Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / will DBPro offer support for onboard chipsets?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2002 21:40
this note from Rich>

To be honest if you don't have a 3D card of some description in there (GeForce, ATI, etc) it probably makes more sense to uninstall it rather than get disillusioned about the program. What version of DirectX do you have installed (you need 8.1) and what operating system do you have?

Cheers,

Rich
>
so will later patches correct this ? Or should i limit my game making to DB113 or Purebasic ?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 02:43
If your game has to run in software mode, then yes stick to DB113. 3D Hardware Acceleration of some description is a well stated requirement of DBPro.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 03:12
Yeah.. I'm putting off getting DB Pro, until I get a Geforce 2 MX 400, its gotta be better than a Onboard SiS 630 right? lol

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

http://www.rpgcyco.com - My Website & Forums
Specs: PIII - 866MHz, 128MB SDRAM, 8MB SiS 630, 17inch monitor, 18.6GB HDD 5400rpm, Win ME, DX8.1b, 56k Modem
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 03:18
For sure

Cheers,

Rich

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 08:11
seems kinda odd that an AMD 1700 xp with an on board 32MB sis chipset cant handle DBPro.... works great with Shogun and Dragon Seige. but whatever. learn and move on.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 13:31
I'd be surprised if an AMD1700 and 32meg card can't handle DBPro too - with the latest revision drivers and DX8.1b installed there shouldn't be any problems with it. I thought the newer sis chipsets had 3D hardware acceleration as standard.

Cheers,

Rich

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 17:07
they do, and i have that option enabled on the setup screen.
i was wondering if maybe DBpro does a system test of supported options, and if it finds an unsupported mode (shading?) it switches to software mode instead of just not using that option. Nice of you to reply though
even if you can't fix it.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 18:06
No DBPro doesn't use software mode at all so it can't do any automatic switching. Do none of the demos work at all? Even things like the simple 3D cube? Make sure you've got the latest drivers for your card (even onboard ones use them) installed because I'm baffled why it won't run.

Cheers,

Rich

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 20:10
actually, i can run most of the demos, my major complaints are...
1 - speed is not blindingly fast, and seem to be the same as DB113
2 - 3D objects do not seem to load properly
3 - some important 3D commands don't seem to be working

when i tested with Lees tutorial 25, Db113 updates in about
30 milisecs on my system and DBPro (after fixing some problems with porting code) updates in about 25 milisecs.
this equates to a frame rate of 33 fps DB113 and 40 fps for DBPro in exclusive full screen mode with screen set to 640x400. Although, DBPro did occatinally drop to 13 milisecs at times (when near the edge of the matrix).
the terrain example seemd "ruff" but ran at 40 fps. The sprite commands seem slow also, but still faster than DB113.
I think i could push things by passing the backbuffer to a dll to draw sprites, but thats cheating. In your adds, you promissed the moon, and we got nevada. Although it may look simular, its not the same Perhaps it will be better after the bugs are worked out and peaple have time to adjust. Side note: Will PureBasic create compatible .DLL for DarkBasic ? You know for solving that sprite/gui stuff
that is so hard for DB to get right. I'll need to test that next i guess....
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 09:20
Onboard SiS cards SUCK! I speak from personal experience. They run some things fine, but other things they run SLOWER than software mode. That is probably your problem right there. Get yourself a geforce card of some description, and for preference, a new motherboard to get that onboard thing out of the way, and everything that doesn't run significantly faster is probably down to bugs in DBPro, which are being worked on.

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 16:13
"You know for solving that sprite/gui stuff that is so hard for DB to get right."

Show me something to do with sprites that doesn't work right? (other than get image).

Cheers,

Rich

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:08
sprite/gui stuff hard to get right....

placing/trapping mouse input over a sprite GUI object
when the screen reselution changes between users....
(Assuming you wish to use the end users screen settings).

mix in some multiple fonts and you have work to do just to say hello
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 17:12
You're unable to figure out if the mouse is over a sprite even though you have full access to the sprite dimensions and location on-screen (regardless of the resolution you're running in) and the exact mouse coordinates.

Sorry, but I don't call that a bug!!!

Cheers,

Rich

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:15:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:15:16