Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How would you like to use PS2, XBox and Gamecube code in your Dark SDK projects?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Dark Basic was a great help to me before I got into the games industry (I have worked for EA, Kuju Entertainment and now work for Lionhead Studios) and I remember how I would have given anything to use the kind of technology they used in professional games that appeared on consoles and PC.

Now it seems I am writing those kinds of technologies - and to make things better I own the rights to one of them - Serenity Interface - a tool to bring the power of Macromedia Flash to your games.

I am considering buying a copy of Dark Game SDK and porting the Serenity Interface player to it and making it available to you - which means you will have access to middleware previously only available to games industry professionals.

But before I do this I want to know if anybody would really use this, so if you do want access to this kind of technology then let me know.

Oh, yeah - you can download an early demo of what Serenity Interface can do at [href]www.xiotex.com

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 14:26
oOo. I'm a pro at flash and I must admit, making game interfaces using it would be very convenient. If it was tightly integrated I'd certainly be interested...

Is what your talking about even possible considering the source for dark sdk is unavailable?

Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Very - the Serenity Interface library is totally hardware and OS agnostic and all that is required for integration is to implement a simple c++ class. As long as I can get Dark SDK to draw textured quads then it should be easy.

I don't need access to the Dark SDK source code to do this.

One question I have though - does Dark SDK expose a pointer to the D3D device?

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I will also need beta-testers if I go ahead.

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 18:58
What you are doing looks really interesting.

You can get a pointer to the D3D device by using "IDirect3DDevice9 dbGetDirect3DDevice ( void );"
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Sweet - that will be the last resort if I cannot simply integrate using the available features.

How does Dark SDK handle lost devices and the reset device condition - obviously I could make all textures and vertex buffers managed but that wouldn't be too efficient for the vertext buffers.

Buying a copy of Dark SDK now..

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay - just got my copy..

This shouldn't take long...

Any takers on Beta testers? Shiny?

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com