Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Adding textures and new Skys

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

i am having serious problems adding my own textures to my own, new created segments. I did what the manual suggests (make the texture a tga, make it 256x256) but the texture does not show up in the browser, when i try to "change" the Texture.
Could somebody please helm me a bit here ... maybe Noldor ... it seems as if he has mastered this obstacle allready.
Then i would like to know, where i may change the sky texture. Here i am also a bit stuck ... :-(
Thanks in advance
Heiner

Imagination rules!!!
Heiner McHink
Years of Service
User Offline
He folks,
please ... dont let me down! Anybody must know a solution! I am really stuck here. How do i get these ***** textures to work!
Thanks!!!

Imagination rules!!!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2005 19:40
are you asking how to get the skysphere to be textured with your skytexture?

"Well, if he dies, it'll teach him not to do it again." - Me
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2005 20:34 Edited at: 15th Apr 2005 20:37
You should change any texture - in the script file that is associated with any FPSC object. You need to keep your textures in the correct location as indicated in the script - or your own "User Folders" then change the reference in the script file to point to the texture location. You should delete any .bin files and .dbo files assocuiated with the object you change a texture on so that your new textures show up in level test.

Do not delete any other files. - Always keep a backup.
Heiner McHink
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, my problem in more detail:
what i want to do, is create a new segment from the scratch, using the segment editor, and a 3d modeling software of my choice. I make my model (.X), apply my texture (tga, 256x256) and save it into the "files" dirctory structure of FPSC. There i have created new folders for the mesh, and for the texture in the given places (files/meshbank/mymeshes ... files/texturebank/mytextures).
Now when i start the segment editor, i can navigate with the browser of the segment editor to my mesh, and i can load it, view it, rotate it, just fine. But now, when i want to apply my texture, and click on "change texture" in the segment editor, the browser comes up, and i can navigate to my texture folder. But tere is no trace of my texture. It is in the right folder, it is TGA, but it does not show up.
What do i have to do, to make my segment in the segment editor, to finish it, and to save it, in order to use it with the FPSC main application.

The skydome question is a seperate question: How do i change the textures on my skydome? How do i apply it and how may i use these changed skydome in the main FPSC application.

Thanks for helping me!
Heiner

Imagination rules!!!
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 05:13 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2005 05:14
I have NEVER used the "Segment editor" so i don't know
the solution to your problems.

I made my Segment before the "segment editor" was
released to the public, using only.
"Lightwave", "Milkshape", "Deep exploration" and "photoshop".

Sorry that i cant be of more help.
Heiner McHink
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, too bad ...
But you made new segmets, right? At least it looks like. When i see you tunnel segment, it looks like it has new geomentry. I really would apprechiate if you could put together a little "How to" tutorial, on what you do to turn your segemt models into geometry which can be used in FPSCreator.
I hope i am not asking too much of you!
Best regards
Heiner

Imagination rules!!!
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
It is New geometry. I made the tunnel from scratch.
i do not have the time to jot down how i did it right now
but maby later. SRY
Frontier Computing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2005 23:09
I have the same problem as you in Segment Editor, I cant find the textures I have made either.
Simple remedy, you have to manually insert the textures using the .FPS file in the segments directory. A good clue to what you're editing is to look at the mesh type, then at the (blank) textured= field, put the path name of the texture you want. i.e:
texturebank/scifi/folder/texture.tga (sometimes you have to specify the DDS file instead of the tga)
Hope that helps - dont worry, its not a problem with your computer, the segment editor is a great tool, but with many bugs

$$$$ HEY BIG SOFTWARE COMPANY, I'M READY TO SELL OUT $$$$

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:45:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:45:57