Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Any old users of the GCS on this forum?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Was just wondering if anyone who used the GCS before its demise
is here on this forum and now useing FPScreator like i am?

thanks hammer
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
i was going to get that but then i heard about fps creator and said to myself that i can wait the 2 month and i did and i am glad that i did
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 11:10
Hammer,
I was a former user of the GCS. It was ok, but there were many problems with it. I gave up on it after I found out that Kevin had no real intention on making it better. I think for him it was just a way to make quick cash. Oh well. This is much better than the GCS.
Lee has made one heck of a program. By the way, I think we shouldn't really bring up the GCS any more. There's no point. This product is better and we should stick with it.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
glyvin101
Years of Service
User Offline
yes that is dead to me lol
Hammer
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree soulman, it had alot of problems and a lack of support.
and this product is a hundred times better.
i was mainly asking because i had a few good people i talked to
there and was wondering if any had moved to this forum to keep in touch.

hammer
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 11:53
I liked the GCS and made a lot of games with it, but it doesn't hold a candle to FPSC. Plus, it was incredibly lame for Kevin to just bail on it. I may have been one of the people you used to talk to, Hammer.

Basically dark.
Programmer Dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 18:01
er, whats GCS ?

I'm the guy you love to hate.
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 20:24
the "pie in the sky Game Creation System" iv never used it tho.

www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
New coldnews single avalable from here
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 21:12 Edited at: 14th Feb 2005 21:12
I used GCS . Both the Dos version and
the later Win version. It was a nice app
but i never made anything serious in it.
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2005 23:01
@Programmer Dave

It was a lot like FPSC -- a drag-and-drop FPS constructor.

Basically dark.
LoneWolf 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 00:06
Hello, I used the DOS and WIN95 versions, I also agree with the rest of the people that used it. I made a lot of games with it, but the way Kevin, just stopped support and we were left in the dark about what was going on, wasn't a good thing to do. The FPSC is so much better in so many ways that I do not think there in the same ball park.

Don
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 02:55
not sure what that is. but i did buy the 3d game maker lite and the 3d game maker full but never used them as they really produced just a simple game couldnt customize to much.

Cheers,
Deion G.
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 03:31
Quote: "3d game maker lite and the 3d game maker full"

That's a different product that's still around. It's a fairly decent engine with good game-making capability (I'd rank it up there with DBPro in some ways), but not nearly as efficient as FPSC.

Basically dark.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2005 05:41
I had GCS and made a lot of levels with it. Never put a complete game together as such as...GCS dissapeared.

As an opinion it cant be compared to FPSC in as much as it was different altogether, but like FPSC you could make complete games with it quickly.

Main benefit comparisons were GCS actually had similar AI control or better AI if you purchased the AINEXT plugin which supplied excellent AI by default and which was additionally scriptable to allow further behaviours to be programmed. GCS had good support for larger outdoor areas and its own form of terrain building.
Scharmers
Years of Service
User Offline
GCS3D was actually pretty cool when it first came out, back in the DOS days. Moving it to DirectX without changing the core engine wasn't such a good idea. It ended up being an outdated raycasting engine with a bunch of uneasy bolt-ons (.MD2 support, AI scripting, cobbled-together DirectX support). It was kludgy and once you got past the easy mapping (since mapping was pretty much all 2D), very difficult to work with. GCS would have been a lot cooler if a)Kevin would have moved away from the DOS 2D raycasting and moved to true 3D BSP, and b)didn't decide to drop it like a hot rock once he got tired of it.

I don't know a lot of people who actually completed a full game with GCS; the few that did were pretty much unilaterally scorned (except for "Pencil Whipped").

--scharmers
Light 1138
Years of Service
User Offline
Well my friends enjoy the laywers handing out there cavaets and addendums. I'm still developing games with the now defunked GCS. I'll enjoy playing your games though. Good luck!
Marra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 04:34
I still use GCS and think it is still capable of making a good game,I have tried many engines and keep going back to it,it has no restrictive license,it is easy to use and the AI add on is excellent,I haven't got a website or any examples of what I can do with it yet but there are two games that show exactly what has been done with it you may want to check out, Pencil Whipped by Lon Flickinger and Infiltration by Bob Hindle.
http://www.realityfactory.ca/chiselbrain/
http://www.skyline1.freeserve.co.uk/
Unfortunately because GCS is no longer produced or supported we have lost both of them to Reality Factory,I wonder if either of them have heard of this which looks pretty cool

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 17:43:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 17:43:31