Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Has Anyone......?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 16:41 Edited at: 31st Aug 2005 16:42
Has anyone created an entire level in another application and exported it as an x file and brought it into the editor as one big segment or entity? Since segments are simply x files and currently levels are constructed out of a series of x files, theoretically it seems possible.

Lon
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2005 22:12
Yea. I used Geoscape to make terain, and then exported it as a .x file. Stupid trial verson.

What ever it was, I DID NOT do it!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 22:12 Edited at: 1st Sep 2005 22:17
Yes it is possible. You could theoretically make a whole city and get it into FPSC. Probably though in such instance it would be better to use FPSC for what its good at and say use it to make any roads you want to walk on and buildings you want to walk into and use a model created elswhere if you find it better or easier for the other parts. e.g. terrain, buildings around the level perimiter and possibly other detail too. Small details such as trees, cars etc are probably best made and loaded as single objects if for no other reason than that you can apply individual scripts to them.

By making your modelled parts to fit to the FPSC scale you could load that and get them to fit seamlessly to create a whole level.

I personally use HMPSplit for terrain - it can save out a massive one piece terrain with large texture including high quality detail bump mapping which is nice to have on your landscape.

Using any large entity in FPSC - say the whole 40 x 40 tile area - I would suggest that yes you can test placement out, but not permanently placing it as when developing your level it can be a bit of a nuisance as it tends to get in the way of you seeing what you are doing. A 40 x 40 tile size one piece entity placed in FPSC would have to be actually placed in the exact centre tile of FPSC as it sees any entity as belonging to single specific tile location - i.e. to pick it up again its red or green indicator is always located in the tile you first click placed it too if you undersatnd my meaning. Such an object if not located in the centre tile could cause a problem if FPSC saw it as extended outside of the allowed 40 x 40 tile area - which is in engine terms - would be illegal. Always make or scale such an object slightly smaller than the 40 x 40 tiles for this reason keeping a little border all around.

Once you complete any sections of your level in FPSC - then you can permanently place any large scale entity if its a full level size that is. Smaller ones could be placed permanently any time. Its a matter of trial and error with the full level size entity which works best - if you can place it and still work in editor OK then fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:40:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:40:48