Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / i need some code help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi, im quite new to dbpro but im sure most people recognise me as a db long time user. I have a question to do with bsp maps. Im using basically the same code as the first person tutorial with dbpro but with a deifferent map. This map needs me to be able to move down slopes and fall down holes and such forth. Now the dbpro demo has gravity on but the problem is that i am right on the ground so i dont look like im standing up. I cant seem to get myself to look tall without cancelling out the gravity which i need. Also when using the code for gravity just the basic position object command if i have it too high i cant walk up slopes but if i have it low enough so caqn walk up slopes falling down the hole is VERY slow.

Hope evryone gets my drift and will be able to help me with my problems.
keep the addiction healthy
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 02:34
OK - Create an object that is always a certain distance below the camera and directly beneath it and apply all the collision stuff to that. Altering that distance affects the "height" of the player.

Just move the object as required then Set Camera to Object Orientation on the camera, x position and z position the camera above the object.

To deal with the gravity, use the BSP Collision Y command. When the player is on a flat surface this is high (eg: 0.2 to 0.7), on a slope this is medium (0.005 to 0.1) and when in midair this is very low (0.0001 and below)

Simply adjust the gravity as needed / collision threshold as needed.

I am not fully 100% sure about this but theoretically it should work.

what is a signature?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:09:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:09:35