Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / my first level demo..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 00:03
Hello, how is everyone?

I'm posting a demo of my first attempt at creating a level for some contructive criticism... well it doesn't have to be all that constuctive.. i can take the abuse.

The game i'm trying to create doesnt have much of a story plot as of yet but consists of a "hero" with an unlikely problem.. he's a paranoid schizophrenic. It is the various voices hearable during gameplay that will lead the player through the game's levels. As the player progress's through the game, personalities will emerge from the voices and form strained yet humorous relationships with the player. By doing this it is my hope to give the player a feeling of being accompanied on the journey... but in a strange, and "hopefully" entertaining way.

With access to a pro sound recording studio.. i hope to have some professional sounding voice-overs implemented into the game when it is all done..

what i ask of you FPSC users is to check out my "demo" level and to give me some pointers on how i might be able to make it better since i'm new to FPSC or any kind of game making at that. I've had FPSC for about a week now so i'm still learning the ins and outs of the program..

Thank you
Harry...

http://files.filefront.com/Project2demoexe/;4292380;;/fileinfo.html
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 00:29
here is a screen from the demo...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 00:58
you couldve put it in ur other post u know, the screenies look good

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 03:37
what other post? are you talking about the other thread i started? that was for screenshots of a completely diffrent level that is not gonna be in this game.. this level will be that is why i made a demo of it and i would like some second opinions..
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 05:49
just another screenie..

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2005 19:04
Has anyone tried the level out at all?? I would really appreciate some second opinions on it. In my eyes a bad review is better than a good review.. that's the only way i'll learn to make my levels better.
foleypro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 07:51
Whats your Frame rate of Play....?

As Always B3D....www.fnggames.com

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 09:11
between 18 and 33 frames...
kraM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 13:41 Edited at: 29th Oct 2005 13:48
Hello Harry,

Well I downloaded your game and thought I'd give you a FULL review. (this level deserves one) First off the load time was a little long, but over all not to bad. Though you might add some music in place of that horrible stock wav file, I really think it makes the load time's seem soooo... much longer then it really is. Anyway, on to the game.

I must say you have a very keen eye for detail and great placement ability. Right from the start I felt drawn in to this level, everything just clicked.

The beginning of the level flowed evenly and I didn't notice much hesitation in my movement. The placement of the weapon was good and felt right. The first enemy had good movement and attacked well. Though I would rather have started off with 100 health. (this would have made the longer range fight a bit more intense IMHO)

Moving on to the second enemy, I really liked his placement as it lead to great movement on his part, but I did have a run in with a third enemy. I'm thinking he was in the room on the left before you get to the first tank (with the steam and barrel)

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not but I never saw him, just took a hit or two then I turned to watch a pistol slowly side into the wall. (did you by chance place him behind the door?)

Continuing on to the stairwell I noticed very little hesitation even though you had enemies and had a pretty good amount of open area.

The only place I found some hesitation came in the next section, which I admit was still very playable. The area was large yet everything fit well together, the layout was proportioned very well. (meaning that the room felt even and full, but gave plenty of room for movment)

Here is where I came across your "Invisible enemy" yet again this time after I thought I had cleared the area. I was exiting the upper most room, when I saw a pistol gentle floating in front of me at the "T" section of the gangway, that I'm sure was not there when I came past before. As I approached to gather what I thought was ammo I took a hit for health, after shooting the unseen enemy I got a quick view of the Thug model.

I also found another at the bottom of the stairs. Again same thing floating pistol held by a invisible thug model, neither of which fought back or even moved from thier place. Again I'm not sure if this was intentional, but it added a creepy element that's for sure. (by my count there were 6 enemies in this area; 4 seen and 2 unseen, Though I did hear another walking around the medical/lab areas that I could not locate)

As for the rest, right back to good flow and little if any hesitation or stutter. Over all I'd say; if this is how your going to make a complete game, with the great placement, the easy flow of the map, the nice balance of space and your eye for detail. Then you'll definitely have a winner in my book.

Regards
Mark

If not for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 17:00
Mark, thank you for the thourough review.. it is good to hear some second opinions on this level as i have some mixed feelings about it.

I am extremely happy to hear that you did feel "drawn" to the level. this is my main goal for this game.. as it is supposed to be a adventure/shooter.

