Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What's the lowest end machine people are using?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just out of curiosity, we know what the official minimal requirements are for making use of the FPSC, but I wonder what luck some of you are having going below the minimum setup?

Are any of you getting it to work properly on lower end video/graphic cards?

What about ram and so forth?

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2005 23:38
286 sx25 with 4 meg EGA video and it's running quite smoothly.

-This...is my boomstick!
Opus
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoah! Cellbloc Studios, according to the specs--if I understood them properly--it shouldn't run at all on your set up. Amazing!

Eternal student in search of knowledge. But will settle for the occasional epiphany.
game Spacer
Years of Service
User Offline
"286 sx25 with 4 meg EGA video and it's running quite smoothly."

Those were the days
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 03:01
See sig, plus my Nvidia 420 go card has a whacking 16mb of mem, the good news is I am investing in a new Laptop later this year.

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2005 04:31 Edited at: 20th Feb 2005 16:23
Win XP pro, 1GHz, 384 MB RAM
32 MB geforce 2 MX/ MX 400

Running quite smoothly but I CAN'T see shadows.

EDIT: by shadows I mean dark places with full lightmapping.

Don't eat yellow snow!
Allannon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 10:12
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
2.16 GHz, 1.00Gb of Ram
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5700 256
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 10:39
Windows XP Pro SP2
eMachine T2200
AMD Athlon 1.8Ghz
768MB RAM
Radeon 9200 256MB PCI Video

Working better since I got the 256MB card. I have the preferences set to low textures, no pixel shading, and quick light mapping. That makes my testing work very well.

Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I get good results from one of my test machines that runs at 1.3 ghz (Athalon flip chip), 512MB DDR RAM and a GeForce 3 Ti whatever card.

That is the lowest end machine I own. It does run quite well, believe it or not.

My 286 is currently being transported to the Louvre in Paris to be gawked at in the ancient but operable section. My PCJr is on display at the Smithsonian and my Atari ST and Amiga are duking it out in the backyard.

Mike
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
1 Ghz Celeron, 512 mb RAM (PC-133 DIMMs meh), Geforce 2 MX/400 (64 megs). I'm pretty sure that's as minimum as you get according to the FPSC specs.

Ran very sluggish until I invested in a new graphics card. Upped to a 256 mb Nvidia card and now it runs rather nicely.

STILL it's important to note that the EA version has a long way to go in terms of tweaking stability and speed. No matter how fast a system you have, you may still experience unsual behavior, inexplicable pauses or lags and so forth (see the bug thread)

For a windows program FPSC is currently a kind of a memory hog. While the video card takes a load off of your system and definately improves things the base program still has a few "quirks" that you have to get used to.

STILL bang for buck the video card was a definate wise investment for me ($97 including shipping). Your milage may vary.

Certainly more processor power and bigger/better RAM can't be a bad thing
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 16:27
What card did you buy Cloud of Crown Studios?

Don't eat yellow snow!
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I ended up getting a Geforce 5200. They have a 128 and a 256 meg version.

Also mine is a PCI card so if you have an AGP slot you should buy that and see even better performance than I do. Cheaper too. An 5200 that is AGP 4x/8x compatible is only $72

Got it from Newegg.com and am very happy with the service. Only took 4 days to arrive (but I ordered it on a Sunday so you can't really count that day). Card was $94 + $3 express shipping. Could have paid more for overnight shipping (believe it wa aprox. $15 for overnight)

The upside to improving your graphics card is you can still stay current with the next generation of games without having to upgrade your whole system. Now my crap PC will handle Halo 2, Doom 3, Farcry, etc. etc.
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 01:18
Never thought a video card could do so much to your performance. I don't know much about a computer's hardware so I don't know what a AGP slot is, I probably don't have it cos my computer is about 4-5 years old. Is it hard to install the card into your computer?

Don't eat yellow snow!
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Never thought a video card could do so much to your performance. "

Neither did I. Thankfully Richard and some other nice folk on the board recommended upgrading that over other things. I'm glad I listened.

Quote: "I don't know much about a computer's hardware so I don't know what a AGP slot is, I probably don't have it cos my computer is about 4-5 years old."

AGP has been around for a while. If you have a pentium processor there is a good chance you have one (not always - my cheapo Dell does not have one). Try this link:
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3994

When in doubt just make sure you get a PCI card (NOT PCI Express which is a newer kind of slot I guess)

If you decide to use newegg.com you can sort video cards by RAM size, slot t ype, etc. so you can filter out what you need. I'll try to give you a link to exactly what I purchased, but I don't know if the link will work right:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-087&depa=1

PS - turns out the card was $95 + $3 S&H (not $94... was off a dollar!?!)

Quote: "Is it hard to install the card into your computer?"

It is without a doubt the single easiest thing to do on a computer. Even RAM can be more difficult becuase you may have to tilt the ram a certain way, apply hard pressure, etc.

With a PCI video card all you do is open your case and look in the back for the line of slots (make sure computer is off). Find a free one (if there is already a video card there you should remove it - you can tell because the monitor cable will run to it - chances are you have an "onboard" video card so you need not worry about it). The cards in the back are held in by a single screw easily taken out with a phillips head screwdriver. You put the new card in (it only fits one way) and apply a litle gentle pressure to make sure the card slides into the slot. Put the screw back in and attach your monitor to the back of the new card. Viola! You are done. (ummm well you do have to turn the computer back on first)

The ONLY snag is if your computer has some weird onboard video card that won't automatically disable in favor of the new card. If that happens you will have to crack out your books, call tech support, get a friend to look at it, etc. because there will be some weird BIOS setting, dip switch or jumper that has to be changed somewhere. This is pretty uncommon though and chances are you won't have this kind of problem.

I'm sure someone more technically inclined may chime in here and offer other advice, but it all sounds much harder reading about it than actually doing it. You would have more trouble replacing the battery in your car then swapping out a new video card. :-P

Good luck and happy zombie killing!
Cloud of Crows Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh and as a follow up you should find a graphics card that you like or that sounds good to you. I like Nvidia cards, but that's a personal preference. A lot of people like other cards (ATI Radeon, etc.)
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 03:14
yeah I have nvidia now but that other guy said radeon 9800 pro is the best card around. I don't know weather I'm going to buy it or not cos the prices differ much on sites so I don't know the prices in the shop.

Don't eat yellow snow!
Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 08:59
I'm suprised he recommended Radeon 9800 Pro. It's not even the newest Radeon out.

Now is the winter of your discontent.
-Stewie from Family Guy
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 19:29
Is the newest more expensive than the 9800 pro?

Don't eat yellow snow!
Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 02:34
Yes, of course. That's the way electronics work. When something new comes out, the old one loses about half its value. The new one is usually 2.5 times the new value of the old one. Mind you this isn't exact, but it is rather close.

Now is the winter of your discontent.
-Stewie from Family Guy
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 02:37
Well, I don't think my budget goes that high! I'm only going to spend around €200 MAX!

Don't eat yellow snow!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 04:27:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 04:27:25