Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC doesn't work on my OC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 17:09 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 17:11
Hi all,

I have a problem running the EA version of FPSC on my PC.

When I first run the program after installation the start of the editor screen displays but after about five seconds I get the following error message box:
"This application has encountered a problem and needs to close."
This message box only has an OKAY button on it (screen shot attached to this email).

If I click on the OK button, FPSC continues loads but nothing is loaded into the library window on the left hand side and none of the menu options etc respond. I have to use the Task Manager to close down FPSC.

If I then reload FPSC, it loads successfully (i.e. no error message) but for about 5 seconds the screen goes into full screen mode with just a black screen. The the editor window returns.

I try to open one fo the sample mapls but I just get - in full screen mode - a screen with a grey grid on it. I have to press ESC to get out of that screen. The map doesn't load. When I try the open menu option again it does load the map - it loads all the elements into the library window - but nothing is displayed in the main editor part on the right hand side of the screen i.e. the editor part stays black.

I have re-installed the application 3 times - each time to a different partition on my hard drive. Each time I get exactly the same.

My system specs are:
Operating System : Windows XP Home (SP2)
DirectX Version : 9.0c
RAM : 512
Processor : P4 2.6GHz
GFX Card : ATI Radeon 9600 TX AGP (128 megs)
GFX Driver Version : 6.14.10.6512 (dated 19/01/2005)

The demo game - FPSC-Game.exe - runs fine.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but both DarkBasicPro and Dark Game SDK both run fine on my PC. Also, the only applications I have in my system tray are ZoneAlarm, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and AVG 7.

Help!!

Regards,
Daz.

p.s. Sorry about the typo in the title of this thread!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 17:15
This file attachment is an example of the grey grid screen I spoke of - which I get after loading one of the demo levels.

Attachments

DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 17:16
This final screen shot is of the blank editor window after loading one of the demo maps.

Attachments

Vulcan Omega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 17:55
Perhaps you could upload your log files, which can be found in

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator

FPSC-MapEditor.log

&

fpscreator.log

This may show a possible problem.

Vulcan Omega is closer than you think !
http://www.vulcan-omega.co.uk/
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
hi

i get the same problem also... i found if you hit esc and reload several times you eventually get the FPS logo and the editor loads and can be used ok.

Pc P4 3.2
Op sys Win2K
MEM 1GB
Graphics FX 5500 256MB - latest drivers
Sound SB Audigy 2EX - latest drivers
directx 9c

hope the attached log file code helps

thank

maxd
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:04
If you get the application had to close message, firstly you need to edit the following file {FPSC Install dir}\files\editors\host\editor.ini, change
Trace = 0
to
Trace = 1
If it isnt already done. Do again what you did that caused the crash and attach the following files from the install directory: fpscreator.log, FPSC-MapEditor.log and FPSC-Game.log, plus any files in the subdirectory Files that look like: crash…

The log files will be created when the trace is set to 1.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:14
Thanks for the info guys.

After running FPSC, here is the contents of the contents of the FPSC-MapEditor.log file:

The fpscreator.log file shows

When I have to close FPSC through task manager the following gets added to the fpscreator.log file

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is anything useful in there to indicate why this is happening.

@maxd - Yep, I have tried re-starting it several times but it still doesn't work for me. What I have noticed though is if I close down FPSC using task manager and then keep restarting if I look at the processes tab of Task Manager I get several FPSC-MapEditor.exe processes running. If I close all those down, when I next run FPSC I go back to the "This application has encountered a problem ..." dialog box.
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:15 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 19:20
@jasuk70 - those files I posted were prior to seeing your message about adding trace = 1. I'll do what you suggested right now. Give me a minute or two!!!

EDIT - It seems the trace value was already set to 1 in the ini file. I've had a look in the subdirs but I cannot find any file while has a filename containing crash.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
@DazzaB

when i try to load FPSCreator i get the app problem error message, hit cancel, i wait for the black screen to appear then hit esc, i cant get to task manager at this time, i then reload FPS, and do it all over again, took me 10 attempts last time but eventually it does load.

@JasUK70, ive looked at the editor init, was set to trace=1, ive set it to 0 and seems to work, tho a reboot to see will be needed, will let you know

thanks

maxd
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:31 Edited at: 12th Feb 2005 19:47
I don't even get a cancel button!! Also, task manager is the only way I can close it down. Typical of my luck!! Thanks for the info though. I'll try setting the trace value to 0, do a reboot and seet whats happens.

EDIT - Did a reboot. As expected, still the same thing happened.

