Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Retro game released: JETPAC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 23:03
I have just uploaded the Banshee Studios retro programming competition entry and it's available for all to download. It's a remake of the ZX Spectrum classic Jetpac.

We decided not to keep the entry secret but to show you all what we've done because, well, we're show offs. Enjoy.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thane/banshee
Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
AnalSauceMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 00:18
When I try to run it, it says it's not a valid win32 application.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 00:39
This very much sounds like your download corrupted, I did test the link and executed it myself before I announced the release but I just retried after reading your post and found the same problem...

Could be an issue with my ISP *boggle* - anyway I re-uploaded the file to be sure and have tested it again.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 00:45
i can't download any of the software from your site, reaches like 3-400kb and claims its finished.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 00:55
The server is UK based, are you calling from the states?

I've checked again and it's fine, and I believe the server supports resuming so perhaps a download tool would be beneficial but please consider I do have limited bandwidth allocation and the game has just been released on several boards.

It is entirely possible that the download is cutting out because of too many people downloading at once. I have already gone over 100mb transferred since the game went live a few hours ago.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 01:07
Jetpac from the spectrum? Ive got that on the pc (i use emulators). It must be great to remake it!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 01:43
Hehe ! Looks like there will be two JETPAC entries then.

You must have had yours made already, cos you couldn't have made it in just a few days ?

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 02:22
ok, this is exactly what happened.

- i downloaded the game fine.
- i unzipped the game fine.
- the game ran automatically (fine).
- after showing the intro splash screen (just thought i should add those where some cool retro fx )
- if then started playing some music, the music then goes into a loop and an error message prompts to the screen!

any suggestions?

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 03:01
I downloaded and it works fine.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 08:57
Could you tell me what the error message is hexgear?

Pneumatic

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 09:22
Sorry to say Simple, but yes it was written in just a few days, a rough break down looks like:

1 day programming the main game
1/2 day programming the menu's, hi score chart etc.
6 hours, 1 migraine and 18 coffee's programming the retro loading effect and splash screens - grRRRrrrr

I'm a fast typer

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 11:14
Yes we did write it in two days (very long ones) but thanks must go to my girl friend Brigitte who kept us well supplied with coffee.

Dark Basic Pro drove me to drink, I really should E-mail them to say thanks.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 11:15
PneumaticDryll ........ would you like some water ? to put the fire out on your finger tips !!

How long did you spend on the graphical side of it ?? and the music... i.e. models/sprites etc. Did you do all that in a day and a half too ??

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 11:37
Simple - the music comes from the media folder included with DB, so do lots of the graphics I see no reason at all why they couldn't do this in 6 days.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 11:45
I've put the game on our file server incase their original link fails for you (it did for me too the first 2 attempts).

http://www.getafile.com/cgi-bin/merlot/get/DARKBASIC/retrocompo/01_jetpacRetro.exe

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 13:53
rich ... it would have probably took me 6 months !! which is why I don't code.

I didn't know the media was from the DB disk, which is why I thought it impossible to make in just a few days.

Still... nice work PneumaticDryll, and if they had Kudo's on here >> I'd give you one for making it so quick. It plays quite well too.

Simple

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 14:16
(^_^) cool a working link...
Ironically, it finally downloaded - i still don't understand why it was causing such a fuss, but after about the 11th attempt i got it. Was suddenly able to download the other stuff from there too

i used to get this alot about a month ago cause of Norton, but right now i have no firewall cept .Net standard - so maybe thats why.
Quite believeable this game was developed in a few short days - i mean the major part of this would be the physics for the JetPac guy and the collision. The rest is just really graphics ... with a small gaming arena.

Like to see this expanded on, great start (^_^)
would like to see the Music/Sound scrollers limited better because you can't exactly go just 1 up or 1 down

the original loading screen is cool, reminds me of the CPC64 - i'd draw the Splash pixel-by-pixel though rather than in blocks, perhaps have it slightly pixelated pixture which then fades to the softer version.

spend a little more time looking into the collision, as there are a few niggles with the platforms & the erm enemy ball thingies ... i mean when they come from above they hit them but from below its a 50-50 chance they might go through. I'd add a bigger effect to the jetpack perhaps use the enemy explosion as the texture for them would look quite nice

and there are a few fonts which you could use like "System" which would give a nice retro feel for a highscore
Perhaps an option screen to setup the button configuration (or even use Joysticks/Joypads if available) have a quit feature on the main menu then (^_^)

also just wondering but the idea is to make the Rocketship right? but i'm not sure howto use the peices as sometime you collide and can move about on them - other times they just sit there.

its pretty good though, and had me playing for a lil while even though i don't like these kinda games.

