Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / PSiONIC3D Zombie Floats?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 16:36
I altered the dzombie.fpi and now the zombie from PSIONIC walks and attacks but he/she floats above the ground.

No..hitting the enter button did nothing. Suggestions to make my zombie not so light on his feet?

I am redoing the texture and I broke the neck in MilkShape. I will share this with you all after I get he darn thing to not float.

thanks

relax - in a 100 years who's gonna care
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
Could be something to do with the Physics weight or friction?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 17:00 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2005 17:08
I tried adjusting those and nothing seemed to change. I even turned off physics to see if it would have some effect. Nope.

Another thing is - if I hit the PAGE down even once it goes too far down as if it was not floating.

Dang Zombies!

Hmmm.

Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
You've probably already thought of this, but i've done it afew times without thinking.

Make sure that your zombie is on the correct layer, if it's on the layer abover everything else, it'll appear to be floating.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:15
I only have one layer..but good thinking.

The undead S.O.B. only floats an arm's length above.

The living dead can be a pain sometimes.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:20
go into the fpe and decrease the the offset...that should bring him down...

madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 18:57 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2005 19:18
that didnt work either

RATZ

arrggg

Jason Webb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 19:09
Hi

I've been struggling with a similar problem all day:

Building a model in Autocad, bringing it into Gamespace as a DXF, then exporting as .x file for FPSC. Despite the origin of the DXF and the .x file being bottom centre of the entity, when brought into FSPC it either floats slightly above the ground or sticks through the floor. (NOTE: this is not a problem with using layers but rather a problem with fine positioning within the chosen layer).

Adjusting the vertical position of the entity in Gamespace can be used to make it look right in the FSPC preview mode but once you run the level the object still floats or hangs under the floor. What's more, the collision detection bounding box is offset from the entity so it's like there's a large, invisible wall surrounding the object some distance from it.

I must admit that I haven't as yet experimented with the offset setting in the FPE file as I haven't found enough info to tell me what the acceptable value range is.

I'm Assuming that "offy=" is the value to adjust, so is this value in FSPC "units" (i.e. after the model has been scaled by the value in the FPE file) or is it the same as the actual units of your model (i.e. inserting a value equal to your models height before scaling will move it upwards by it's own height)?

Sorry if any of this has been asked before but this just seemed relevant to the subject of the intial posting.

PS: what does "fixnewy=" control in the FPE file?

Thanks for your help.

Jason
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Does your zombie have any joints that are not scaled properly with it? Do you scale it in the FPE or is the mesh right to begin with?
madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 23:36 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2005 23:37
I had to make my Zombie model scaled=3000 to get it to come in the size I need. I adjusted the position orientations and it did nothing.

It does all the animation and chasing and biting it's suppose to..just keeps floating about a meter about the ground. I would just drop it but I made a very nice (if not great) texture for it and want to use it.

Now I am having a problem with it appearing in a prefab. It is visible when I just layout a few segments to test. But when I use a prefab...no visible Zombie though he still attacks.

I won't even get into what happened with the rat entity I used for PSIONIC. Its a similar mess but in a rat sort of way.

Arrrg again.

madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 23:46 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2005 23:49
Here is a screen shot of the zombie in question

Quote: "PS: what does "fixnewy=" control in the FPE file?"

This has to do with which direction it faces. 180 might mean its back to you depending on the models original orientation.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to be clear, have you adjusted the z offset?

-----
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 04:55
madhouse what program did u use to create or convert your model? that may have something to do with it.

If you dont have what it takes to create "Spend Alot Of Money"
madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 15:07 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 15:23
Quote: "Just to be clear, have you adjusted the z offset?
"

Ya I did that. Several times just incase the infection was spreading to my brain.

Quote: "madhouse what program did u use to create or convert your model? that may have something to do with it.
"

I used Milkshape (this is the PSIONIC zombie model)

Quote: "Maybe the solution for the waypoint problem might work."

I will try the waypoint. This might work. I will let you know (since you're waiting on pins and needles for the answer - lol)

Would somebody be up for receiving the whole thing (.fpi, .fpe, .x, texture) in a folder via e-mail and see if they can do something with it? I really like the broken neck on this guy and...well...we know how hard it is to find a decent zombie in this town.

I opened the window and influenza (relax - the world is not coming to an end)
Jason Webb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 21:04
Firstly, thanks to Madhouse for the info on "fixnewy=". I appreciate it.

Well I finally got to the bottom of my particular problem and thought that maybe what I've learnt may help Madhouse with his problem as it does sound similar.

It was all to do with what height the model was positioned in Gamespace in relation to the vertical origin. I know you're using Milkshape but presumably the principles are the same.

I assumed that having the base of the model at a value of Z=0 in Gamespace would sit it correctly in FSPC but actually I need the vertical midpoint of the model at Z=0 in Gamespace in order to get it to import in the right position and with the correct bounding box.

It might also be useful to check the settings when you import the model into your modelling program and the settings when you export the .x file as your modelling program may be re-centering the model and messing up it's positioning in some way.

I also found that in order to "play safe" when making any mods to the model, it's best to delete both the DBO and BIN file and delete and reinsert any instances of the model in your level, using the "enter" key if needs be to set the right vertical level.

PS: In FSPC it would appear that "offy=" is the vertical offset variable not "offz=" as someone mentioned further up the thread.

Best Regards

Jason
madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2005 22:59 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2005 23:59
Thanks Jason.

No luck.

I might have to go back to using my first love..LW. Milkshape is kinda clumsy (or I just dont know it.)

I opened the window and influenza (relax - the world is not coming to an end)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:41:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:41:03