Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / difuse + normal maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How are TGC creating these maps, i have tried creating them in texture maker but they are not displaying correct after creating a segment using them and alliying the entity bump fx file. Can anyone enlighten me with correct way of creating these maps.
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 13:27
I use a programme called GIMP its a free download.It already has the ability to make bumpmaps(which I use for the diffuse map).A plugin is available to make normal maps.I have had no problems with this programme making the required maps.Look at a segment I made.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 15:59
Hmmm.. Looks like a Mac screenshot!

Dont trust anyone...
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 16:14 Edited at: 18th Sep 2005 16:15
Sorry!What do you mean?Done on a computer running good old Windows XP.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 14:26
Maybe I have a older version???

Mr Love

Dont trust anyone...
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 15:04
but HOW are bumpmaps made ? You have to save several textures of the same wall , right ? and the engine needs to know which textures , or not ?

yeah...thats the ticket !
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 15:04 Edited at: 24th Sep 2005 15:06
no, it's a skin. You never heard of Windows Blinds?

Mr Flowerkohl: Bumpmaps are made with several color arrangments in Photoshop or in any Paint Program (excluding paint...) or with a program that made it automaticly from the texture.

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 18:32
yes but how do you have to save them ?
a little tutorial would be very nice.

yeah...thats the ticket !
westray
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 18:41
As I said previously I use Gimp and it allows you to make a bumpmap from your image.Save it as "yourfilename"_d.tga.Get the plugin for Gimp that allows you to make normal maps from your image and save it as "yourfilename"_n.tga.When you use the segment editor to make your segments highlight a wall ,go to change effect,and select bumpent.Save your segment and the segment will then show up with the shader effect.Do this for the rest of the walls and the floor.This is all made clear in the video tutorials.
Mav
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 11:57
I use texture maker, you just open the texture you want to use on the wall/floor/your butt whatever. Save it in the texturebank/user/whatever as something like mytexture_d2.tga then without doing anything else, save as again but this time call it mytexture_d.tga (fpsc uses the _d2 as the thumbnail icon when you use the segment editor/browser. The _d2 doesn't actually do anything else. Its just so you can see which texutre you want to use) and then use texture maker file, export as (or whatever it is) and choose normal map. Then save it in the same location but call it mytexture_n.tga now when you use the segment editor choose the first shader option, its just called "bump.fx" i think.

Ot alteast thats what i do/think. I find if i use bumpent on a room like in the video tutorial the shader stuffs up in-game. But bump.fx seems to work alright.
Mav
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 11:58
I just wish you could invert the normal in texture maker.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 12:16:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 12:16:37