Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Error in the editor (trial version)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I have installed the trial today. I ran the Face demo, but it crashed out (I do not have hardware 3D support on this computer) and ZoneAlarm kicked up saying it was trying to access the Internet.

I returned to DBPro editor and when navigating the HTML menu's at the side of the screen, I started to get a pop up with this error:

Access violation at address 6f6c6c65. Read of address 6f6c6c65.

The errors got worse, and this now pops up every second or so. I have tried closing and running again, but it keeps doing this now?

Any advice on how to sort it out?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 19:53
Have you reset the computer and tried again ?

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 20:08
To be honest if you don't have a 3D card of some description in there (GeForce, ATI, etc) it probably makes more sense to uninstall it rather than get disillusioned about the program. What version of DirectX do you have installed (you need 8.1) and what operating system do you have?

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
alt
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi I have DirectX that comes with Windows XP.

I only wanted to try making 2D games, is this not possible if you have not got a 3D card?

My card is a 3D card (S3 Graphics Inc. Trio3D), but XP does not support the 3D functions on it and as it is so old, the driver manufacturer has said they would not be updating it. Bummer huh?!

Can I create a game which just uses the DirectDraw side of DirectX and cut out any access to 3D? SOrry for the 'newbie-ness' of the question.
alt
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, the error I get only after compiling and running a file. It may possibly be related to my under powered 3D support, but the error pops up while DBpro is running until I restart Windows. Restarting DBPro makes no difference.
djr2cool
Years of Service
User Offline
you are out of luck. those sprites are actually 3d plains. as for paste image i am not sure.. but i heard that dx8 dropped 2d support. OpenGL is the same way ortho view+3d plains = 2d.

Regular DB may work for you though.

alt
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, I have not been able to open a window or do any drawing operations (eg: box 10,10,30,30) without a crash on my lowly graphics card. I could run a program that was nothing more than a repeat ... until loop, but nothing more :-(

I was testing the demo on my low spec and high spec PC. Ofcourse, it ran all the commands on the high spec PC but alas I wish to create 2D games and need them to run on any version of Windows from 98 to XP (with latest DirectX would be fine).

Thank you for releasing a demo version of DBPro, it has been useful to evaluate and try-before-you-buy. I'm sorry it is not suitable for me. Good luck in the future
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 18:10
The spec of your PC isn't really the issue, it's just the graphics card inside it. Windows98 or XP would both work just fine with DBPro, but the requirement of the program is "3D Hardware Acceleration" - for a good reason I'm afraid. This doesn't mean "top of the range GF4", but it does mean dedicated card. Just like 99% of games these days need it

Cheers,

Rich

alt
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, sorry - I did not make my reasons for why it was not suitable for me clear enough. What I meant to say was that I need to write games for 98 through XP and it is not an issue if you need to have DX 8.1 installed. So that is not the reason why I can't use DBPro, sorry about that confusion!

My problem stems from the overall architecture of the machines I plan to deploy the games/applications on.

A good proportion are IBM 300pl's and lower spec's. I have only tested the demo on the IBM's with Windows XP installed, but XP does not support the 3D side of the Trio3D card! Others have matrox milleniums and other such cards which were good 2D cards at the time, but only have token 3D hardware support.

But all machines, in all configurations have a mixture of OS's which leaves me in a dilema. The IBM 300PL's with XP will not work, but the ones with 98 may. Then there are some older Compaq's that just have not got any 3D to begin with. :-(

I guess my requirements are pretty unique, as DBPro is not aimed at such users. Thanks for your replies.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2002 15:12
Sounds to me like the only solution you could use would be something that didn't use 3D and worked in 2D (like DB113 or the original Blitz) - that's the only way to satisfy your very unique requirements!

Cheers,

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:59:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:59:03