Yes that loading music file is extremely annoying lol.. i actually forgot to change it before i had the .exe built. I do plan to use custom loading/title screens when the game is finished (if i ever learn how to make them). The game will also include a soundtrack done by a local band and close friends of mine... For Sorrows End
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=5974020&Mytoken=FE02515D-7D2C-1261-3469F75917D1DF5A3944297

As for the enemies... this is where i'm having trouble with FPSC. Oddly, people are having diffrent results with the enemies in this level.. i can assure you that if you were to play the level again then you would have mixed results with the enemies the second time around.. My trigger spawned enemies dont do jack ship after a spawn.. sometimes they completely appear.. other times they remain invisible. The idea was to have those enemies appear while the player explores the upper most room to give the effect that they had just walked in the large room and were heading in the player's direction. The one thing they definately fail to do is move and act alive after the spawn.. after countless attempts i still can't get them to move. I didnt remove any of the "problem" enemies hoping that someone might be able to give me an idea of what i'm doing wrong.

I also have a very frustrating problem with enemies that either never load from the beggining or just dissapear before i even get to them..
Through out the level your supposed to encounter 12 enemies(1 unarmed)..

since posting this demo, i have added some extras to the level that should give it some extra longevity.. Mark, i would be grateful if you could give it another run through as soon as i'm finished with it(or anyone else for that matter). hopefully i'll have this enemey problem sorted out.

thanks again for your review.. it is much appreciated. i know it's not easy to ask people to download 60megs.. but anyway, thank's for your time and reply.

almost forgot.. the third enemy is supposed to be near the steaming tank as he fires at the player from a crouched position as soon as the player is visible down that hallway.. I have NEVER seen him anywhere else but near that tank so i dont know how he got behind the wall or door. if only i could get this damn AI to work properly
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 17:12
(( for some reason it doesn't allow me to edit my posts, as i keep getting error messages))

Mark, the game will be played on a 100 point health basis instead of 500.. since the level really wasn't finished i just wanted to allow the player to roam freely without worries of dieing.. the level is more intense though with 100 health and the difficulty is just where i like it (when all enemies are properly positioned of course).

for all the Premiership fans out there eagerly awaiting today's footy matches.... GO HAMMERS!!
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 17:28
Its not often I get impressed, but I must say that this looks great I am going to download it right now!

Trust everyone...
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 18:01
I must say... the file is big.

Why don't you do us all a favor and post the levels zips instead.

"ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"

He who knows everything knows nothing at all.
Shadow Storm Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 18:57
i am downloading the file now, shall give a full review once downloaded and maybe played a few times

Max B.A Johnson
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2005 19:36
Merranvo, could i email you the level? I have begun some modifications on it again and would rather not post an unfinished level..

I would also like to get some more feedback on people's frame rates during the level... i know it's not exactly an easy level on machines but i get between 18-30 fps on my workstation: P4 3.0e, 1gb pc3200, 6800le 128mb (softmodded/OCed).. oddly enough though on my gaming rig there is no performance improvement whatsoever: P4 3.4e, 2gb pc3200, x800xl 256mb (Oced). So it would seem to me that FPSC isn't all that machine dependent.. but if enough people have a problem running it i will also probably make a lower quality version with low texture res. and less content.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 08:50
just wanted to post some new screenies..

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 08:57
one more...

Attachments

Shadow Storm Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 13:43
I found it was really slow on my comp and my comp runs most things pretty fast.. apart from fpsc games lol, every flippin game made with this runs slow thts the only problem, my comp spec is below, i wud suggest lowering the resolution
I ahve an intel pintium 4 2.60GH
1GB RAM

so?? i dont know where to go from here.. does my comp really need uprading or is it the game? because my very detailed games are slow also

Max B.A Johnson
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
It's FPSC, FPSC FPS is capped at 30.

We are all nice,except for that one who's name starts in a m and ends in erranvo.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2005 17:23
im at 40% downloading it, then i shall givemy comments...

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 00:15
Ultra Star Games, can you list what video card(gpu) you are using? If by chance that you don't know what you have.. right click on My Computer, click Properties, click Hardware, click Device Manager.. it will list what graphics core you have in Display Adapters.

I'm almost finished with the level and will make both a high res. and low res. version of it.

Yes, unfortunately fpsc is capped at 33, but there must be a reason for that. But cap or no cap it is still a very slow engine and limiting.. I really hope that a future update will speed it up a bit.

With the new additions to this level that i have made.. i feel it is a bit more complete.. here is another screen.

Attachments

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 03:01
harry harrision, ok it was good, i know you said this, but weres the story, also i got confused on what to do, then by running around shooting everyhting in sight i won by picking stuff up, Plus this was probly just me, but i had no sound what , i liked the textures ....., 8 out of 10

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 03:28
flashing snall, like i said before.. it is just a "demo" of the level. No story has been implemented as of yet.. i plan to use voice-overs for giving the player his objectives during a level. I want it to seem as if it's voices in the player's head. That is why the main character will be a paranoid schizophrenic

As for the plot.. i haven't chosen one yet but i have some ideas..

the objectives in the "demo" are just there to allow the player to explore the entire level.. once u have picked up every objective and the game ends then u know have seen the entire map..

