I can.

For everything you want:

soyelmilonga@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance and
Bye for the moment.
Milongas al poder y rubias a sus lados!!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 19:58
OK, since your just starting out, I wouldnt try to make a

"great turn based RPG "

because youll simple drive yourself mad in trying Try something more simple, like pong Start small, learn the commands, then go big

BTW- Commandos? Dunno!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 00:33
It's quite often easier to look at an existing game, pull it apart in your mind and try to see how it works, then copy that and code it (or a simpler version) yourself. Commandos I believe is a tile based game, but don't quote me on that. Try using the sprite commands to set out some tiles, or position a character or something. You can always start with small tasks and build it up into something big.

Great doesn't necessarily mean big, it could be a really good game but with incredibly simple graphics and a short lifespan. It depends.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 00:37
or, if your like me and hate starting from small ( the only problem with not starting from small is that you've got a potential curse to never finnish games ) you could try experimenting with the different areas of the game.

Take commandos for instance, instead of making your game straight away, try coding the individual parts:

Click Function:

make a sphere and a matrix in DB, write code for 3D clicking using 2D mouse and making your sphere move towards that point (like in commandos). You can also try experimenting clicking and setting focus to different objects on the screen (for choosing characters in the game)

Enemy A.I:

make an object and a matrix in Dark Basic and make the object patrol round a fixed or variable number of points (like the guards do in the game).

After learning these type of code function and others you'll be developing your skill gradually, and then when your done, you combine all you have learned to focus on making your great commandos game. Hope that made sense and good luck! your gonna need it!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
El_Milonga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 14:53
Thak you everyone.

I know this two kind of games are so difficult and hard to do but I have faith.

Do you know something about the light that use the guards to see in Commandos??

I think this is the hardest thing to program...

Wow! it will be so hard.

Come on!!

Thank U!!!

Milongas al poder y rubias a sus lados!!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 17:33
hmm, actually <if where talking the same thing here> thats pretty easy, just making the triangle plane and rotating it around the guard object, the hardest part would be making the view plane deform depending on if it collides with an object or not, that would be almost impossible! infact, i'm using a very simillar method for my enemy a.i. in my game!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2003 23:55
I did a shadow casting light light the on in commandos in Qbasic once. It went from 0 to 360, drawing a line and testing for collision, so if there was a wall the light would stop and move on to the next angle. Only problem was it took ages to render one complete circle, so next to useless in a real-time game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 03:42:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 03:42:12