Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Lightwave Support?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any Lightwave 3D support at all with DBP, or do they think the program is inferior to the language? I think this question has been answered, but is there anyway to convert a Cel Shaded model from Lightwave to a game engine?
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2003 07:03
There is no set in stone support. DBP doesn't load any LW object file types, or anthing of the sort really...tis a shame. However LW is very doable when it comes to DBP:

1. There was an earlier thread about a LWScence to DBP converter that showed alot of promise. Check throught the Beta Announcements Page and look for the thread.

2. D-Srorm(I think?) Made an execllent LW ot X converter that converts UV's, Whole Messesing and prebaked animations.

3. Considering the fact that LW Modeller...just plain kicks ploy ass, you could easily use it to make any models you might need then convert them to .X and animate them in another program.

4. Besides that you can Bake your UV's in LW...! That helps That might take care of the Cel Shaded Model thingy... Create an Atlas UV for your cel shaded model then when in Layout use surface baker to 'bake' the whole mesh surface(Radiosity, lighting, Cel shaded..whatever) onto the UV map. Then convert it to X. I think that might do the trick...I don't really know...I'm not a cel shade kinda guy.

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
Sycleoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks man, Lightwave Really Kicks Arse when it comes to modeling. I think NewTek should really get into gaming soon, instead of just the movie, TV stuff. But sure, I will try your method out to see if it works. It doesn't sound too difficult and sounds like it should work. Thanks for your help and I will go hunting for this converter.

Thanks,
Brad

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
its dstorm

www.dstorm.co.jp

your after the directx exporter. just look back through the 3d chat. I explained how to use it before.

Also check out my scene exporter.

http://http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=2906&b=5

You convert your models into .x them use the .lwo files and place them in a scene .lws. run my routine and it stores the whole scene lights and all. Then use the code provided to load the level into darkbasic or darkbasicpro.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh im about to update the exporter. I used it for my Mr purps entry. All the levels were made in lightwave layout. At the mo its hard coded it so if the name of the .x containes the word block, you couldnt walk through it. Exit from the level starts with name trigger, and enemys are called "evil". Its a bit hard to understand but ill do a really good doc for it next week. And a small demo game to follow through.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:39:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:39:05