As for not having sound... i dont know. It works ok for me

thanks for having a look
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2005 15:12
Does anyone know of any good AI scripts that are available for FPSC? something better than the "stock" AI scripts.

thanks
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2005 22:56
I make AI, or more as edit my own (AI v 2.1.3 (from scripts section)).

Your mod has been erased by a signature.
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 04:15
Thanks.. i'm gonna try them out
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:52
I was extremely bored at work so i thought i would upload some new screenshots from a level i'm working on.. hope u like em.

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:55
more..

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2005 22:56
last one..

Attachments

Reefer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 18:12
I must say Harry, these screens you have put up are all excellent! They all have a very moody feel to them and look visually appealing. The demo was good too I will be personally awaiting more demos from you.

GOOD STUFF
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2005 20:36
Thanks for the kind comments.. it is much appreciated

But i probably won't be making any demos till we are graced by the presence of Riker 9. I see that you are new here.. if you want you can run a search for Riker 9 on these forums and read all about it if you havn't already.

Thanks again,
HH
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 02:34 Edited at: 12th Nov 2005 02:41
Here is My screen shot...

The door that will not open... and the Wraith of the Player God.

FPS Fluctuated a lot. But was slowest in the big room (as it always is... Mabey I should try light mapping my level and see how it goes...) But it remained playable (above 15fps)

However some poor events (Like the non-shooting thugs) were in the level and really detracted from game play (I gave them an honerable 3 shots in the back).

I also noticed your use of keys, but you did not change the key name. That means that one key opens all doors. You just need to change the name of the key, and the usekey field of the door.

Also, the amount of empty rooms is really depressing. Yes it adds to the scene (Prisson) but a little give might be nice.

One more thing. Those chairs in the room gave me an Idea (That worked) pick up a chair, and hide behind it, stick your neck out to draw the fire, and fire back. The chair takes the damage for you! (not 100% but consiterably less then what you get for strait attacks.)

Your mod has been erased by a signature which was erased by a mod being erased by a signature.

"Ye oft de adopte early shalt move mountains, and be gods among men"

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 15:14
Thanks for haveing a look.. as i said before, that level was no where near complete. I was just really hoping someone could help me out with the non shooting thugs and dissapearing enemies.. but i have since fixed those problems and also finsihed setting up the minor details such as key names and stuff. I also added the final labratory room to the level and now it's alot more complete.

Speaking of lightmapping.. beleive it or not but that level runs at the same fps with lightmapping off eventhough theres like 50 lights placed.. which is a bit odd. Could it be that the engine was still calculating the lights as still being active?
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 15:23 Edited at: 12th Nov 2005 15:24
Who knows...
What I find suprising is the fact that your game didn't stall as much as mine does. But because your windows open OUT of the game, that means that they cause no slowdowns.

Light Mapping... I can't answer that one.

P.S. What was with that door?

Your mod has been erased by a signature which was erased by a mod being erased by a signature.

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 19:47
If its the same door im thinking of.. it's supposed to be locked. Why do you ask(i can see from the screenshot that you really wanted it open)?
Merranvo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2005 20:03
After I beat the thugs, blew up all the things... and then killed everything... that seemed to be the only place left to go...

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2005 00:01
Yeah.. that is my fault. I forgot to mention in my original post what the objectives were.. since the level wasn't complete at the time, I placed 4 objectives to pick up in the map that would complete the level(2 dossiers, 1 briefcase, and a set of keys). I guess you can say they were temporary objectives

sorry about that..
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 19:03
just wanted to post some new screens..

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 19:06
1 more..

Attachments

Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 19:08
last one..

Thanks for having a look!

Attachments

Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 00:31
Those are great screenshots!I'm just about to download it and I'll post a review after I'm done playing it
Allen Dark
Years of Service
User Offline
Harry, I just played the demo and it was really good. I like your attention to detail and level design as it adds an element of immersion. I might of missed it somewhere but have you released the completed version of that level?

Also, did you use any custom textures or is it all original FPSC stuff?

nice screenies by the way(some are a bit dark though)
Harry Harrison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 15:24
Thanks for the kind words everyone.. glad you liked it.

Allen, no I haven't released any other versions of that level but probably will after Riker 9 is released(hopefully it can bennefit from smoother frame rates). The level is much improved now after having the enemy problems fixed and after having added the final room(which adds what the level was missing IMO).

this level uses only FPSC media IIRC

Yes the screens are a bit dark.. unfortunately they always come out a bit darker then the actual gameplay.

thanks again!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 05:32:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 05:32:56