Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / DBP can only LoadCDmusic from first alphabetical drive

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2005 16:30 Edited at: 25th Mar 2007 21:05
Not really a bug, but more of an annoyance;

LoadCDmusic refuses to play music from anything other than the first alphabetical drive after C [D

I'm not sure if its possible to work-around this issue, but it certainly is an annoying one. I have a second hard drive currently connected as D: - so putting my music CD into drive E: obviously doesn't work.

So, when making a CD-Player app (or possibly a game that plays music from a dual data/music CD) this command is practically useless.

Anyone have any ideas? Would it possible to make LoadCDmusic to search for the first appropriate drive with a music CD in?

"History shall be kind to me, for I intend to write it" - Winston Churchill

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2005 02:46
I get the same thing.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 17:21
I have a second and third hard drive. I get the same thing as this too

<a href>http://www.dbdomain.websiteallies.com/<\a>
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2005 18:18
Well there's quite obviously a problem (and its not just with me) so is there any idea of what can be done about it? WIll the bug finally get a [confirmed] tag after 13 days of waiting?

Quote: ""Don't tell him your name Pike!"
"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 09:17
If I can be bothered to select the confirmed line, then yes it will.

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 18:48
My CD drive is F. I tested this and not come across any problems. All I used was "load cdmusic 1, 1", "play music 1". Not sure why it isn't working for you. What operating system are you using and do you have multiple CD drives installed?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 21:40
I only get the problem on my machines with 2 cd drives. It will only play from the first alph ordered cd drive. My drives are e: and f: and they will only play from e: .

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 22:10
Okay not such an important issue at the moment. Rejected for now and we may revisit at some point in the future.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 22:16
Cool. I hope they don't delete all of the rejected threads after the next bug week like last time though.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 22:19
Probably will delete all rejected threads but when I do this I keep a note so I won't forget things like this
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 17:20
Seeing as though this new bug week has started, it would be nice to have this issue fixed now. I haven't been able to use this command in any way at all (because I have multiple CD drives and it does not work)

Any likelihood it will be fixed any time soon?

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 18:57
Yea it's real annoying when you have 2 drives

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 13:54
Yes. However, since its got a rejected tag, I assume nobody is taking a look at it. Please look inside this thread! The fault is valid, and seriously needs fixing for u6.0!

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 18:13
I thought I'd just throw a spanner in the works, and bring this up again.

This is a valid bug, which needs fixing, as Mike mentioned.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 13:01
Not a bug, but a behaviour of the ancient MCI technology on which the commands are based. Using this interface, there is no way to specify which CD drive the MCI interface selects as your CD Music device, unless you have configured it so within the operating system in a way that MCI understands. The feature to go beyond this behaviour would be a feature request, and not a U6 task.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 14:41
you could add a drive letter to the mci command string though, like:
"open d:\ type cdaudio alias MyCD"
which would try to open drive d: for cd music.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 14:44 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 14:58
Trouble is, you would then need to find all drives on a system, and work out which are CD players

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 14:53 Edited at: 31st Mar 2006 15:00
Yep, that's the problem.
Although perhaps to add an optional parameter for the drive name wouldn't be too much trouble. The user could always wrap GetDriveType to check whether it's a CD drive or not, if necessary.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 14:59
You could it on initialisation, and hope that nothing changes whilst the program runs

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 15:02
...or I could add this functionality to the X-plugin.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 15:08
Yes. Yes, you could...

But would you ?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 15:13
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 16:12
I do you guys a deal, you cut and paste the C code I need to detect the correct CD drive, AND issue the correct option via the MCI string, and I will add it to U6

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 19:48
Well rather than enumerate the installed drives and check a) if they're cd drives, and b) if they contain audio cds (which wouldn't be known until you actually call the play command, AFAIK), just add an additional parameter to Load CDMusic that specifies a drive like
Load CDMusic [Drive Name,] Track Number,Music Number

if the drive isn't a cd the mciSendString function will return a value != 0.

the mci string would look like this
"open <drive> type cdaudio alias MyCD"

where <drive> takes the form <DriveLetter>":\"
eg.
"g:\" or "e:\"

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 20:59
You would still need the list of drives though...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 21:15
There in lies the root of Lees nightmares..and why it starts to ring of a feature as the volume of code increases to implement it.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 21:27
Ideally the "perform checklist for drives" command would not only list the names but the type of the drive as well (as returned from the API function GetDriveType). That way the programmer can previously check if it makes sense to pass a certain drive letter. But that would be a feature request indeed.

re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 21:41
you could copy the music from the cd to a temp drive no?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 21:54
And which is the CD drive?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 22:01
What about changing the command to let us specify the index for the cdrom to use, gathered from a cdrom checklist()

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 04:12
Speaking of cd drives i belive there is a bug with the following

returns 2 for the cdcount which is correct but returns both first and second as e:\ instead of d:\ which is my first cd drive.

Your signature has been erased by a mod -- please resize to under 600x120...
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 23:09 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 23:11
This problem definitely needs repairing now.

Since reporting this issue, I have effectively 'dumped' DBP, because obviously the command is useless in its current state. I have migrated to C++, and have implemented such methods in my own way.

I suggest this problem is fixed soon; because anyone wanting to code an application like a CD player, or some other such app, which needs this feature (e.g. me) will be put off, and find their own way around (migrating to another language for instance) instead of waiting for a now very old bug to be repaired.

Sorry for the bump, but this bug really really does need fixing now. (Its no help to me, but I'm sure it wasn't only me it annoyed)

EDIT: I also apologise if this issue has been fixed and this thread hasn't been marked as fixed. I haven't use recent versions of DBP so I do not know

the1observant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2014 01:50
Sooo, 8 years later there's this guy who finally shows up to share his experience on the matter. Didn't have anything else better to do today, so here it goes...

1. You may have to use DB version 1.13. I can't get 1.14 to do it.
2. Assigned optical drive letter has to be the first available letter immediately following the last HDD letter. In other words, if Drives A and B are not used (typical of missing floppy drives these days), and you have HDD/partition letters of C,D,E, and F - Then the CD-Rom drive has to be letter G. For some strange reason you can't have any assignment gaps following the HDD's. After making the changes, it's best to reboot before making an attempt.
3. It only works while being ran directly from the editor. Running from an executable almost always results in a crash.
4. You may still get a load error on the first run. If so, hit F12 and F5 again.

Finally it works!

LOAD CDMUSIC (track#),1
PLAY MUSIC 1

Other than this glitch, DarkBasic is still fun to play with. Runs on Windows 7 too.

Random Tune Observatory

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:33:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:33:24