Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / dark game sdk & Bloodshed dev c++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am thinking about buying dark game sdk and am wondering how much longer it will be until it is compatible with dev c++.

Also what does the .NET in Visual Studio .NET mean.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2005 14:27
From what I understand, support for Dev C++ hasnt been started, and wont be here for a while.

.NET is a new framework Microsoft is making for windows. They will be eventually moving totally over to .NET in the future, so it may be a good idea to start learning now.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, can you still do every thing you can do in c++ in Visual Studio .NET.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 02:32
Yes, VC++ 2003 .NET can create both .NET and Win32 applications.

Formerly The Fixxer
http://www.xiemsoft.cjb.net
Proteus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 11:36
Quote: ", and wont be here for a while"

ummm... I wonder if by that they mean "NEVER" or "Within the next millennium"...

Love is like Pi - Natural, Irrational, and very important
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 10:05
I think there is a slight confusion here.

Dev-C++ is not a C++ compiler, it is purely an editor. What matters is that DarkSDK doesn't support the gcc compiler which is what Dev-C++ uses by default.

As far as I understand, Microsoft's C++ compiler and gcc have different library formats (the .lib files which comprise the DarkSDK), so everything would have to be recompiled in order to work with GCC.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2005 17:24
We have been able to recompile most of the library files for GCC but the problem is a lot of our code for the Basic3D library does not seem to be compatible. Upon compiling many errors are presented and it's going to take a while to sift through all of these and get everything working right without screwing up current functionality. This is probably because some of our code is specific to VC++ and as a result we need to make changes for the likes of GCC. For now this has been put to one side primarily because there are more important things to sort out like improvements to the core and other updates.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2005 18:02
isnt the vc6 compiler now availiable for free download without an ide though?

I wonder, could devcpp be setup to use it instead of gcc?

Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 12:49
Hmmm, I'd rather wait for the SDK to be made compatible with standard C++ than have a workaround which uses M$ proprietary code with other IDEs. In the long run it would benefit the SDK (a big marketing plus) and all of us as well.

T.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 13:55
Quote: "In the long run it would benefit the SDK (a big marketing plus) and all of us as well"

Doubtful as you get the hassle of finding alternative DirectX SDK's

Quote: "Hmmm, I'd rather wait for the SDK to be made compatible with standard C++ than have a workaround which uses M$ proprietary code with other IDEs"

Very cliché - You can certainly use "standard" code with Visual Studio - and thus with any other editor. What code it accepts is based on various options. Oh, and its MS and not M$...
You'll probably have a very long wait...

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2005 23:30
Quote: "Very cliché - You can certainly use "standard" code with Visual Studio "

Cliches get that way because they are useful for describing common, recurring, everyday situations. As this is. (BTW I meant the SDK using "standard" code, not us).

Quote: "Oh, and its MS and not M$"

No, it's M$ in my book and always will be.

Quote: "You'll probably have a very long wait"

Oh I know, I don't expect it ever to happen. It's just as you made your POV known I thought I'd balance it with another one. I could imagine the lads thinking "Oh there's a slightly cheaper option to a lot of hard work, let's look into it." IMHO it's a pointless waste of time, so thought I'd air the view, that's all.

T.
Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 04:20
MS is a female, like Miss or Mrs.
M$ is a "for profit" software company.

Willy
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2005 10:53
Microsoft dont have a dollar sign in their name - hence the reason why M$ is incorrect (and so very 1990's).

Oh, and its actually Ms, where the female doesn't want to state whether she's married or not.

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
You're not a unix programmer are you Troll Fiddler?

I see no problem with using a Microsoft oriented compiler for all this. The code will only run on microsoft platforms, using the microsoft directx sdk, so what's the problem with requiring you to use a microsoft compiler? It's not even as if they are that expensive, and they have a very good ide.

The only reason I can see for wanting everything to be GCC compliant is if you were going to go cross platform with your code. Seeing as you'd need to use opengl to do that, it doesn't really apply to this sdk.

p.s. I agree with bouncy. The M$ is soooo 1990's.
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2005 14:03 Edited at: 20th Aug 2005 14:03
Well that was a sensible reply to my post scooby bloke. You made me think about it differently, my thanks to you. Always willing to learn from sensible people (as opposed to "I've always got to have the last word" people).

1990s, cliche, who cares? Only those very sad, immature people concerned with their own image. I personally don't give a rats arse what people think of me. Bring it on.

T.
CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 10:09
Hello. I hope it's OK to post this query here.

I have recently started using the Dev C++ editor as I am getting back into computer programming and need to brush up on my C++ coding. I also downloaded it with the Dark SDK in mind.

Currently, DevC++ is installed with the MinGW compiler but I know I can install the Free MS C++ compiler by installing the MS C++ Toolkit and Platform SDK. Haven't done it yet as the MS Platform SDK is a bit heavy on download time.

I am currently running DBPro5.8 which is a wicked tool as far as getting ideas down quickly and test-running my ideas. I am very impressed by what it does.

What I am looking at doing is using DBPro for tesing designs and then using C++ and DarkSDK to implement the designs into the code for my apps. Not because DBPro is bad or anything ..... it isn't, I just prefer the way C++ works and organises things.

What I would like to know is if I install the MS C++ compiler as the default Dev C++ compiler, then is what I have essentially MS VS C++ standard edition but with a different IDE? And would that then be compatible with DarkSDK?

Just wondering as I am looking into buying DarkSDK but I don't know whether I need to buy MS C++ also.

btw, I can't get the MS C++ Beta 2 to install, I avoided the .NET framework for a while but it managed to sneak on my PC via an update and now I get stupid problems with MS updates and installations. I'm sorting that out as I type, so to speak.

Besides that though, Dev C++ is a pretty good editor

Thanks for any tips or advice, offered.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 10:52 Edited at: 13th Sep 2005 10:54
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work out - there is quite a bit missing in the Platform SDK that DarkSDK needs (and is only availiable in the VS). This means, at the moment, Visual Studio is essential.

I've tried it with Code::blocks and because of the missing bits (mainly DX8 libraries - downloading it wont work) and various other things, it totally fails.

CodemanV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 13:47
Ah well, never mind, worth a thought I suppose. Thanks for putting me straight on that.

I got that Beta to install finally - those XP Services are a pain in the butt sometimes. Something disabled my installer which was stopping the installation.

I'll stick with DBPro for a bit until I get my head around this new MS version of C++ - I can look at upgrading when I have bought C++ Standard

Thanks again Bouncy Brick, I'm off to watch a world record challenge in the Slowest Download Ever category
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 14:04
cant dev c++ users use an old borland compiler? i heard they are free.

(trooper) "we came here to put you out of your misery"
(joseph) "misery? what misery, i love killing people, i love squishing them until their guts come out like chunky mustard!
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 15:45
Yes but DGSDK is only compatible with microsoft´s compiler.

My signature has been erased by me because it's LARGE.
Thank you for the votez!1!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:18:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:18:59