Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Affirmative action

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 21:32
Recently i read articles in newsweek and US Newsabout affirmative action and it got me thinking. According to US Newsif you are "not of asian or caucasion descent" you will recieve 20 extra points towards your admission. Also colleges are REQUIRED to give scholarships to a certain number of african americans a year. I am not a racist, but it seems pretty degrading to the other ethnicities that they are supposedly not "smart enough" to get accepted into a school themselves and have to have scholarships thrown at them. I know I would be insulted if i had to be "given" a scholarship just because I was a certain race or color, why aren't more people jumping on this issue? It seems so unfair and just plain stupid, since we are supposedly striving for equality. Isn't that what Martin Luther King JR. was talking about when he said "not to be judged by the color of our skin"?
Your thoughts please
equation for any multiplayer fps
the best weapon in the game = "noob cannon"
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 21:52
Maybe some of the colleges were being "select" in who they let in, do you have any other solutions to the problem of discrimination?

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 21:55
Well anyone smart enough can go to college or university - paying for it is the issue. In comparison, in Britain, most parents can't afford to send their kids to university, so we rely on government grants and huge bank overdraughts. Put this way, I could'nt afford to attend my last year at college, they expected me to survive for 1 year on about $2100, less than unemployement benefit. Basically students have to suffer to get into a decent career. I think it should be illegal to put any clause into a scholorship that limits applicants because of anything other than merit.

You should read Ice-T's book 'Ice Opinion', he's got a lot to say about this stuff. I mean, it costs more to keep someone in jail than it does to put them through college. Put into perspective, how many black Americans, in jail because of non-violent offences are dangerous criminals when they're released.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:08:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:08:05