Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Suggestion for the DSDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 12:24
Add support for .max files made in 3D Max.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 14:07
Your kidding right?

No commertial 3D engine supports that file format. Why? Because it is FULL of superfelouse information. A max file is meant to contain everything related to 3D studio max, most of the data would be useless in a game. The format itself is also very difficult to support from a technical standpoint.... it was made to be opened in 3ds max and max allone, Thats why there are very few (if any) converters between max & maya for instance. There is always an intermediary model format used. .x is a far better file format.

What is it that you are tyring to do that you think support for the .max format is necesary?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 19:04
I dont believe the MAX format is used anymore either.

shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 19:32
I'm not sure what you mean by that, .max is the scene file format for the current version of 3d studio max, and has been for quite some time.

Was there at one pont another .max file format?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2005 21:37 Edited at: 29th Jun 2005 21:38
I thought they had stopped using it, and just used .3DS

But yes, there are many formats of .MAX (and very few program, with the possible exception of 3D Studios), will import them.

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 05:41
What´s wrong with using 3DS. I thought that was a 3D studio max format? At least it supports one 3DSMAX format.Us Maya users have to put up with a x exporter that adds a few thousand frames to our animations for no apparent reason.

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 05:56
.3ds is max's native model format. (As apposed to .max being max's native scene format). Only problem with .3ds is that it seems alittle unreliable in dark sdk... (especialy animation / bones). Luckily max (version 7+ at least) comes with a built in .x exporter, and pandasofts .x exporter is fairly great - Thank god for it. Maya got the short end of the stick when it comes to direct x format.

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 08:54
i dont know, dont be ass holes.
My modeler told me it saved as .max.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net
shiny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2005 10:04
Yeah. I'm sorry. I sometimes forget that once apon a time I didn't know what format .max was in either.

tell your modeler to export the model rather than save it, that way he has lots of options as to which format (well, two options if you want it to work in dark sdk ).

Peace.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:48:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:48:04