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 15:15
Raven:

The loading screen is supposed to emulate the spectrum and that was how it loaded.As far as we can tell the alien thingies don`t travel through the platforms or they shouldn`t do but we will look into it as for the jetpac there were arguments over it and Andy won, he didn`t want to block up more of the screen unnesseserily. I think we will have a look at putting in joystick and key configs in, Myself and Andy have already discussed it.

Yes your`e right you have to build a rocket ship by flying just above each part to pick them up, It is a little sensative and will be changed shortly,then fly along horizontaly and you will drop them automatically.

Hope you are enjoying it as much as my girlfriend Brig hated me spending my time on it.(My ears are still ringing)

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 15:26
arghhhh! everything plays fine them when the intro song starts playing, it then hooks for a while (Like it's in a temprary loop) and an error msg prompts saying "jetpac.exe has encountered a problem and has to shut down"! i've got win XP by the way!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 15:39
hehee... yeah i never used the spectrum we had, only got the CPC464, Commodore64 and Acron Electron

the loading reminds me alot of the CPC464 especially the squeals (and almost as long to load the same size of game ) - just on the CPC464 it never did entire blocks it loaded each pixel individually kinda building the picture ... i think that would be awesome if it was say pixels about 3/4x the original size, it loads as if loading each of them ... then it just fades into the standard jpg looking BG.

i mean its just something frivilous but think it'll add a nice effect

hex, make sure you have Service Pack1 ... you don't know how many people get problems with applications under XP and don't have SP1 - XP was as good as useless out of the box

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 17:22
The spectrum always loaded the screens in 1 pixel at a time, or more realistically, 1 scanline at a time - it would be sorta offset, so it would draw every 8 lines, starting on a different scanline each time, until it drew the whole image. After it loads the screen in, it then loads the cursor colours, which adds the colours to the screen, some speccy games (jetpac included) would'nt display the loading screen until it was adding the cursor colours.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 19:01
yeah got that alot on the CPC games too... usually pixel-by-pixel, sometimes every other scan line.

the olden day version of intro sequences whilst the data loads
i like liked Elite's the best though, because i'd show a planet which turned slowly - and run through the hex position of the data at the bottom.
Then it'd flick and draw the common front screen of the Eagle Mk3 spinning within a blank HUD with the logo at the top

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 19:55
6 days!? LOL Rich - God no! In 6 days I could write one of those RPG MMORG's being talked about in the team building section, but sadly my attention span isn't long enough Ok I exagerate slightly but 2 days is the correct answer...

Sorry Hexgear, the error you have is nothing to do with Jetpac. Perhaps all sprite based DBPro games are going to fail on you? - i've no idea sorry.

Raven, I saw a CPC once - a customer brought one in as a novelty to show us before throwing it away and replaceing it with a 386... Those where the days. We based our version of Jetpac on the Spectrum - and our loading screen is about as close to the Spectrum as your going to get in 640x480 resolution...

Nick, I did adjust the sensitivity of the spaceship pickup before launch and made a big fuss of how to do it in the readme file AND the text scroller. Oh wait, nobody reads those do they - shocks that was a bad idea!...

For music and sound in this project we mostly used DB1 media. The graphics are renders of models that where either free downloads or stuff we'd done ages ago - so we had very few new graphics to make.

The explosions where rendered in a Studio Max gizmo thing that Nick might be able to explain better. The aliens and platforms where drawn by hand in Paintshop Pro and took about 20 minutes, and then another 30 when I redrew them.

Whilst we did have to make new media, most of it was a case of pooling resources to create a game with the minimal of fuss.

I don't know if you've noticed this with your own programs, but the projects you finish are the small ones, and the projects where you learn and make your database of unused resources (ready for a nice small project) are the big ones...

As this was for a competition with a deadline, we where very clear about keaping the game simple because we wanted to finish it, so we purposely used existing media and took every other shortcut we could to ensure that the game was finished, as apposed to another long forgotten projects directory.

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 20:37
Van-B:
sorry prehaps your`e right on the spectrum loading, But my spectrum died a few years ago now and was last seen propping a door open when my ZX81 cracked and the door swung over it, So most of the game was done purely from memory. Since my spectrum days myself and pneumatic have discovered Beer and our memories aren`t what they were.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 20:58
well... you still have 6weeks left - so perhaps a little more time can go into it eh
but i understand the point, i mean usually i use place markers whilst i think of howto go about developing the media.

and i think the Max plugin your thinking of is Combustion or Flame - both are cool for explosions.

right now i've got 2 projects gonig for the competition
1) is a simple remake, which i've been putting up news when i have time to actually get more done on my site ... right now only the main models are done cause i've had 7hours total to myself, but bloody 6 of those were spent battling with ChilliSkinner as for some reason it hates my current mesh - just when i thought i'd won, poof! its unhappy again
musta crashed max about 30x in those 6hourss

2) is my secwet pwoject well its not really secret but i'd prefer not to mention incase i don't finish.

my first is actually based on an old game where you have to save babies from a burning building - i had it on the CPC and also one of those ditty handheld things which only had that one game. I loved it
but i guess next time i'm free to actually program it will be at the weekend most likely - cause i have KGs stuff (which is almost done now thank god), Rose's stuff which i've only just coded the main battle room and the dragon in still WIP ... plus people kinda want a working QooleXP now lol so a good few things to go first.

