Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DBSDK Beginner questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 04:50
1. Does it work with DBPro extentions? (Blue Etc...)
2. What exactly is it? (If I'm paying $60, I want to know what I'm getting.)
3. Is it a C++ version of DBPro? libraries for C++? (Similar to 2)
4. I haven't programmed in C++ before. I had used BASIC prior to DB. C++ is in my opinion a little more difficult to learn. How much C++ do you need to know for the SDK to be useful?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 05:11
The SDK does not currently work with all of the extensions. So far only the Advanced Terrain extension is supported. Work is planned to support extensions created directly by TGC.

Basically the SDK is a set of library and header files. You use these in conjunction with your compiler to create applications. It provides functionality from DB Pro for C++ for example "load object" in DB Pro is now "dbLoadObject" in the SDK. There are commands for 2D, 3D, multiplayer, images, music, sound, light, camera, particles and more that work the same as those found in DB Pro.

If you are comfortable programming in one language the transition to another should not be too difficult. Once you know the fundamentals of programming those concepts generally cross over into other languages. You don't really need to know all the ins and outs of C++, as long as you know about functions and things like loops and if statements it will be enough to get you started.
Keaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 05:23
Thanks for the info I have basically what I need now. Is there any planned support for VisBasic?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2005 05:46
There's currently no plans to support Visual Basic.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2005 12:54
keaz, if you want to make some killer games, you will only really need to learn C++ fundamentals. I would like to reccommend Sams teach your self c++ in 24 hours. Excellent book.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:44:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:44:33