Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Skycube Tutorial... anyone interested in making one?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 06:01
Hey, I have six images I woul like to make into a skycube, can anyone make a tutorial for all of us so we can learn how, I'll provide you the images. They're all in .DDS format, and I can change it to lot of other formats too.

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 09:08
It would atleast be nice to get an eplannation of the file names
for example:

ngt_D = this is the filename for the ground
ngt_U = this is the filename for the sky
ngt_? = what letter specifies the left side?
ngt_? = what letter specifies the right side?
ngt_? = what letter specifies the front side?
ngt_? = what letter specifies the back side?

NOTE: I'm useing Terragen to make these, so that will make a little more sense as to where I'm coming from

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 01:49
Sunflash,

I will have a complete tutorial available on Skycubes.com when it opens in a few weeks.

--formally FPSCreators--

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 03:13
ok good! I found out some information about the letter code in FPSC, here is what each pictures name is: (I'm useing the "ngt" skycube)

ngt_D = Ground Picture
ngt_U = Sky Picture
ngt_L = Back Picture
ngt_R = Front Picture
ngt_F = Right Picture
ngt_B = Left Picture

So, in Terragen, if you rendered and saved an image when you were pointing to the exact left (-90 degrees) then the file name you need to save it to would be myskycube_b.dds

The only thing I need help with right now is the .X model, I don't know how to make it so I can point it to different textures. I currently made a new skycube, (I'll post it when I fix the sky, it looks odd) however, I couldn't copy the .X file and change the name, and since I don't have my own model, I have to name the images the exact same as another skycube, and I have to replace the images. Once I can figure this out, I will hopefully produce several free FPSC compatible skycubes for everyone to use, all you will need to do is download it, and it will save to your skycubes section in your FPSC folder (providing you saved it to C:\ drive, and if you didn't, you can always manually tell the download where to save.)

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 07:37
SunFlash, you are on the right path, but here is a quick way until skycubes does a tutorial.

make a directory with 3 character like /skybank/my-skys/ani
save all your files to that directory.
Just open one of the existing .x files with notepad and change the file names, stay with a 3 character filename with _? like
TextureFilename { "Ani_D.tga"; }
save the .x with the 3 characters like ANI.x
make sure your images are named with the same characters ANI_D.tga

You might have to rotate the _u and _d images to work.

I tried longer filenames and it didn't work but, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 16:31
Yup, I've had to rotate quite a bit so far, just the _u and _d pics.
I've already tried to open the .x file, I didn't see anything to change, I'll look again, I was tird then

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 18:30 Edited at: 17th Oct 2005 19:04
ok, someone take a look at this, why does Terragen ruin the sky and ground pics? look at the sky in this, it's way to dark, and theres circles in it. I don't know why the clouds don't match up, just ignore that I guess. Now look at the ground, it looks like it's rotated wrong, but it's not! I made a cube that the ground was perfect, it was just the sky, but on accident that got deleted... somehow, I''m still trying to figure out.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 19:06
Sunflash,

I don't use Terragen, but I'm going to take a look at it and see if I can figure out your problem.

One note though...I noticed that the Terragen EULA is specific in that you can't use it for commerical purposes. Something to keep in mind if you're planning a commercial release.

--formally FPSCreators--

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 19:33
Yeah, I plan to buy it before I sell anything, I'll make Skycubes I sell with other program. If I may be so bold as to ask, what do you use?

SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 23:14
Sunflash,

I took a look at Terragen. I can't make heads nor tails of that interface to be honest with you.

Here's the keys to Skycubes:

1. Camera FOV needs to be at 90 degrees
2. 6 images at the following camera positions

0 | 0 | 0 (F)
0 | 90 | 0 (L)
0 | -90 | 0 (R)
0 | 180 | 0 (B)
90 | 0 | 0 (D)
-90 | 0 | 0 (U)

Axis Chart = X | Y | Z

Set your render size to 512x512.

Once your six images are rendered (uncompressed of course), the (U) image needs to be rotated 180 degrees clockwise using any image editing software.

Then, convert all six images to .DDS format.

What I can't figure out in Terragen is how to change that Field of View on the camera. Perhaps someone with more Terragen experience can do that.

As to what I use...what, you want me to give up my trade secrets before I even get to open my site?

Just kidding. It really doesn't matter becuase I'm only going to be selling to those people who can't make their own, don't have time to make their own, or simply just don't want to hassle with it. Hell, I may open the site and not sell a damn one of them. Luckily, it's only a hobby anyway

So, to answer your quesiton I use Bryce 5.5 (DAZ|3D), Adobe Photoshop Elements, DDS Converter 2 and GoCubic (for the QTVR's). Most of the models I'm using in the Skycubes I have purchased from the DAZ|3D store as well.

Hope that helps.

--formally FPSCreators--

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 03:01
lol, I just came back to say that I think the problem is that when I convert BMP pictures to .DDS DDS Conveter 2 (Yup, I use it too ) it compresses the .DDS images 70%! I'll try it again without compressing, then I'll post the results.

If you still want to know ALL the details about making skycubes I've prvided a link below. The tut was made for "How to make Skycubes for Quake 3", but it should be easy enough to understand.

http://fps.brainerd.net/terragen.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:55:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:55:22