Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 20:39
ok, got a couple of questions for this, here's the scenario, i've got space on the school server where i want to put all my games to be downloaded from my geocities web-site (since they only give 15MB space), we each have a username and password to connect to the school ftp site so i want to make a program that allows people easily download my games from my ftp space instead of relying on crappy geocities, the predicament is:

- how easy is it for someone to reverse engineer a dark basic .exe file to obtain my username and password? (although theres nothing important in my file space, someone could still like put a virus on!)

- what other way could someone possibly obtain my username and password?
your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 21:04
I don't think it'll be easy.

For maximum security do some fancy doodah encryption, such as storing each char in a separate array "cell" in their ASCII (numerical) form and then saving that array.

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 23:18
That would work Plus, Im not sure how many peeps would wanna hack ya

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
freak
Years of Service
User Offline
you might try to make a new account, make your DB program and then announce on some hackers forum that they can try to hack it... and you can ask how they did it to improve your security

I think it might be rather easy to hack it, when they have some program running that captures everything that's sent to the net... when they find out you geocities web space adress it will be very easy to hack

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:43
nice one, i'll keep that in mind. The server's for my univeristy, we all have a username and password and free space on the schools network, which we can access through the internet (FTP) so i want to keep the game on there and connect to it through a dark basic program (keeping my username and password secure), an example, check my post @ RGT and follow the instructions (if u have the time) and give me some feedback:

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 01:44
sorry, it's here:

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=12922

freak
Years of Service
User Offline
I just tested it on an old pc of me and it doesn't work: I don't have a 3d graphics accelerator. And because you probaly don't use any 3d in your program I think DB is'nt the right language to make something like this in it.
I wonder if this problem is fixed in DBPro, if you don't need a 3d video card for programs that don't use any 3d...

freak
Years of Service
User Offline
anyway, when a user has no 3d, it should be handy to have some software renderer

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2003 17:03
cool, thanks a lot for trying ^_^ i'll probably check into visual basic for making stuff like this! any body has any ideas how i could get visual basic to perfor these functions:

ftp connect $path,$username,$password
ftp set dir $directory
ftp get file $filename
ftp disconnect

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 20:12:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 20:12:28