Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / camera problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2005 12:24 Edited at: 29th Sep 2005 11:52
me again, if you use "set camera to object orientation" and then try to point the camera afterwards, it is facing the wrong direction, for example in this sample the camera is pointed at the middle of the matrix, if you press space then it is positioned at the object, set to its orientation and tilted down and moved backwards, this gives a chasecam effect, if you press space to toggle back to the remote view it should just position the camera back at the original position and point it at the middle of the matrix, but it actualy seems to be inheriting the object orientation, if you turn the object and then switch back you get views that are wrong, I cant see any error in this code, it just seems to be this combination that gives weird results, it should just point the camera at 50,0,50, it actualy points it depending on how far you revolve the object (seems like)

Me!

edit: new install, last editor patch, update 5.8

we know where area 51 is, but where are areas 1 to 50?, and what do they do there?.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 15:30
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that this isn't a "your code is executing too quickly" problem? I haven't tested your code, but just looking at it, if its running at a standard sort of speed of 60 FPS, then you're going to be switching the chasecam variable about 60 times every second. So you are going to get a funny effect.

Try building in some timing code to protect your chasecham variable change and see what that does.

Philip

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 14:10 Edited at: 1st Oct 2005 14:38
eh?, the chasecam works just fine, I have no problem with that, it has to update every frame otherwise it wouldn`t ...er...chase?

as for the static view, it just points the camera at the center of the matrix, no rocket science, it works perfectly well as long as you don`t try to use the chasecam, the instant you do and then switch back it is all to pot, since the camera positioning code is only called for one or the other depending on the state of one variable, it can only be calling either the chasecam positioning code or the static code, it can`t be executing both at the same time (oh and the sync rate is 40fps, right at the top of the code there ).

it seems to be the pitch camera down that is causing the error, if you rem it out then it works fine, but why would pitching the camera DOWN cause it to point 45degrees to the left of where you tell it to point and anywhere it feels like if you rotate it?

hey! wheres that picnic basket gone??

why do they say Aliens are gonna be friendly?, surely the agressive ones wipe out the peaceloving ones, so all you have left out there are crazed flesh eating interstellar monsters.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 18:33
* when chasecam is set to 1 the orientation of the camera is set to object 1

* when chasecam goes back to 0 the orientation of the camera needs to be reset

To solve this problem simply use "rotate camera" and reset it to 0, 0, 0 when changing the camera mode.
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
* when chasecam is set to 1 the orientation of the camera is set to object 1 ....correct

* when chasecam goes back to 0 the orientation of the camera needs to be reset ...... EH!?

if you rem out the orientation command you still get the camera NOT pointing at 50,0,50 when you try to, I fail to see what you mean, if I pitch the camera down and then afterwards reposition it and point it at some location, surely it is pointed at that place?, the orientation IS reset by my pointing the camera at a position, if I am standing filming windsurfers out to sea and someone asks me to point my camera at the beach I don`t aim it at the sky, and how can pointing the camera down 45deg aim it left 45deg, it doesn`t make sense to me, if you have a camera at whatever angle and you specify it will point at a location, surely it should point at that location?, I don`t understand you, surely

position camera 0,30,0
point camera 50,0,50

does reset the orientation, what use is the point camera command if it doesn`t point the camera?

why do they say Aliens are gonna be friendly?, surely the agressive ones wipe out the peaceloving ones, so all you have left out there are crazed flesh eating interstellar monsters.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2005 20:10
Okay I have changed it internally so the "point camera" function will handle the switching from euler to free flight automatically. Now your original code will work as you intended.
Me!
Years of Service
User Offline
gosh! thats what I call service, thank you very much <can`t find grovel smiley>

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:48:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:48:16