Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / this seems to run WAY too slow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have that bad of a system: Athlon 1.2 GHz, 32MB graphics card, 256MB RAM. But all the demos crawl. I only get between 7200 and 14,000 polygons on the LotsOfFast3D.exe that is shown running about 960,000 polygons on the web page.

I am running Windows XP, and I did install DirectX 8.1.

I can play Black & White or WarCraft III on this machine, no problem, but The Room or The Face demo sheer like crazy and barely move.

What am I doing wrong?

John
JWH
Years of Service
User Offline
Is the lack of response because this is normal, or because nobody knows why my system is running too slow, or what?

I want to develop some games, but if only 2% of the population have powerful enough PC's to run them, it is a waste of time and I'll find a different tool.

By the way, I have bought every product including DB1, 3D Game Maker, DBPro, and all the extras like Dark Matter, so I'm not here whining and trying to scarf free information while I sit on the fence.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2002 18:46
What sort of graphics card is it ? If its internal then it will be slow, especially if your trying to use features that the card doesn't support.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 03:52
Erm give a little longer than 1 day to get a response, especially to something that is very tricky to even begin to troubleshoot due to the personal nature of the question.

As a first port of call - what type of video card is it and what drivers are you running? That will have more of an influence than anything else.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 13:02
Did you try changing the display settings, maybe to fullscreen exclusive? If not, click on "settings" in the bottom right corner of the editor, then fiddle with the display settings - they DO make a big difference (+40fps on basic3d showcase example for me).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 14:46
very unusual...
Duron 800 | 512Mb 133Mhz | GeForce2 Mx200 | Dx8.1b
that runs all of the demos at over 60fps
probably alot higher than that, and the Mx200 is the slowest GeForce you can get
TnT Based Cards tend to be slow on DirectX - however, this does actually bring up a very good point

Rich is DBpro Graphics Chip based? because even with a useless graphics chipset his AMD processor should be able to easily handle those demos fast in reference and software modes. I mean this tells me that this is being developed exclusively to the DirectX API rather than taking advantage of the processors 3D Enahancements within C++
It would explain the slower speed than 1.13 on Networking as well, because that is mostly processor driven than anything else.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 16:44
I would have thought it would be up to DirectX (and DirectX only) to decide if a graphics function can be done (and whether it can use the graphics card to do it, or use software mode).

What 3D Enhancements in C++ are you talking about ? The only ones I know of are when you link DX to a C/C++ program so you can access DX functions.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Guillermo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 16:54
Yeah!
I am really curious as to why my desktop is so slow runnung DBPro programs. It has a 1.3 AMD, 512 RAM, and its graphics card is 53 Graphics Twister K Compaq.
I assume that the Graphics card is really Shi@#y. i didn't even know I wanted to do graphics when I got it. I just decided to do graphics when I got DBPro.

Guillermo

Guillermo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 17:06
Another thing, Rich:

Running the face demo on my 1.1 AMD, the face has different colors and runs smoothly, while on the laptop, it is barely visible, over a black background, and it moves slowly and in jerky movements. Is this due to graphic card related issues? Is this something that can be solved?

Guillermo

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 20:42
so i'm not imagining this then. cool
my specs...
AMD 1700 XP
using the SIS 32MB chipset
and 512MB+ DDR RAM

i agree that this is not top of the line, but slower than DB113 ?That would explain why it works on my laptop, but very slowly with its 8MB card instead if a sis chip, or maybe directx is running in software mode on it?
JWH
Years of Service
User Offline
My card is a 32MB AGP S3 SAVAGE ... is that bad?

I notice that I get 0 FPS on my computer at work PIII 450mHz with onboard video. It barely moves, but that isn't too surprising I guess.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 23:08
What is your desktop resolution and what are your color setting at. The DBP demos take those resolutions and color settings and use them in-game. so if you are running at something like 1600x1200 its going to use that resolution in-game. Also make sure you have the LATEST drivers for your card and that your card supports DX8.1. Also please take into account the fact that the texture being loaded in the room demo is a very large .tga file. i dont know why they used a tga bug it looks real nice

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Pikapooh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 04:37
well my geforce II TI 64mb is only getting 7200 polygons on the demo also
and i have 512 ram and duron600mhz (yea sucky pooter)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 05:44
Oki now i'm really baffled JWH, as I have a
P2 266mhz | 256Mb Ram | Savage4 Pro 32Mb (AGP)
althought a little sluggish, the demos all worked

As far as the C++ 3D is conserned, technically C++ itself doesn't use enhanced 3D - however processors now oftenly have MMX, SSL, SSL2, 3D Now!, PowerNow! builtin which specifically help with 3D Software/Reference Rendering.
However if DBpro has been coded completely within DirectX without taking note to the processors abilities or speed then C++ will be using the bare minimum of your processors, so in the case of DBpro your graphics chip would be FAR more important than the processor.
As a development language, it should be taking advantage of the entire power at its disposal.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
JWH
Years of Service
User Offline
I can get it up to 21600, 3 frames per second, if I compile it exclusive full at 640x480x8 ... that is crawling.

My savage is only truly running AGP2, so maybe there is a cheap AGP4 card that someone is getting good perfomance from ... or maybe it's just DB.

I have the Visual Basic DirectX 8.1 SDK, and it runs demos much faster than DB. There has to be some kind of problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:55:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:55:22