Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tutorial for seamless textures in Photoshop

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 17:47 Edited at: 5th Oct 2005 17:48
Sorry wheel gator...have been a bit busy but here it is! Hope the images and hyperlinks work, first time I've used them lol.

Firstly, start Photoshop and choose the foreground and background colours you want to use. Then select File...New and choose the size of texture you want to create. I use a 300 dpi image 512x512.

You should then see the following type of image (although may differ depending on colour usage lol):

Then choose Filter...Render...Clouds - this mixes the foreground and background colours together, and should give you something like this:

As this image looks too clean we need to add a bit of noise. So choose Filter...Noise...Add Noise and set the noise amount to around 4 or 5%, choose Gaussian distribution and bung a tick in the Monochromatic checkbox as shown in the next screenshot:

Next we want to add a bit of texture to the erm...texture lol.

Choose Filter...Texture...Texturizer and you'll see a box pop up like the one below. Ensure that the Sandstone texture is selected and play around with the settings of Scaling and Relief until you get the desired effect like this for example:

It looks okay...but is it seamless..?

To make sure the texture is seamless choose Filter...Other...Offset and you'll see this:

Select the horizontal and vertical values to half that of the size of your texture, make sure that Wraparound is selected and when you press OK your texture will be seamless.

For simple textures you'll be able to stop there...but for more detailed textures when you Offset the thing you may see horizontal and vertical lines in the center of the image.

To get rid of these simply choose the Clone Stamp Tool from the Tool bar (shortcut key is 'S'), it looks like this:

Select a suitable sized brush for the clone stamp and position your brush over an unblemished part of the texture and holding down the Alt key click the left mouse button.

This 'clones' that part of the texture. You can now go over your blemished parts of the texture and by clicking the mouse button 'fix' the dodgy lined parts.

When finished, choose Filter...Other...Offset and repeat the offset to ensure that the texture remains seamless.

And there you have it...a seamless stone texture done in a matter of minutes. Save it as a tga or dds file and Bob's your uncle

Hope that was helpful...during the next few days I'll include a few more including brickwork and wood textures

Duncan Edwards is the one person who, even today, I really felt inferior to. I've never known anybody so gifted and strong and powerful with the presence that he had - Sir Bobby Charlton
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 19:07
question... did you get that of the photoshop website. because i saw some photoshop tutorials just like that on the website

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 19:41
Nope...saw it on a different site but thought it was worth sharing. Also have used Photoshop in a work environment for 3 years so that helps a bit too.

All you need to do is experiment with the filters and you'll get some great results including some decent looking rock faces (which I'll also include in the next few days along with the brickwork and wood textures I mentioned earlier).

It'd be helpful to have a seperate part of the forum for tutorials I think just to keep them all in the same place, and it'll be handy for new members of the site or people new to modelling and texturing.

Duncan Edwards is the one person who, even today, I really felt inferior to. I've never known anybody so gifted and strong and powerful with the presence that he had - Sir Bobby Charlton
Wheel Gator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 07:34
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 08:36
Thaks for posting that, thats gr8!

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 19:21:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 19:21:56