Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Scripting Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Could anyone give a more detailed explinaton on how to use scripts? I tried to make some but none of them worked like I coded them. I may be doing it wrong so if someone could try to explain better than what I saw in the manual, it would be appreciated.

1% done...
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 19:16
I found the easiest way to learn scripts was to look at the existing scripts in the script bank and then by using the conditions and actions from the manual adjust the scripts to do things slightly different. Don't try to do too much at once as I found it made things hard to learn. If you post a question to the forum about what you are trying to do and how far you have got doing it, I'm sure people will help.

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 00:02
I could use some help with scripting too... I cant even make a .FPI file

Dude, Im hopeless...

Check out PanzerGames at: http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
æ ø å
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 01:23
Your not that bad, that game you sent me, ruled the C*@% out of all the other games I have seen made with FPSC!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 03:48
thanks

but still, I can't figure out how to use the scripting system...
I open the notepad.
I write something in it.
I save it as, fx "MyScript.fpi".
It's a .txt file.

Check out PanzerGames at: http://www.freewebs.com/panzergames
æ ø å
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 03:51 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 03:54
When you save it using NotePad, make sure you choose "All Files" and make sure you have "quotes" around the filename when you save.

http://www.cellbloc.com/darkbasicforum/SaveAs.jpg

-This...is my boomstick!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 13:38
I dare say I could write (and probably sell) five volumes of book on how to srite good FPI scripts. Fear not, I would not be so distracted, I have a product to complete. I can suggest that the idea Jas has to learn FPI is exactly right. Take an existing FPI file that is close to what you want to do. Firstly, you can find most of the FPI files at files\scriptbank. Good general scripts to study, copy, modify and assign to your entities are switch1.fpi, dooruse.fpi, pickup1.fpi, plrinzone.fpi, pace.fpi and I dare say ten more than are equally useful. Make a copy and then change just one thing from it, like a value or sound filename. You assign new FPI scripts to entities by right clicking on an entity to bring up the properties window, and at the top where you can see AI INIT, MAIN and DESTROY, click to the right of the field data box and it will bring up a file requester. Use it to select your new FPI file you have created and then click APPLY CHNAGES. Right click the entity again to make sure your new FPI is listed in the field data box, not the one that was there originally. Then test the game to see if your changed value has an effect on the entity you are working with. By best advice is to use trial and error, until things start to happen.

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
hi..

what are the differences between AI INIT, MAIN and DESTROY
, seems obvious...but what exactly..
thanks
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 18:26
INIT is what runs when the entity becomes Un-Dormant (To life basically)

The MAIN Runs while the entity is "Alive"

The DESTROY runs if the entity is destroyed, i.e. with a DESTROY in the MAIN script

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
maxd
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks jasuk70

thought it was obvious

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:50:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:50:01