Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / i need to no were i get a model making program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2005 18:26
were do i get a good modle construction program?

some one want to tell me, so i can stop begging for models from peopl

srry wheel gator

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 18:20 Edited at: 11th Oct 2005 18:21
if you want a free one - forget it 9 times out of 10 they will be crap and will most likely export to some unknown file format *cough* gmax. You would be far better off getting 3ds max ([href]www.discreet.com[/href]), which costs something like £1000, but only if you don't have friends who know people...

http://www.kwgamestudios - my site
http://kwgamestudios.proboards62.com/index.cgi - my forum
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 18:25
[href]www.blender3d.org[/href]
good for static models...NOT good for anything animated.

K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:01
Is that to do with it being free and developed un-professionaly, I'm sure it's good really but as you say, not good for animations.

http://www.kwgamestudios - my site
http://kwgamestudios.proboards62.com/index.cgi - my forum
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 19:19
IMO the best one for FPSC is Fragmotion it costs $20 you can D/L a trial here http://www.fragmosoft.com/
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2005 23:54
hmm well thx, uhh i have a question, if i wanted to make a site to downoad my stuff how would i go about doing, please direct me to some one or some thing that gives instruction, AND WHEN WILL ME POSTS STOPED BEING DELAYED FOR HOURS

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, FragMotion looks like it has a great potential for folk that are on a budget. I have downloaded the demo and managed to import an FPSC character. I never managed that in MilkShape (I was probably doing something wrong). But I couldn't manage to get the texture on the model. Any pointers?

Here are some questions I have:

Is it possible to import a Poser model and add / create an animation then export it to FPSC?

Can one import a FPSC character save the animation aspect of it and map it onto a Poser model? Or would it be a better idea to export the Poser model to Character Studio for animating and then export to FPSC?

I hope there will be some tutorials on FragMotion, I reckon it will go down well here.

Render & Dismember. Dehumanize Society With A Digital Death Deity.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2005 01:07
Quote: "Is it possible to import a Poser model and add / create an animation then export it to FPSC"

Yes it is possible. I do it all the time. I haven't a clue on how to do it other than using 3D Max and Character Studios. If this is what you have, I would be more than happy to share what I do.

-This...is my boomstick!
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Snail

Well, if you have Frontpage or Dream Weaver, your good to go. And about your posts, I don't know, but every one goes through it. Probably like 20 posts or something......

I ALWAYS have flame proof jacket...just in case...and a shotgun. If you want any, just ask!

We are all nice,except for that one who's name starts in a m and ends in erranvo.
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes it is possible. I do it all the time. I haven't a clue on how to do it other than using 3D Max and Character Studios. If this is what you have, I would be more than happy to share what I do."

Thanks a lot! I haven't got Poser yet... I've been spending a lot of time looking @ various 3D programs and Poser seems to be very good. I'm planning to get Poser in the next couple of weeks. I'd really appreciate your help / knowledge.

devild0g
Years of Service
User Offline
Well. For just starting out, and for the learning curve your gonna need. I would recommend MilkShape. Easy program. I can write you a tutorial on how to make a simple model if you'd like. You can find it here.

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Very good program to start with. I use DBPRO, and DB, and Torque, and this has almost every format you'll need to use the models you create. NOW. Texturing, and what not..Yeah thats a while other headache.

Semper Fidelis.
God Bless.
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can write you a tutorial on how to make a simple model if you'd like."

That'd be gr8! People say that MilkShape is easy, but I can't even open up a FPSC character with it. It's odd... Oh, I tried to download the "Girl" model for a tutorial and apparently I've got to pay for this download site. No way!

I quite like the idea of using Poser and something like Character Shop. At this stage I'll try almost anything!

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 02:42
Just to clarify, Blender is a great program for character animating, much better than other cheap alternatives out there including Fragmotion.

It's also getting an overhaul soon which will put it in the same ballpark as max.

The reason animating in Blender isn't good for FPSC is because the exporter doesn't have the option for binary compression. That's it.

It's also not a good program for beginners.

This is why Fragmotion is a good option. It loads and saves .dbo files which is great. Just got my serial for it today.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2005 18:56
k thx

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Cellbloc Studios? Are you there? I'm going to order Poser next week! Hopefully you've got some tutorials for me! Thanx!

