Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Why .dds in some cases and .tga in others?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 17:48
Wondering what each is used for, I know tga supports alpha channels among other things, but why are there both .dds and .tga texture files for characters, or other entities for that matter.
Evil Inside
Years of Service
User Offline
Because it just is.

† Evil Inside † Upcoming projects: Heresy, The Ghastly Panic & Danger Zone †
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 22:38
Is it an either or situation? We are beginning to texture our model pack, and I want to make sure I am getting the most out of the engine. Be patient with me, I am only in the real-time animation biz for 3 weeks, but I am a quick study

We are currently working on a modern-day industrial pack, as well as a rural pack, easily used in the ww2 settings as well.
Evil Inside
Years of Service
User Offline
You can either do it with both!

Either .dds or .tga, I personally use both and get no hastle what-so-ever! I can program the scripts for you so they can run smoothly in FPSC if you want, just e-mail me .

† Evil Inside † Upcoming projects: Heresy, The Ghastly Panic & Danger Zone †
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 23:31
Don't quote me on this, but I think that the difference between the two is that the DDS format supports bump-mapping and TGA doesn't. But of course, I could be making this up as I go along!

Duncan Edwards is the one person who, even today, I really felt inferior to. I've never known anybody so gifted and strong and powerful with the presence that he had - Sir Bobby Charlton
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2005 23:44
Yeah, it will be interesting to ask the guys why some are .dds and some .tga. If there was no difference they would probably only use 1. I hope that if it isn't in there now, that we will be able to generate our own mip maps for lod work soon as well. I think an lod system will be the key to large outdoor areas, as well as more realistic pixel shaders.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 00:58
I will give you a clue....

Look for "MIP MAPPING"....

-This...is my boomstick!
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 01:42
But do you have to manually generate your mip maps like in some aps? I am thinking of the nvidia tools(dds exporter).
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 02:42
Your on the correct track. DDS allows you to have 1 image with many MIP for LOD, whereas TGA allows you to have only 1 Alpha Channel. So it all depends on what you need the model for.

-This...is my boomstick!
Jtbullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 02:50
so for transparent objects, like bottles, or windows, targa, and for characters, .dds may be more appropriate. Interesting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 17:33:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 17:33:15