Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How To Question: Changing Textures on Segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 05:34
I would like to know how I go about changing the textures on segments. I know I need to have the textures in a TGA version. I want to be able to do some simple things, like changing the texture on a wall segment, floor segment, etc.

Can someone help me with that?

"Beware of people who try and belittle your ambitions. Small people do that. The really great people are the ones who make you feel that you too can become great" --Mark Twain
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 10:18
Anyone? Someone has to have tried this already.

"Beware of people who try and belittle your ambitions. Small people do that. The really great people are the ones who make you feel that you too can become great" --Mark Twain
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 15:41
i want to know this , too

yeah...thats the ticket !
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 23:36
Someone has to know the answer to this. I've got textures coming out my ying-yang and some ideas for some new prefabs I want to construct. It's got to be a simple thing to change the textures on the current segments.

Anyone? Echo...echo...

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
just replace the DDS file with your texture.
FPSCreator\Files\texturebank
There is a plugin so you can open DDS files in photoshop.
I downloaded that plugin from here.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

I hope that helps.
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
its the weekend everyone who knows like richard is sleeping wait for a few days
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 00:30
Thanks Noldor.

What is the significance of the _D and _D2 bitmap files associated with each .DDS texture file?

Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 00:34 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 00:41
Nope changing this whole message i posted.
I realy have no idea whats the difference.
You will just have to experiment.

EDIT: i gave this wacky idea here earlier but i changed it.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 00:43 Edited at: 15th Feb 2005 00:44
They realy have to release The/A
segment editor.
Its easy to make your own Entitys
but segments has proven to be a little
more tricky.
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I made several copies of the armory segement and added custom textures. The results were extremely buggy, but I'm wiating until I update my graphics card before I comment further.

I will say that it is an extremely time consuming process. A segment file contains 16 pieces with each one having 4 texture references, 1 model reference, and 1 effect reference. It's a bit of a task to hand change all of those and proof them for any possible errors (though if you are extremely careful you can speed the process up with carefully worded find & replace commands)

Not sure yet what the 4 different textures represent (normal maps? bump maps? ???) nor the significance between D and D2 textures.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 02:28
I thought that changing textures was one of the big selling points of FPSC? I mean, I'm not complaining at all, but I think this process needs to be simplified. Otherwise, all our games are going to look basically the same. Plus, simplifying the process will enable and spawn a host of people who want to make and share segments/prefabs with others.

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 02:31
fdecker,
I think it will get better when the Segment editor is released. Not sure though as I have yet to see how the tool works.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 02:42
SoulMan,

So, there is one in development already? Excellent. No need to panic then. I think we're all going to be as eager for V1 as we were for the EA. So much potential though with sharing of resources. I'll never be able to model new segments, but I would like to change the textures on the current ones to make my games unique and I wound't have a proplem sharing them with others.

In any event, FPSC rocks, plain and simple.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 22:05:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 22:05:34