Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Terrain Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 22:10
Is there a way to place terrains without using segments ? or replace floor grid with your terrain???

If you dont have what it takes to create "Spend Alot Of Money"
Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 23:33 Edited at: 14th Oct 2005 23:35
Just create it as an entity.

I've created buildings as entities and did create doors and gates as segments but found i was having a few probs with the placement and the effects of the cutting block on my models so i tried them as entitys and are a lot easier to place as you have a lot more control so i will "probably" never use the segment editor again. (he says )

Simon.
The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2005 23:58
no what i am saying is that when u use terrains u must put floor segments down first or your terrain will fall through & when u place ur character models they will not be on ur terrain but on ur floor.
so i need to know how & if u can change the floor grid to ur terrain or how can u place your characters on ur terrain instead of the floor.

Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 18:34
I've just done a test and believe this is what you are after.

If you uzip the attached file to you FPSC "Files" folder and run the hill test map you will see a simple large landscape mesh placed roughly in the middle with no floor segments at all.

I also put a player start in again on no floor segments and test run it and it works fine although you may fall off at the top of the hill as i should have made the mesh larger than the main grid but you can see the effect which i believe you are after.

If not then sorry.

Hope it helps.

Simon.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Simon, this is pretty cool. Thanks! Funny thing is, in preview mode I fall right through, but when I build a test game it's fine.

HP Pavilion A705W 2.93 GHz, 1GB RAM, BFG Tech GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB, 160 GB HDD
Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 12:41
Ahh right, i see.

I don't bother with the preview mode just go for a test level as i think they both take the same time to load and the test level mode is better looking.

Simon.
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 16:59
Simon, were you able to make the player emit sound when walking over the terrain?

May the 3d force B with U
Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 18:46
Never tried adding sound to it so i don't know.

Sorry.

Simon.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried the 'material index' option in the .fpe?

HP Pavilion A705W 2.93 GHz, 1GB RAM, BFG Tech GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB, 160 GB HDD
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2005 21:32 Edited at: 19th Oct 2005 21:33
If I put some value on that parameter, the terrain object emits sound but only on a certain area near the center of its relative axis. It is something about its collision area, sphere or ellipse, I think.

I did a test terrain you can download here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=62824&b=24

and the fpe is commented if anyone wants to experiment.

I think the way to go by now is to put segments with programmed material sound below the terrain object. Adjusting some parameters, it sounds great. (If you put a grass sounding segment, sounds like grass and so on.)

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 03:02
FPSC terrains do not need to have floor segments placed below them. I presume that this is now clarified before this post but just so's everyone knows. All that would achieve is to add unecessary world objects to the level.

Placing floor segments and alike for such things as paths "Over" the terrain is another matter however and may be necessary for your design. They work perfectly successfully combined in this way.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 06:26
Well the segments I mentioned are only for sound to be emmited when the player walk on it. If the terrain model is on the same layer, it works well.
Of course this will be until we solve how to put standalone sound on a terrain model.

The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2005 10:05
JDforce what terrain program are you using?

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 17:04 Edited at: 21st Oct 2005 17:06
Method 1:
Photoshop for the heightmap. There are some other like terragen or scapemaker for random heightmaps. I prefer to do it myself on photoshop with different brushes.
Then I use a program called height, that takes the heightmap and convert it to 3d.

Method 2:
Use Truespace to model the terrain. I start with a cube, flatten it and expand it to be like a piece of wood. Then in the upper face you quad divide and pull up hills. You can use metaballs for dynamic grows, and as final preparation you poly-reduce the model.
----

Finally, with gamespace I cleanup and finish the terrain geometry, Check for holes and scale it accordingly. I paint textures with photoshop. Terrains have a simple planar UV generally.

A note about scale, is that fpsc seem to have a different world scale than gamespace. So, the "fpsc 4 dummies" model (a thread on this forum), has 80 metres on Gamespace scale.

You can download my buggy model and a big terrain on the link below, where you could test the terrain block which is about 1.5 miles wide on both directions. Everything was done with the method above. For use on FPSC you have to edit the terrain model and change its scale (make it bigger) and of couse do the fpe file for it.
Currently I improved my method of UVmapping by using UVMapper instead of gamespace UV editor. If you have 3Impact and delphi you can compile the program include, which has awsome physics.

http://www.3impact.com/3Impact_Engine/yabbse/index.php?topic=941.0

The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 00:44
cool, im using geoscape its works very nice but the only problem im having is when placing characters they fall through my terrain. but my player marker doesnt, kinda weird.

Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 00:56
The Hitman: were you checking the level with the preview level button. When doing it this way then your characters will fall through the terrain.

I don't bother using this button at all cause the test level button is a lot better and loads about the same as well and your characters don't fall through the terrain.

Simon.
The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 01:19 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2005 01:26
nope i didnt use the preview button ,i used the test mode and nothing else falls through but character models

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 04:20
Hitman, it should be a closed geometry, triangulated model. The triangles should be a certain size for the collision to occur. Another thing to try is to place the model initially at a higher level than the terrain. If it falls, it could mean that it started just under the ground level of the model.
If you wish, I can give you a hand on analysing the model, you can send me via e-mail and I will test.

The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 05:09
ok jdforce i sent you the terrain with some basic info

Simon Richardson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 13:42
Quote: " nope i didnt use the preview button ,i used the test mode and nothing else falls through but character models"

Ok, sorry.

Simon.
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 01:09
OK. Latest news.
I found the problem with terrains and am about to post the results, on another, clean thread.

The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 04:14
ok so what was the problem?

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2005 07:19
Gonna need some little time to prepare a really useful answer and explanation, plus a fully working terrain for all to beta test, so my experiment is tested on many computers.
I have now corporate partners on visit for a couple of days, and have little time left, but will try to do my best.

JD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:21:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:21:14