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 19:52
Raven:
I have heard of chilliskinner, Is it a free download and where can I get it from as I hate the way Max does it, Its far to complicated for my little brain.

DaZCWA
Years of Service
User Offline
Great game there mate... Never played the original myself, I got myself a tv gamepad not to long ago which is a gamepad you jus plug into your tv and you can play like 50 diffrent retro games and this was one, really addictive, I jus held the fire button on for ages lol.

Best bit: Opening screen - however i forgot I had my speakers all the way up after listning to music, I played the game at like 2AM and it scared the bajesus out of me lol.

Worst bit: There isnt a worse bit but if I had to say nething a warning that the title is going to have a loud sound at the begining lol

"There is only 2 ways off this island: The first is in little pieces and the seconds with me" - (Hunter/DaZ)
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 20:28
Same thing happened to me, I downloaded it late last night and had the volume a bit too high also.

Great game, very playable and quite challenging. I liked it when the 3d ship flew from the foreground into the background, nice touch.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 21:55
Yeah, very cool.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:17
Sorry.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 00:53
lmao... don't worry guys doubt it spooked ya as much as it did my kitty - poor lil guy doesn't wanna come back in my room

ChilliSkinner
its completely free, just an MaxScript - was pretty cool until it got all bitchy on me. But everything has been falling apart on my system, 3months is the longest i've ever had anything installed for i've not reformatted since i put XP on here again

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 09:15
Um Nick - why not ask your brother who already has it!.......

Pneumatic

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 21:27
LMFAO... thats classic

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 23:13
Alright, No-one likes a snart a*se

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 00:42
it's spelt 'smart'.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 00:52
i'm going to guess Pne is the elder bro here

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 18:27
Actually i'm 6 years his junior, there is infact another sibling in between.

Now it's common knowledge that the second child is more inteligent because it gets to learn things when the first child does - I have that in duplicate.

I also have a younger and fitter body, I was always the most attractive one and look incredibly young for my age anyway.

Nick is old and wrinkly and stupid.

Pneumatic

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 19:04
lmao... you're lucki you're not my younger bro - you'd have a blackeye next time i saw you

ya know its so bad when you have younger brothers... they always go running off to mommy instead of fighting back - kinda weird actually, growing up it was my sis who used to try to beat me up ... only one that'd hit me
probably cause she's the only one that can get away with it hehee

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 21:29
I also have superior muscle tone - Nick striking me is not an option for him *snicker*

Pneumatic

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 16:05
lmao ... and thats exactly what my lil brother thought too because he's taller, more muscular and knows he can benchpress my weight
can still make him cry like a baby without trying

should always be some kinda respect for elder siblings thou ya know - its just right for there not to be

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 16:40
heh i'm the second born of my family too! yeah you could say i'm smarter than my elder bro (education) but maybe not streetwise i wouldn't dare try him though, in terms of muscle i guess he takes the lions share

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 20:09
Now that the argument between me and my brother is finally over.

Nick. 1 Black eye,nose bleed and loss of hearing
Andy. 1 Black eye,Bruised ribs and loss of hair

we have now decided to produce another entry to the competition in guise of Hyperbowl. It`s nearly finished and we shall post some pics at the weekend. If youv`e never heard of the game before it was released on the spectrum around 1986 by Mastertronic. The game involves flying around in a space ship trying to shoot a ball into a goal.

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 20:10
This one has taken around 5 days !

a long project for us two.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 20:19
failed to load dll: dppro input....

...something. I keep getting this. Do i need dbpro to run it?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 18:26
Ed, try downloading DirectX8.1 from http://http://www.microsoft.com/downloads, that's about only thing I can think of.

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 18:45
There are going to be some wicked FX in this one.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 19:42
Thanks it works now- except i can`t get past the title screen !

NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 00:13
Use the mouse - click "1 Player"

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 02:40
hey i quite like that. Well done. I think the mechanics feels a bit `syrupy`- i`d rather more gravity and more thrust- ie speed it up. Also using mouse in menus for a retro game seems odd. I`d rather a cursor key menu (as near to a joystick as possible).

The 3d backgrounds are cool BTW. Seems odd when the spaceship flys behind the earth though- must be helluva big!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 03:54
Yes, spaceships in the retro future are massive. Some are almost as big as my ego.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:56:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:56:42