Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Suggestions on software for creating video tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:00
A few people have suggested that they would create video tutorials of different aspects of FPSC and post them for all of us. That would be a fantastic help, so I'd like to offer some suggestions in making it happen.

Creating video tutorials is something I do for a living (along with my lawyering and game creation duties!), so I thought I would make some suggestions on software that does screen video and voice capture.

The two tools I suggest are Techsmith Camtasia and Macromedia Captivate (which you may know as RoboDemo).

Both tools allow outputting to Flash format, which you'll probably want, since any other video format will be too large. Both also allow you to capture voice while you record.

Captivate will automatically annotate your video (placing large tooltips over buttons, menus, etc.), but it's a little pricey at US$499. Camtasia won't automatically annotate, but you can go back and edit your video easily. (Actually, I hardly ever annotate, anyway.) Camtasia is a little cheaper at US$299.

Another possibility is Lead Capture and Present, which goes for US$49, but it doesn't export to Flash format.

There are a dozen or so other programs that do screen video capture, and they're easy to find at sites like Download.com, but most don't allow simultaneous voice capture, and the ones that do allow voice capture tend to have slow frame rates, a problem that usually doesn't exist in Camtasia or Captivate. FPSC slows down our machines enough without running slow video capture programs. These other programs, though, are much cheaper -- some only a few dollars -- so you might want to grab a trial version.

Voice and video screen capture is very easy to do, and it's actually very fun. It's one of my favorite things to do, and I've made some pretty decent money off of it.

If you need any help with video screen capture, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to email me.

Basically dark.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:04
Quote: "Voice and video screen capture is very easy to do, and it's actually very fun. It's one of my favorite things to do, and I've made some pretty decent money off of it.
"

like Reb vs Blue! That is sooooo funny. watch them at www.redvsblue.com
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:05 Edited at: 16th Feb 2005 02:07
Got all the dvds and just watched EP 49 baby!

I'm even wearing the Rooster and Teeth Black Hoodie right now..
I'm a big fan!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:07
Logan,

I do quite a few online tutorials as well. I use Captivate. You know what would be helpful is if all of us that will be creating tutorials would stick to a set of standard settings (i.e. screen size, playback quality, etc.).

You do more of these that I probably do, so I'll defer to your expertise in suggesting a FPSC tutorial video standard.

"Beware of people who try and belittle your ambitions. Small people do that. The really great people are the ones who make you feel that you too can become great" --Mark Twain
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:10
@jordan

I love red vs blue!!!!! It is sweeet!!
(gives jordan high five)
(gets out of forum for some rvb)

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:13
I know this is too off topic so... MaddA ChieF give me your msn now! *Runs from mods*
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:14
nooooooooooo
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:14
sorry, but no
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:16
Grrr! I only wanted to share RvB wisdom! Guess not, or as caboose would say:

"I don't want to be dead, I want to be alive, or a cowboy!"
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:21
hehehehe.

"A sleeping body! AT first I thought that was me because I am blue and I like to sleep"

" no wait... nap time comes after pants time!"

some words from #39 my favoeite episode!
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:25
Quote: "You know what would be helpful is if all of us that will be creating tutorials would stick to a set of standard settings (i.e. screen size, playback quality, etc.)."

yep

Basically dark.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:30
YEA THATS MY FAV TOO!

"OH TO THA BACK OF THA HEAD!"
"Tell my girlfriend that I love her..."
"Shes my girlfriend now Bi*%@!"
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 02:37
Come on, fellas, this was a good thread topic and something that needed to be discussed. Help Logan out here, huh?

"Beware of people who try and belittle your ambitions. Small people do that. The really great people are the ones who make you feel that you too can become great" --Mark Twain
Logan 5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 06:50
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is a quick, 6-minute video on how to create your own prefabs:

http://www.attorneysusa.com/fpsc/creatingprefabs/

I made it in Camtasia with one take. Camtasia ran great with FPSC. Let me know, though, if there are problems with the video (on one of my machines I get no sound).

Of course, you need to have Flash Player 7 installed to view the video. The video is at 800x600, but that's easy to change.

By the way, thanks for the tip on red vs. blue. What a great show!

Basically dark.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 13:18
I did a course of five video tutorials, but after compression they added 150MB to your 400MB download. Something we felt you guys did not want to wait for. We have thus decided at some near future point to release the videos publicly to help out explain some areas and also to encourage awareness of the software.

The video I shot myself is the animation equivilant of programmer art, and as such unusable for public performance. A thick Wigan accent, poor choice of content, and no fancy video editing put enough nails in this coffin to bury it. When we have a little time in a forthcoming meeting, we might shoot some new video with some brutal direction (courtesy of Rick).

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:13:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:13:58