Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DG SDK - will starting with DBPro be be easier than going straight to DarkGame

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 21:28
I am wondering how different these DB Pro and DG SDK are to use?

and is starting programing using DarkGame SDK a better step then starting in DB Pro if I want to (eventually) make commercial products?

>>>>>>>>>>>MIRAGE STUDIOS<<<<<<<<<<<
>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<>GLADIATOR ARENA<
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2005 21:46
They use the same back-end code. They just use a different compiler.

They aren't much different in use either

DBPro:

C++:

If you already know C or C++, and can use a debugger, then start there. Otherwise, it might be easier for you to learn DBPro first.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2005 17:18
So its really the same interface and commands (with maybe a few extras) with a better compiler and makes games rune faster then.

STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2005 17:23
Ok thanks for the info. You can convert games from DB Pro to DG SDK right?

Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 01:09
I heard of some one making a coverter at one time, dont know how that is turning out.

I would say yes you ca convert DBP to Dark SDK, but you would have to rework the code and not to mention some the bugs/work arounds that may popup.

Soon to come... Dark IDE, New IDE for DarkBASIC Pro!
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2005 12:10
cool thanks for the info

Tiggster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2005 15:10
I think it is sort of misleading to tell someone that using DBPro and DarkSDK aren't much different. Sure, the SDK command set is very similar to DBPro, but programming a game using the SDK versus DBPro are two very different experiences and require very different skill sets. You can jump into DBPro using a few tutorials and be able to figure things out with little trouble, but unless you can efficiently write C++ code and have a solid understanding of object oriented programming, you are going to have a difficult time doing anything useful with the SDK.

Unless you are a knowledgable C++ programmer, understand that learning the C++ language is a prerequisite for developing using the SDK. Non-C++ developers and amatuars should use DBPro unless they are willing to make a serious commitment to learning C++ and OOP. C++ is a huge learning curve for anyone who has never written code in C/C++.

Just a disclaimer to anyone who thinks they can jump into C++ and learn it on the fly. It just isn't that simple. C++ is definitely worth learning and the SDK is a great tool, but know what you're getting yourself into.
dwilson32
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2005 04:01 Edited at: 17th May 2005 20:05
I agree tiggster. If you are a beginner programmer, you really should start with VBPro first to get the feel of structure and basic programming fundamentals. Then, once you have a basic understanding of programming in general, move on to C++ and learn object oriented programming, or stay with VBPro. I will say, I like the syntax of C++ better than VBPro since I have been coding in PHP and Java for the past 5 years. I just don't like that there are no tutorials (that I have found so far) for interfacing with the SDK.

I have a good handle on object oriented programming and I am still struggling a little trying to learn the SDK. lol! I do still consider myself a novice programmer.

Ralen
Years of Service
User Offline
start with C++ and the SDK.

The DBPro has too many limitations.

You will spend several months learning DBPro, when you could be spending that time learnign C.

It is just one of those things, C++/SDK has a larger learning curve, but in the end it will more than likely get you where you want.

Ralen
Alberto
Years of Service
User Offline
go to C++ and SDK
I have in front of me my C++.NET manual
I would say that 13 chapters only, out of 27 are a must for game programming

Alberto
STALKER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 18:33
Interesting facts to take into consideration fellas, but seeing as how im am really new il stick with DBPro for now, but who knows what will haoppen in the future

>>MEDIEVAL CARNIVAL<->GLADIATOR ARENA<<
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2005 18:58
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2005 01:01 Edited at: 24th Jun 2005 01:02
I'm personally developing in DBPro first, since I already know DB and will try a port of my game for optimization later in C++ with the DB SDK.

Breaking Stuff=Fun!,Bug Testing<>Fun!, Bug Testing=Breaking Stuff, so...
Bug Testing=Fun! Hmmmm....
DOES NOT COMPUTE! SYSTEM MALFUNTION!
Amey
Years of Service
User Offline
So wat u guys are saying is that the SDK can make better games?
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 13:06 Edited at: 26th Jun 2005 13:07
the only reason i bought the darkbasic pro and not the dark sdk was because i was already far into a project i started using the trial version of DBP. Once that project is done im switching over to the dark sdk, and maybe converting my finished program in db into the dark sdk.

@ Amey
No, its the programmer who makes the games good or bad. There are plenty of games made in darkbasic that are much better than games made in C++ and dark sdk.

If your talking about huge scale professional quality games, the dark SDK takes the cake, but most people who need to ask that question arnt skilled enough to notice a difference between using the sdk and dbp.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:15:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:15:40