Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / So Frustrated - Looking for door/wall help.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 08:45 Edited at: 21st Feb 2005 01:47
***updated my problem with step-by-step and screenies. See below***

Ugh. OK, so I'm making a compound. I have used the "wall" segment from the WWII section around the entire compound. On a certain place in the wall, I want to place a door, which leads to another area. I place a door, any door mind you, from the segment section and the door is imbedded inside my wall. Even if I can get the door to open, the wall still appears in the doorway.

Am I missing something?

Frustrated and need help. Thanks.

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 09:07
Tried putting the door in first. Problem is, there is a gap on either side of the door now.

Good grief. I must be dumb, becuase I can't be the first person to try and build a wall with a door in it (that is not a prefab).

Hatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Not to sure why it is not working, but try putting the door in a gap and then using the m key to place the wall. That's another way I do it, but both work for me.
Nightbyer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, first things first. Make sure you are putting in a segment door. I know when I first tried FPSC that I tried to use entities for doors. Never in hell is that going to work. If you have any problems I will look directly into them.
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 10:24
Ugh. OK, I made sure that I was using both a segment wall and a segment door.

I don't know what is meant by "use the m key". I put a segement door in a gap. Then I held the m key down and placed a wall segment. Same result. I can see the door frame, but not the door itself. The wall shows up in the doorway. When I use the door (hit enter), the doors swing open, but I still see the wall in the doorway and I can't go through.

Pulling my hair out here.

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 12:10
Have you tried placing the segment wall there before placing the segment door. I have always done it in that order, and have yet to experience a problem like the one you describe.

Now is the winter of your discontent.
-Stewie from Family Guy
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2005 12:44
Ominous,

Yes, I have tried it both ways. I can successfully put a segment door into a prefab or even into a segment piece like a corridor. The only problem I have is with putting a door into a wall segment.

Hammer
Years of Service
User Offline
im having the same problem as well....
not sure whats going on..
been working on putting a duct in a segment wall
for 3 days now.

got it to work going in the duct but it wont open
on the other end coming out...
hammer
Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 01:09
Ah, Hammer I think I know what your problem is.
Make a duct connect to a wall segment and then put a duct door on the connection between the wall segment and the duct. The duct doors are located in here: segment library/sci fi/scenery

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Don't eat yellow snow!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 01:39
I'm going to post now a step-by-step of what I'm doing (along with a final screenie) and I'm hoping someone in the "know" can try and duplicate this so I know I'm not dumb and/or going nuts:

1. I paint an 4x5 with the ground segement.
2. I click on add new segment, then I go to the 'scenery' folder of the 'ww2' folder and choose the 'wall large'.
3. I then paint a wall around the entire 4x4 area.
4. I click on add new segment again and I go to the 'scenery' folder of the ww2 section again and choose 'Door Deadbolt Use'. I place the door in one of the wall segments I created earlier. Screenie part 1 shows the door in the wall and the 'green' part of the door on both sides of the wall like it should.
5. I test play. Screenie part 2 and 3 show the door as I walk up to it and finally the door when I click 'enter' to use.

I hope someone can help me with this. I can't continue my game until I get this resloved. I'm really hoping it's operator error and not some new bug.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 03:58
Anyone? Please help?

Chimera
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 04:47
Got the same as you so it's a bug. You can walk through the wall though.

Don't eat yellow snow!
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 04:49
Chimera,

OK, it's a bug then. That's actually a relief believe it or not. At least I know that I'm not a complete moron.

Are you having the same issue as I am with gaps on on either side of doors when using them with a corridor segment?

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 09:11
If two people have experienced, I shall place it in the bug list.

-Stewie from Family Guy
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2005 19:24
Hi, this happens because the wall is set as an overlay. There is no CSG operations carried out on overlays. What we will do is make a new segment using this wall texture.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Hammer
Years of Service
User Offline
i have this same problem as well,,
like you im glad its a bug so i dont feel so stupid..

lol

hammer
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 05:20
Thanks Rick for responding. This will be a huge improvment on the first patch to the EA. Hopefully you all will address the "gap" issue created by the doors in the same fix. Those two I think would make for some very happy campers

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 06:22
Well until they fix it, I guess you'll have to use regular walls, instead of the overlays.

-Stewie from Family Guy
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 07:13
Ominous, by 'regular' walls, I assume you mean prefabs?

I don't understand.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 07:40
I believe he means segment walls. Choose a segment, press m and rotate the arrow to paint the segment wall only where you want it.

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 07:50
Yes, I meant segment walls. RickV said you were using overlays, instead of actual walls.

-Stewie from Family Guy
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 08:43
Well, the one I was using was "Large Wall" from the Segments -> WW2 -> Scenery section. Is that an overlay? If so, where are the 'regular' walls?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2005 23:08
That is not a regular wall - it's an overlay. We will ensure that there are base segments using these walls.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:30 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2005 00:47
Scenery walls aren't walls; they're overlays. To get an acutal wall go to segments, create new segment, and click on the segment you want. Go to your library click on the segment you want to use, the go up to the file bar and click "segments" and under that click "paint only walls". Voila! you now have doors that work.

-Stewie from Family Guy
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:39
OMG! So it was that easy all the time. Unbelievable. Thanks, Ominous. I knew I could count on a fellow Gater to come through.

Is this in the manual? Part of me hopes not, becuase if it is, then I'm going to feel like a major moron.

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:50
I'm not sure if it's in the manual or not. I just naturally did it this way. I didn't even know there were walls in the scenery folder. When I first saw your problem, I kept wondering to myself, "How in the world did he manage that?"

-Stewie from Family Guy
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 00:58 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2005 00:58
Man, for days I've been wrestling with this and pulling my hair out, cursing at my machine, etc, etc Here the whole time, all I had to do was select the "paint walls only" button.

I'm thinking that some of this is becuase I'm not used to working in a 3D environment (other than the software I use in my classroom which is Bryce 5). I'm more used to working in a 2D graphical environment, creating graphics for Web design. Guess I have to start thinking in 3D

Anyway, thanks alot for the help. I may have gotten an answer quicker if I was better able to articulate my issue.

Ominous
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2005 01:02
I have Neverwinter Nights, so I'm used to working in 3D (perspective changing 3D, rather than the only top-down view of FPSC.) Plus it has craploads of features in the toolbars, as well as wizards. I guess I just naturally look in the toolbars first for anything, because of that.

-Stewie from Family Guy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 02:48:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 02:48:35