Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Junping and moving

Author
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 07:12
Is there anyway to make the jump and camera movement more fluid?? i.e. rather than coming to a complete halt, the camera glides quickly but smoothly to a halt? and also, for the jumping to be less... ping pongy..! I notice also the player can press directional keys whilst jumping, so u get that bouncing action! Can this be changed
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 13:03
Yes I also felt that having a subtle camera wobble as thr player walks and runs would have added to the flavour of the game. When we have established a feedback system for new features, please list out what control you would need over the player/camera in terms of these adjustments. Would they be visual, or would the player slowdown before stopping, which may affect gameplay if the player comes to the edge of a cliff, slows down, and slips off the end. We make some assumptions current on your behalf in EA, what assumptions would you all like to override for V1?

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 21:16
Yes, i would like it so that when the player stops, he doest come to a halt immediatally - and as u describe there is almost a kind of simple physics included, so he glides to a halt(funny cos u wouldnt glide to a halt in real life!!!) but i think it looks better.

Also the jumping, again - the way you have done it is probably realistic in the way, of a straight up and down, but i like it as if u get that 'Steve Austin' bionic man effect (Wow... I forgot all about that series till just now!) - where the jumping is more exagerated, and rather than the same speed up and down, again somecode is introduced to make i faster or slower. Also i reckon you need to disable the movement keys whilst in mid flight, as it just doesnt seem 'natural' to be able to move whilst in the air.

Cheers Lee
Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 01:52 Edited at: 17th Feb 2005 02:35
I once read a book called Secrets of the Sages which was basically a collection of interviews with people in the game industry including several of the guys that made half-life, unreal, mario (Morimoto?, I can never remember his name), fallout, etc. One of the guys said something very interesting. A lot of game designers give up fun for realism. They'll say "Hey you can't change direction in mid-air in real-life", when they should have said, "Wow, that was so much fun!" (yes he did point out mid-air direction change specifically) I hope TGC allows us to change direction in mid-air. What's the harm, as long as it's fun?

Now is the winter of your discontent.
-Stewie from Family Guy
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 02:32
Secret of the sages. Good book - I still read it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 22:59:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 22:59:13