Maybe Lee, Rick or Mike will be able to shed some light on the problem.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
@dazzaB

trace=0 didnt work for me, i think its a debugging trace routine on off switch,

what i have found is that when the "This application has encountered a problem and needs to close." error appears i can still sort of access the file menu and attempt to load a map or new map, nothing happens but when i click ok on the error message, the black screen appears, i wait a couple of seconds, hit the esc key (no vivible sign of this on screen), the black screen dissapears and i can load FPS, sometimes!

give it another go

maxd
the log files remain unchanged, took me a lot of goes to get it running after the reboot.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 19:48
If you are still getting problems, Switch the trace messages on re-produce the crash and then contact support with the trace messages and any crash files found in the Files subdirectoy, with the machine specifcation O/S, driver versions etc.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=contact_support

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 20:33
Thanks jasuk70. Just raised a support issue.

If and when I get a response and a possible solution, I will post the details here.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 22:05
I had to update my gfx card drivers before getting it to work first time.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 22:25
@David T - After installing FPSC for the first time and it not working, updating my gfx drivers was the next thing I did. So, I know I have downloaded the latest driver from the ATI web site.

It may very well end up being an issue with my ATI card though. I know from other 3d-based products in the past that ATI cards can prove to be a little troublesome.
Anime civil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2005 22:40
Thanks for the help. When I actually buy fpsc (), I will know all what to do, lol. In the meantime, I will study the fpsc codes inthe manual.

Velocity Designs - Coming Soon
The Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 03:40
I had the same problem last night. Aftermany tries, I was finally able to load the small control room, and add a starting point. I then did a level preview and it was okay. I tried to test the level and it hung up -had to ctrl-alt-delete to get out-said it was not responding. Today I get nowhere -first get the application has to close error, then try to add a prefab and get black screen or the grid screen with the mouse but no prefab - try again and get the application close screen again -keeps seeming to alternate problems. I am very interested in the fix for this. BTW -I installed teh latest drivers 6.14 and have directx 9.c
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 05:00
It sounds like the interface is having a bad time between the Windows Screen and the 3D map editor application that drives the editing visuals. Email all your findings to mike@thegamecreators.com and he will sift through the evidence to find out why you are having problems. If you send him the fpscreator.log and the fpsc-mapeditor.log, that will help a lot, thanks

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 17:32
Thanks for help Lee.

I have already raised a support call for this issue, but as requested I will also email Mike directly.

I think you are probably right in what you said is the cause of the issue.

In a strange way, I am just glad that I am not the only one having these kinds of issues!!
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 22:35 Edited at: 14th Feb 2005 22:38
hi just got this back from lee regarding my problem

'Mike, the guy who wrote the interface side of FPSC EA is on a break for a week, and will only be tinkering from next Monday. It must be no fun being stopped at the first furlong and I hope you can wait until Mike returns. He has already sent out test versions to some users with this, but I do not have these temp versions. Perhaps you can ask on the forum from those users who are testing a newer version of the interface – it might help your case.'

anybody got this new interface, would like to give it a go..

thanks for the reply lee

maxd
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
hi.. no replies.. is anybody usinf a new version of the interface...i would like FPSC to load 1st time when i start to play...

thanks in adavance
The Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 07:37
Maxd -I had the same problem but somehow it fixed itself yesterday. In the meantime Mike emailed me a new executable which I didn't use but I could email to you if you give me your email address.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 08:09 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 18:16
@The Old Man

thanks can you send it to

thanks
The Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 08:51
maxd -I sent you email -the following should have been with it - the no safety version worked for me

I have two new executables for you to try. Please can you do the following -

* extract "fpscreator.exe" from "fpscreator - more debug.zip"
* place this new exe into the location where FPSC is installed e.g. "c:\program files\the game creators\fps creator\"
* run "fpscreator.exe"
* leave it running for at least a minute
* quit out
* send me "fpscreator.log", this will help me trace what is going wrong

As a temporary measure to enable you to run FPS Creator I have removed the safety code that is responsible for the error you are getting. This new executable is in "fpscreator - no safety.zip". Extract this and you should be able to run FPS Creator. If for whatever reason there is a problem and FPS Creator crashes it may be that some processes are still left running - either fpsc-mapeditor.exe of fpsc-game.exe. If you get a crash go into task manager and delete these processes if they are shown so they don't slow your system down.

As soon as I get the log file from you I can resolve the problem and send you an update that resolves these issues.

Regards,

Mike
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks mike...

log file on its way to you.. appreciate the help...

maxd
DazzaB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:58 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 01:59
@Maxd,

Sorry for not replying until now. I haven't had chance to logon for a few days.

Mike has sent me the files and email as The Old Man mentioned above. I sent off the new debug log file to Mike and I am waiting for his reply.

The "no safety.zip" version has fixed the problem for me but only when I load FPSC for the second time. i.e. the first time nothing appears in the library window but everything is fine when shut down and re-started.
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
@DazzaB

yeah same for me.. the first time you load, nothing, Ctrl+Alt+Del and then reload.. fine...

but i still love the program...
MORPHOSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
I am afraid it will not work on mine.

ARE THEY RELEASING A DEMO OF THE PROGRAM?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:39:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:39:24