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
**B*u*m*p**

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2005 17:51
Flashing snall:
I recommend gamespace. If you can't afford it, fragmotion or milkshape are good.
Anyway you have to know that this are only "tools". You have to learn to use any tool and expect to be learning for weeks, even months, before you have something working. But it is worth the effort. There are lots of tutorials on the internet, which makes it easier.
The main areas to cover are: Modeling, UVmapping, texturing, rigging, animating. The only thing that will make you sure to use any tool and have results is experience. And we all wish you good luck and patience.
Gamespace has a couple of freely downloadable video tutorials where you can look at the complete making of a model.
http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/tutorial/video.asp

This is a site where you will find milkshape and C4D tutorials:
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/tutorials.html

Deadly pixel:
I use Poser. It an excellent program intended for quality 2D rendering and has its own animation system. The models for poser are pro-made and they have some issues on game making:
a) They are super-high poly count, for quality rendering, not for games. Forget about using a human model with 50,000 to 120,000 polygons+, usually. Textures are generally 4000x4000.
b) This models are very strict on copyright issues. You can not simply use their models if you plan to make a game and include the object or a simplified model. Read their license.
c)There are some tricks for exporting animation by using BVH, but usually this works if you preserve the original geometry, which is useless for games. Getting that animation involves converting into different bone systems, which can be not only time consuming but in the way you ruin the original animation.
By far the best thing to do is make your own models, and for that purpose, Poser is an excellent source of "photos" of models. Some weeks ago I placed a "work in progress" using that technique, here:
http://forums.caligari.com/gamespace/showthread.php?t=2645

May the 3d force B with U
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoa! Looks like I may be better off learning how to retexture the models already there... Where can I find a decent tutorial on this?

But I am interested into learing how to use a 3D program. How & where do I start? What I am looking for is a complete guide from start to finish as I am an absolute beginner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
What I find a little frustrating is that there are all these wonderful looking tools within the Shop section but little or no information on how to incorporate them with FPSC.

I reckon some of those products would shift in volumes if they had tutorials on how to make the following from scratch:

Human / Alien models
Weapons
Objects
Prefabs
+

Would you agree?

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 00:23
Is you want to retexture the models, I think at first of two options:

a)Painting over the existing texture:
Download the directX sdk, and there you will find the DDS format importer/exporter for photoshop.
It is just a matter of opening the texture and painting over it. Backup the original. Remember that a X file has one mesh description file and one (or more) graphic format file which are the textures. If the original model uses, by example, the file "grass.dds", any graphic file that you place there with that same name and type will be taken by the engine as the texture file. Of course you can not change a dds for a jpg. Since many fpsc original models have dds textures, you have follow the same format.

b) 3D painting. There are many programs to paint over the existing textured model in 3D. The paint is performed on the texture file really. Actually it is like real painting. By far the most affordable is fragmotion, but at this moment the brushes are very coarse. The author told me that soon will have the capabilities to perform texture painting on 3D. You could use deeppaint3d but the price is high, about 500 bucks. Cinema 4D bodypaint is quite expensive but looks really good.(almost 4 grand).

With existing models you have the luck that they are already UV mapped and it is just a matter of paint over.

Here I found some models. This is a site of a free spanish fpsc-like program and they have lots of free stuff, including nice textured and animated models for milkshape.
http://www.entidad-3d.com/

Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 00:38 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 00:45
Quote: "Here I found some models. This is a site of a free spanish fpsc-like program and they have lots of free stuff, including nice textured and animated models for milkshape."

That fpsc like program is called Genesis3D and you can also get it in english. It's a bit outdated and not as easy to use as fpsc.

As for the models, pretty cool, but I doubt they can be used in a commercial project.

Main question is, how in the world did you manage to open these models.... I don't see the genesis3D .act listed as import option at all!

If I do use FPSC to create a FPS? What's a FPS supposed to be anyway???
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 01:02 Edited at: 25th Oct 2005 01:03
Well, Entidad3D uses Genesis 3D engine in fact, but the program is a stand alone kit in spanish, designed by Jordi Perez as stated on his site. I ignore details because have not interest nor time, and furthermore who needs it, when we have FPSC? is there an English version? I don't know.

To open the files, my little padawan, use the force, or in milkshape, use >tools >decompile .act file.

In order to know if the models can be used on commercial or no-commercial projects, you have to dig into their license agreements, which I din't find, and I don't expect to be much different from most free stuff found anywhere.
Even fonts have conditions.
Being a developer myself, if in need of that model for profit purposes, I would contact the author and make a deal.

Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 17:52
Quote: "To open the files, my little padawan, use the force, or in milkshape, use >tools >decompile .act file. "

Guess your force is better then mine...... nothing happens when I do that with those models. My force is 1.7.6 the newest one, but no luck.

That's why I really don't like Milkshape at all, half of the stuff I try to do never works. At least trueSpace is solid most of the time.... guess it's time for the gamePak.

JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 18:15
Benjamin 2005
After decompiling import the .bdy file ,>File >Import its the fourth one down Genisis 3d BDY.
Also dont forget to right click in the 3d view and select Textured so you can see the model with texture.
Benjamin 2005
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 21:37
OK. I'm slowly getting there, thanks.

For those of you missing the animations..... after you import the bdy you can import a .mot (motion file) and it will import the animation too.

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
It's getting a little clearer... I guess I just have to have a go and see what happens!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:16:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:16:37