Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Viewer facing polys (billboards)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Is there a way of placing view facing polys into the world - so that I can implement my own particle effects?

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2005 20:41
You can use the following functions to get information about the camera and in doing so find out which direction the camera is facing so you can align your polygons -

D3DXVECTOR3 dbGetObjectCameraLook ( void );
D3DXVECTOR3 dbGetObjectCameraPosition ( void );
D3DXVECTOR3 dbGetObjectCameraUp ( void );
D3DXVECTOR3 dbGetObjectCameraRight ( void );
D3DXMATRIX dbGetObjectCameraMatrix ( void );
Xiotex Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay - that seems pretty standard (I usually derive that info directly from the view matrix..)

What about the actual creation of the polys themselves. Usually I create a vertex buffer manually and fill it with the info I need.

Sorry to bombard you with questions... but this is only my second day with this SDK

What I am looking to create is a world composed entirely of viewer facing polys so I am looking at the best way to do this under this SDK and still achieve a reasonable frame rate on most systems.

Xiotex Studios
www.xiotex.com
DarkGameSDK@xiotex.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 15:19:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 15:19:36