Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Bug with standalone exe's.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 09:39
Hi

I think there's a bug with DBPro's standalone exe's, when they've got media attached to them.
If you delete any media ( while the program is executing ), and then attampts to load it again(IE like exiting to the Main Menu, and starting a new game), then it crashes, complaining about the media that doesn't exist. It's like it's deleting the media permanently, but when you exit the exe, and runs it again, it can load the media again. I don't know if it's a bug, but it's annoying me quite a lot.

KLU 007

*** PANZERGAMES ***
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 20:02
If the media is included in the exe there is no reason to delete it. Deleting stuff removes it from the .exe's memory for a speed boost. If the media is included in the .exe it will delete it from the .exe's memory and since it is included in the .exe it will be lost.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 22:53 Edited at: 11th Jun 2005 22:54
But in our game we use a system so if you get "Game Over" it of course needs to get back to the menu. But before going back to the menu we make sure it deletes every object(So you can start the game again without getting a "Object already exist" error).

Visit PanzerGames here
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 22:56
Why do that ? Your just wasting time having to reload everything again.
All you need to do is hide everything.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 23:15
But..... I don't think you understand our way of doing it
Because every time you quit to the menu it needs to delete the object's. Because when you then start a new game it will make all the objects again(If we just hided our objects in our code we would get a error about that objects already exist). So i think we just have to don't make it a stand-alone. But that's a shame since we wanted our media to be compressed and most importent ENCRYPTED.

Visit PanzerGames here
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 23:50
Quote: "Because every time you quit to the menu it needs to delete the object's. Because when you then start a new game it will make all the objects again(If we just hided our objects in our code we would get a error about that objects already exist)"

Not if you load everything at the start of the program.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2005 23:52 Edited at: 11th Jun 2005 23:53
Quote: " Why do that ? Your just wasting time having to reload everything again.
All you need to do is hide everything."

Try turning backdrop on, then hiding a load of sprites. You'll pretty soon notice an FPS of about 10 - and I'm being serious. I've tested this on many computers, and all cuase the same problem (hidden sprites make the program run slower, not faster)

Plus; if that's their strategy, then so be it. Fix the bug!

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 02:14 Edited at: 12th Jun 2005 02:16
Not here :

FPS of around 70 (very large sprites) with visible sprites
Activate the hide sprite and its over 200
Increase it to 50, and its 23 and over 200

Although the initial problem does seem to be a bug.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 02:57
I aslo meant that something 3d was on the screen (forgot to say that).

[url=www.lightningstudios.co.uk][/url]
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 03:34
I am positive there is a way to do that without deleting the media. In my game I hide around 100 sprites while the 3D part runs then hide the 3D and show the 2D for the menu and swap back and forth all the time.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 04:50
Quote: " I aslo meant that something 3d was on the screen (forgot to say that)."

Still just as fast.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2005 14:44
I do not believe this is a bug. Without this functionality how could you delete an image from memory to increase performance as it would still be there to load again when needed?

Also if you really really insist on using this method, why not leave the images and delete the sprites? If this doesn't work then I'll bet you have a low memory graphics card. I think this is where your slowdown is coming from. My game runs at 110FPS with around 80k polys on screen and around 100 hidden sprites used for my menus. Though I have a 256MB graphics card.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 04:43
I don't experiance this bug with this code.

It works fine with all the image attachment options, compression etc.
Just incase you don't know the attachment compression isn't much use. It makes the game load slower since it has to decompress everything.
It makes the exe harder to compress, your final .zip that people download is usually bigger with media compresssion than without.

Quote: "I do not believe this is a bug. Without this functionality how could you delete an image from memory to increase performance as it would still be there to load again when needed?"

DELETE IMAGE deletes the image from memory and LOAD IMAGE loads the image from disk not from memory.

dbhelp - online dbpro help files with user comments
Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2005 11:51
Quote: "Because every time you quit to the menu it needs to delete the object's. Because when you then start a new game it will make all the objects again(If we just hided our objects in our code we would get a error about that objects already exist). So i think we just have to don't make it a stand-alone. But that's a shame since we wanted our media to be compressed and most importent ENCRYPTED.
"

Couldn't you just make your menu and loader for the objects in seperate functions and check to see if the objects exist from the menu before the game starts if not load them, if they do just unhide them?

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 23:55
I'm just bumping this because of the Bug Fixing Week, or what you call it.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 23:58
Can you provide an example program with any media to demonstrate this happening?

Are you talking about adding media to your project in the editor, then there is a problem if you use the likes of delete object and delete image?
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:09
Yeah, the problem is when adding media to the project from the editor.
When the program is executed as a stand alone .exe, and media is deleted by DELETE MUSIC, or DELETE OBJECT or stuff like that, the media cannot be loaded again, and you're given an error when trying.

Okay, I tried to make an example program(attached), but Windows gives an error about the compiler, which ends. When executing the exe, nothing happens.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:30
Sorry, I can't recreate the "bug". Maybe something was fixed in 5.8?
When I first got the error was while using the 5.8 beta.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 04:02
Will mark it as fixed for now as I recall Lee making some adjustments to this when we were working on 5.8 and maybe the final version has resolved it. If it is a problem in 5.9 then please post again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:59:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:59:07