Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / This is a great software package - some questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Instead of posting a review in the requisite designated area, I am going to give my impression and ask some questions. I don't feel I have used this software package enough to review it.

The good: This is a very (and I mean VERY) easy interface - almost too easy - if there's such a thing. On my laptop (athalon 64 2.6 ghz with 512MB DDR memory, this thing runs like a champ. I get none of the slowdown I have been hearing about. I have chosen to render at middle of the road quality levels (256x256) and this laptop have a Nvidia GeForce 4 mobility chip) - I assume my ATI 9700 Radeon 256MB DDR would rock - will have to see.

I do have problems finding the main global script, say I want to lower the ambient lighting to nothing so I can place light entities (markers) to create a mood. I also would love to find a fog setting so I can make the mood even more, well, moody.

I noticed the guns - all really nicely made - KUDOS go to the artists that created the game art - all very VERY top notch - almost too top notch for us amateurs. Anyway - I noticed the guns can produce smoke when firing - does this mean I have particles at my disposal? Does this mean I can make steam vents and the such?

I had a corridor and room level created in all of 5 minutes and was running around wasting zombies in no time - so at the bare minimum - this puppy works - and, in fact, the zombies chased me all over the place - it was downright fun (and scary).

One addition I highly suggest is a built in text editor button (and editor) to edit scripts - makes requiring the use of notepad a little less annoying. That should be quite easy to implement and you could force the path to load and save to the scriptbank to make all things organized.

I like the VISUAL STUDIO feel to this whole thing - as that is what I program in - it was nice to edit the entity property and the wonderful properties dialog popped up on the right side (so used to the default left side of visual studio) - very nice touches.

I did try to import my own .x file - a small terrain I created and textured - it did import as an entity, but I guess an entity is made for picking up, because when I ran over the terrain (scaled wayyyy the heck down) - the game said I now owned it (called ARENA - so now I had an arena in my pocket)! Trying to add it as a segment has not worked at all for me (well, it did, but no texture was present) - I will keep trying. The re-inclusion of the segment and entity editors would be an important addition for anyone wishing to add their own .x files and .tga textures.

One thing I adivse everyone to do - and which I did - was read the manual first before asking questions. Now I know much of what this fine software can do - even if I cannot physically find it yet - at least I know what's possible.

It seems if you can script, most things you can think of are possible. I will have to learn the scripting language 1st - and I do by trying.

It did not seem difficult to include my own entity - the directions were not hard and as long as the .x file is textured and scaled properly - it shows up fine in the main editor - it is segments that seem harder to include from your own making.

Another question: if one was to make a terrain object so that one could fool the public into thinking your level was outdoors when in actuality it is an indoor level - would one import that terrain as an entity or as a segment?

This is a great piece of software that does EXACTLY what it advertises to do - I can actually make awesome looking games ON MY LAPTOP and have a blast playing them as well!!!

Good job guys - I look forward to the full version and more!

Mike Felker
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Grrr - my whole post got deleted
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 07:25
Quote: "does this mean I have particles at my disposal? Does this mean I can make steam vents and the such?"

It's not a true particle system, just a clever use of animated textures (decals). If you have a look there are some steam anims included for you to place in your games.

Quote: "if one was to make a terrain object so that one could fool the public into thinking your level was outdoors when in actuality it is an indoor level - would one import that terrain as an entity or as a segment?"

Entity - you don't need it to be a segment unless you need to actually paint and have it all join together in the editor itself.

Quote: "but I guess an entity is made for picking up, because when I ran over the terrain (scaled wayyyy the heck down) - the game said I now owned it"

You must have used an entity script from an object that you can pick-up Set it to "static" for a start, or just copy one of the existing scripts for an in-animate, inmovable object like a termain or pipe.

Super Joe crack combat soldier fights a long battle against overwhelming odds.
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Richard. I have now found the GLOBAL script and can change my ambient lighting to my heart's content. I will be messing around with fog values next.

I tried dynamic lights for flickering - they work but I found either a bug, a problem or just something annoying. When I make 3 dynamic lights (for 3 doorways) - it really slows down the fps - the frames per second get quite sluggish indeed (around 11-20) and then speed up nicely when away from the dynamic lights or around just static lights. I wanted to get the effect of a bright flickering light from underneath a dark outside doorway - really spooky like something bad just happened in there. Well, I did not get what I was hoping for. I got a bright flickering light with a totally 100% lit door on the inside and out - and the door attachment to the wall (it's a prefab - I believe the small laboratory) seems to have some NORMAL problems (as in POLYGON NORMALS) - I get a weird flickering of the polygons themselves due to the light I am guessing.

Next problem: I made a multi-level room with real nice walkways and the such - I put a CRAPLOAD of bad guys across the many floors of this level - BIG MISTAKE. My FPS went to 1 - even the opening transition in the test mode took a minute or so to complete. Before the baddies were added, I was getting above 30 fps everywhere except around the dynamic lights.

Okay, so I toned down the baddies to around 5 total (from somewhere in the 50's) and took away the dynamic lights and made them static.

This did work - but now my workspace (the editor) was so sluggish, I could not work. I had to reboot my entire machine to edit again - the entire windows xp interface was suffering (possible memory leak here?) Could it be that something isn't dimensioned correctly or not unloading properly. I'll tell you, I like to create - - test, create - - test, etc. If I cannot do this because of massive slowdowns - well that could be a problem for me.

This machine is pretty darn powerful - even for a laptop - it's a HIGH END Compaq (now owned by HP) and pretty new. The Athalon 64 chip is pretty darn fast and I can play Morrowind without blinking an eye - so I should be able to use this software (I also program in Torque, Blitz 3D and Dark Basic Pro on this thing)

One last thing. Now that I have had a bigger chance to use this program - I LOVE IT EVEN MORE. The possibilities are truly endless and once these little bugs and problems are squashed - you guys are gonna be MEGA RICH.

Mike Felker

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 15:17:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 15:17:00