Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / how do i texture a model in 3dsmax4

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello,
does any body know an easy way to texture a model in 3ds max4?
if you can anwser this thanks.
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
This is one of the easyest part.
Well,i have no time to explain and i dont really wanna make a tutorial.
The tutorials that helped me very much , was the tutorials that came with g-max,the one were you skin the machine , but as always,basic-knowlege must be there.

try,www.3dcafe.com and then goto the tutorials but better is the tutorial in g-max, remember , g-max and 3dsmax is the same "directly-interface".

~aNgEl

And justice for all.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 06:32
textureing is a simple enough job
although the tutorials cover the basics, not really enough to help alot.
The way i tend to skin a model is I take the model as it is, say a box...
Press M for the Materials Menu, click on the first sphere and then on the little box next to diffuse... click on bitmap on the next menu and find the jpg/bmp/tga of what you want to use and click oki
then close the materials and select the object. Apply the UV Map Modifier, this will give you a roll out of 7 options -
Plain, Cylinder (capped), Shrink Wrap, Sphere, Box, Face, XYZ
Perhaps not in that order, but thats all of them
Now what we do is apply one of this simple maps to the object. Play about with them on more complex objects to understand them better (recommend not using XYZ until you are sure of what your doing)
As this is a box though we'll apply the Box Map
This will apply 6 plain maps to the box, if it has multiple faces then its the direction the face is mostly facing in determines what plain of the box map it goes to.
Now lets say you don't want the box to be the whole of the texture size, well then what we do is goto the modifiers this time UV Unwrap, and you'll see a new roll out.
Edit, Save, Load, Reset... no need to worry about any of the others right now just Edit the Map and a new screen will appear. This is the actual Texture Map
It should be showing you, your texture plus your Box as it if was 2D. Now the little squares are the Vertex points and the lines are your Visible Edges
Now looks nice but what we wanna do is basically take this box and flatten it out. So you have a few options you can either selected each of the faces, move them apart and move the vertex in the UV Unwrap Editor ... or you can simply click once on each vertex and pull them out. However you do it the result is the same, might take a lil while, but drag each face out to be seperate and then you can setup faces however you like.

But the general practise of skinning a model is the same, start with something basic to keep the main shape and then pull out the areas you need, once you've done the whole model you can then arrange them to have them as large as possible whilst keeping within the white square, as that is the texture boundries. For some reason Max textures are always offset, so don't be surprised if you get gaps. Just takes a little practise to get it done right.
Find a program called texporter http://www.maxplugins.de as it will allow you to export the UV Map of an object as a bitmap save alot of time if you can work to the map.
Also I personally use http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/ChilliSkinner/ for unwraping as you can take the 3D objects and literally take them apart make a texture map and then put it back together. Very useful for low polygon work.
It does take a little getting used to, and also it oftenly requires a little after editing - but it still saves a great amount of time

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Face-texturing is the best way,just aplying a texture to the whole mesh is un-professional and it dont look very good.

Please,look at the tutorial that came with max,in the second cd are very nice tutorial and all the objects you need to go trough the tutorials are in the second cd.

DaRk - aNgEl

And justice for all.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 20:44
i dont like the UVmapping in max, it just doesnt feel good to me. try lithunwrap

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 22:01
Face-Textureing?
The way described wasn't a simple setup of appling a standard UV map and your done - hehee
It is a way to introduce and allow the user to develop his/her own technique from a base
Plus the tutorials for Max are a complete waste of time, for the more advanced features they can oftenly help - like certain material setups, particles and such...
But with basics especially game based, Max's tutorial have ALOT to be desired - as they skim the top only, and they seem to thing that low polygon means less than 100,000

Frogger, have you tried the Max Mapper and found all of the little tools? I mean its quite powerful, once you get used to it. And thankfully one of the easiest parts of max to pickup... Its good to know that Max treats each face with it down UV vertex set, so you can have multiple Vertex UV wise for the same Vertex on the actual model. I know that Maya, Lightwave and trueSpace all do this too (and Milkshape if you manually un-weld) but it is an invaluable tool.

The only thing I wish is that you could select the Vertex and Faces without having to re-edit the mesh, becuase that adds ALOT of time to when I try to map.
Why I tend to go for Chiliskinner ... because it speeds the process up - also allows me to develop customs maps quickly, and takes minimal of editing afterwards to get it perfect. Just apply a 512x512 texture, put pixel snap on and then move it and you can make them perfectly. Setup combined faces so that you don't require several versions of say the side of the head
Space is paramount in a skin, especially game wise ... the bigger you can get the main parts and the tighter you can squeeze them all together - the better the quality can be.
Especially if you develop at 2x the final size and scale down

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 19:04
-i dont like the UVmapping in max, it just doesnt feel good to me. try lithunwrap

Unfrotunately Frog,Max's Unwrapper is EXACTLY the SAME as lithunwrap 1.3....Right up to the single little bug.

Try zooming in the unwrapper in Max,when close to the vertice,the texture disappears with a kinda lag...Same thing as in Lithunwrap...

One good thing though is that lithunwrap will place the texture roughly saving you time and frustrations

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes vegeta, i must agree , but face-texturing is the best way , and latter aplying the UV-map

well,since people make models wiith max for games that WILL be programmed in C++ is that soo , cause at the moment they did that , they didnt think in the littles ones

500poly a model , this make me sick

DaRk - aNgEl

And justice for all.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 21:46
erm... i think i'm gonna need someone to translate that
i'm now not sure what you mean by face-textureing :s

Max really isn't too good for low polygon modelling, its way to easi if you don't have some decent knowlage of the program to jump over your limit. Especially taking advantage of the buggy chamfer and splitting, as you'll need to understand some knowlage of howto get those freaky vertex into place :p

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 15:43
One thing I find impractical in Max R3 is that you don't see all the meshe's interior edges(unless selected) even with the Edged Faces on.
Well maybe there's way to get to see them but I haven't found it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 19:45
thats in Max4&5 too... you have to manually visible the edges you want - something i actually like about max is the ability to created the editing (edged faces) to your own setup.

To make them visible or invisible, (assuming youre already in edit mode) click on the edge selection tool (unfilled triangle in selection) ... select the edges you want to be visible - and scroll down to surface properties, and you'll have 3 options there - visible | invisible | AutoEdge
it is oftenly far easier on low poly models to select all the edges make them visible and then make the select few you want hidden invisible because you can see them

The edges you make visible will now setup the boundries for the editing faces, so if you selected all the edges at the end of a hexgon cylinder - instead of a single face you'd now have 6 slices.

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 20:02
Thanks that'll help.

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
hello,
Me again does any body know a
good 3rd party texture mapper for max4
kinda like u/v cow for true space.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 14:12
ChiliSkinnner + Texporter
http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/chilliskinner
http://www.maxplugins.de

Personally use Chilliskinner with Texporter, but also there is Maxplugins - german run but in english... has thousands of free plugins

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 00:18
max is not the same as Lith, i have both and they are very different.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 15:38
Well I don't have Max 4 or up...Too much money for me even if I make 45,000$ a year...I'm glad for you students who have this kind of money though.

Max R3.1=SAME UNWRAPPER AS LITHUNWRAP...not to confuse with the new versions of both.

If you still believe those are different,at least don't say it.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 01:55
im using max 5.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:32:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:32:59