Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / upgrade from VS 6.0 to VS 7.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I changed my VS-Version from 6.0, which was running ok to 7.0(VC++ 2003) and get some problems.
I used the wizzard from Bouncy Brick(?) to start, but the application crashes without any compiler warnings ( I can´t move the window, nothing is displayed etc.).

the first two include paths:
C:\Programme\The Game Creators\Dark Game SDK - FREEWARE Edition\Include
C:\Programme\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (April 2005)\Include

the first two lib paths:
C:\Programme\The Game Creators\Dark Game SDK - FREEWARE Edition\Lib\VS7
C:\Programme\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (April 2005)\Lib\x86

I realized that there is no icon in the resourcelist, could this be the problem?

please help me, I don´t want to switch back to the old VS-Version.

Tom
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 19:12
Check your working directory in the project options -> debugging section. It may be the source is referencing some files and the working directory is set to the wrong place.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2005 19:21
Quote: "I used the wizzard from Bouncy Brick(?)"

Wasn't by me - I just gave some suggestions.

If your application uses media, it needs to be in the correct place - ie if your not specifying the full path, then it must be in with the executable.

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wasn't by me - I just gave some suggestions."

Nope it was mine

I presume you mean that the dsdk program you've written is crashing rather than the wizard window itself?

If so, it sounds as though you have your paths set up incorrectly. As mentioned above, if you are using media, then this can be the cause if the paths you have specified in the code do not exist.

Also, you say you have upgraded from vs6 to vs7. Did you use the dsdk on vs6? If so, when you changed to vs7 did you remember to reinstall the directx sdk as well (remember you must have overwritten the d3d libs etc with the ones in the extras pack to get the sdk working in vs6, and that change doesn't work with vs7).

Cheers,
Iain
tivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the fast responses,
and many thanx to scooby bloke for the wizard.

It is the simple window created by the wizard that crashes, no media files, no other source files. I will reinstall the directx sdk and see what happens.
What about the working directories, do I need to set some special things here, when I only use one main cpp file?

cheers
Tom
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 20:47
Can you show us the source code that is created by the wizard so we can see what's going on.
scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
It should just create a simple cpp file containing the following...

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 05:26
Try adding a call to dbSync in your while loop.
scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Could do. Although it doesn't hang / crash on my machine with or without the dbSync, so I doubt this is the cause of the problem that tivi is having...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 06:21 Edited at: 29th Jun 2005 07:03
But you said it did crash...

If you've got ADSL, it might be worth trying the remote connection system to try and solve the problem. E-Mail me to discuss a mutually beneficial time if you want to try it that way.

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't say it crashed, tivi did .

It all works fine for me with or without the dbSync. I run the code and I get the expected window pop up, and it goes when I press esc. Works fine in both release and debug modes.

Until tivi replies and confirms his generated cpp code looks the same as the expected (which I posted above) we can only speculate as to the cause. Eliminate one thing at a time
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 07:06
Ah okay - this is where remote connection could come in very handy

tivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

thank you very much for solving my problem. It was the dbSync() comand. Really stupid that I didn´t see that before opening this thread. Maybe someone could add this line to the wizard ( I don´t know how to do this ) so others don´t get this problem again.

Again thanx
Cheers
Tom

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:33:39
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:33:39