Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Fix Object Pivot...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Simple code to illustrate the problem. Set object to object orientation (and likely other set object/camera orientation commands) seem to ignore fix object pivot properties. After object 2 is created, it is rotated 45 degrees on X, then fix object pivot is used to lock it in that orientation for future rotations/orientations. But when set object to object orientation is called, it still remains in it's old format. Object 2 should be a full 90 degrees face down after this code runs, not 45 degrees. Run the same code in DB classic to see how it is supposed to look.

I have included an image to show the difference between how it should look and how it looks in Pro.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 21:02 Edited at: 1st Sep 2005 21:05
I have already reported this in the past and they rejected it.

[edit] Though the bug report is missing They said that's how it is supposed to work, though that makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
I would be surprised if they rejected this, this is a fundamental rotation flaw that is obviously a bug.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 21:20
I reported another bug with fix object pivot. There could be some sort of link...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=55805&b=15

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2005 21:36
This was indeed reported and rejected I assure you. I did not create the bug report but I had someone I was helping to report it as they found it and didn't know it. They said set object to object orientation uses the objects data as loaded by design and does not take into account fix object pivot.

I wish they didn't delete all of the rejected threads from pre-5.8

Xolatron old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2005 01:45
Now all rejected bug reports have been deleted... quite annoying. I don't really trust this bug report thread anymore. It would still be useful to see rejected bugs because they often show how to fix the so called 'bug'. Without these old reports, t=similar problems may be reported again. And what if the bug was rejected but it shouldn't have been?

-Xol

DBpro IonRay IDE: Demo 0.1.0.0 available!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 17:40
Object pivot is not included with the orientation data in this instance. If you want to do this then make a mesh from your object, delete the original object and make a new object from the mesh. You will then get the new object aligned to the orientation.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:20 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2005 00:49
That is a step that should not be necessary, will delay load time when many objects need to be created and aligned, and is NOT possible (due to ANOTHER flaw in the language). When combined with the flaw that prevents you from creating a new mesh after a screen resolution change, it becomes impossible to do. If this is how such flaws are going to be treated by you, then StarWraith 3D Games will no longer plan on using DBPro for any future projects. Flaws like this take away functionality (when you can't even edit the object itself without performing an additional, unnecessary, operation that doesn't even work due to another flaw) and prevent the programmer from doing even the most basic operations on objects. You will also need to add disclaimers to your help documentation to explain why these commands fail to work as described under such conditions.

Your response is truly disappointing.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 00:44
We changed this for 5.6 as we got a few complaints How about this - by default we retain the pivot and we add an extra flag to ignore the pivot when set object to object orientation is used. So your original code will work as expected and then anyone else who favours the other method can add an exra 1 to their command call?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
So long as the same will be true for the other associated set camera/object to camera/object orientation commands, that would be an effective solution, yes.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 01:02
Okay everything is sorted for 5.9.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2005 01:49
Awesome. Glad this is fixed Looks like 5.9 is going to be great.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:01:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:01:27