Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / New here. 2D DarkBasic Question!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey just joined up, I own the dark basic package, and I was just wondering about a few things before I go trying anything with the coding.

Well, im wondering, if the following things are possable/can be done with darkbasic, Im exprienced with the M.U.G.E.N fighting engine and all thoe various RPG makers out there, but im itching to still move to bigger and better 2D game design. But im wondering;
is a full 2D fighting game possable?
Or a Final Fantasy 6 style RPG?
Would it require extreame amounts of work?
Maybe its been done before? And is extreamly easy?
Sorry for all the questions, but it would be nice to know about these things, since they interest me most at the moment.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 04:11
First off WELCOME! It's great to see a fellow mugenite!! I used Mugen back in its glory days. I only spit out one char which was the Tallgeese. Just about anything is possible with DB, the real question is if your capable of doing it. You can make RPG's, or any type of game with in reason. It would require extreme amounts of work. It has been done before. Hope this Helps.

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
warzog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 06:59
It depends on how good an artist you are, and how much detail you want in your art, and game.

Many people, my self included, are trying for maximum realism, and are no where near finished.

If you go low tech, simple, then it's fairly easy.
DMagusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey brent, well done on your creations, and thanks for the info and welcome.

Well, I like to consider myself a talented 2D pixel artist, I dont think I would go any further then that at the moment. And if I was to do anything long term, it would have to be a 2D Final Fantasy 5/6 style RPG. But warzog, im interested in what you mean by "low tech" lol, what would you class that as exactly?

Oh and btw, if anyone can point me in the way of 2D RPG design tutorials (if there is any of the sort or similar) I would be very grateful.

Also, has a 2D style RPG/Fighting game, been made and released using DarkBasic yet? If someone could point me in the way of one of those, it would be very interesting to see whats been done so far. Thanks.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 08:28
Although nearly everone wants to make a RPG, none have been complete. Also considering that there are as many different types of RPGs as there are types of games, there's little chance of finding one. RPGs will take the most time to make and since you'll probably never finish half the games to start, the chances are small. Not that I wouldn't want to see you be the first . In truth, you may want to start small, make a simple tech demo, a Atari remake, something basic.

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:42:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:42:48