Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Shaders , bump maps?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 11:35
I was just wondering how we use the basic shader abilities or bump mapping in fps??
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 12:30
See the let their by water thread. In EA, the FX assignments are hidden from the interface for simplicity (ie lava uses ripple, some lights use illumination map, glass uses cubemap, etc). If you explore the file system and look for FPE and FPS files, then scroll through the lines of text you will notice paths to .FX files. You are free to change these paths and/or the FX files themselves. Remember however when you change ANYTHING in this manner, FPM levels from other users may not work as expected. I recommend always to make a copy from the original, and modify the original. I have laid out USER folders in places where you can put your modified files.

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 12:43
Thanks Lee for replying - Will check through now...
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 21:35
Okay found the fx link in the fpe files. Am i right in saying that when the detail is as follows:

textured = texturebank\scifi\scenery\furniture\bedb\bed_B_d2.tga
effect = effectbank\illuminationmap\illuminationmap.fx
castshadow = 0

Does this mean that that effect is automatically tagged onto the texture??? so it will apply a shader to that texture - and indeed is it just that instance of the texture, or every item placed with that texture?

Also - i notice cast shadow - so this means an entity can cast a shadow? - and if so is it 'burned' into the lightmap

Cheers
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 16th Feb 2005 22:07
Also Bump maps - can someone please tell me how you use them?
Is it the same as applying a shader as above (if that is right?)
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 02:56
Shadows where removed from EA as we wanted to work on them more. We almost had it, but the lack of decent performance by default and a few holes in the shadow volumes meant the best solution was to remove them for EA and focus elsewhere. The flags remain so that when we put it back, individual entities can control whether they cast shadows or not. The shadows being referred to are dynamic volume stencil shadows, which are the most expensive, and most rewarding kind. I intended them for use with good to great PC specifications for those users who have uber systems and want to exploit them. Bump mapping can be done right now, as we have left in all the normal maps in the texturebank, however there where some fundamental issues such as from where and how many lights would we send to each effect, applied to each entity that used them, etc. Serious questions that could easily have added another month or two to the development. All things considered, we where happy with releasing some easier to manage shaders for EA, and the rest will follow.

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 04:35
Hi Lee,

The way i understand the shaders to work is this correct? That that particular shader gets assigned to that material, just for that item?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:24:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:24:46